Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine just purchased this thing called a MIRK. He told me about it over the phone and I thought he was full of shit, this thing changes red lights to green lights in seconds...lol...From what he was saying cops and rescue vehicles have them??? He bought it at a PI store and ive found a couple websites for you guys to check it out..thought this would be perfect for some of you crazy ass speed demons!!..lol.. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :rofl:

http://alphanet.zoovy.com/category/mirtmobileinfraredtran/

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think intersections usually only have one set of sensors. They are usually in the path to hospitals, and outbound from firestations and the like.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Those are supposed to only be used on emergency vehicles and some states have outlawed them and there is plans in motion to ban it nationwide for non-emergency type vehicles.

Its dangerous is what it is.

·
Premium Member
19,233 Posts
How can I get one?

·
Registered
542 Posts
They are fairly common out here in CA, but your screwing yourself (at least in cali) cause all they do is make the whole intersection go Red. It's very illegal (possibly felony) to posses one if you are not licensed for it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
mxblue23 said:
They are fairly common out here in CA, but your screwing yourself (at least in cali) cause all they do is make the whole intersection go Red. It's very illegal (possibly felony) to posses one if you are not licensed for it.
How does it make sense to make the whole intersection red? I believe they were originally installed as "OptiCon", and they change the light green in the direction of the Emergency Vehicle. I always thought they were base more on a strobe-type of projection though.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
We went through this on a local street racing board awhile back. There are actually quite a few systems out there. Generally all they do is extend the length of time that a green light stays green, and on some systems, if the light is already red, it shortens the amount of time it stays red.

The 3M OptiCon is one of them, and I think it's the oldest. It's basically a plain old strobe light, and in many places ANY strobe light will set off the system. I've read about problems with the strobes on top of school buses messing up traffic patterns.

There are others which only respond to strobes at a certain frequency, and there are programmable systems that only respond to strobes in a certain pattern. All of the newer systems rely on a coded infrared signal.

They're also used in some large cities to help the city bus system stay on schedule. Buses that are running behind schedule can extend the green lights until they're in the right place at the right time again.

All in all, it's a crapshoot that whatever you buy is going to work with whatever is installed in your city -- if anything is installed at all. On top of that, they're intended to help slower-moving emergency vehicles (fire trucks, ambulances, etc) get through heavy traffic. If you search around you'll see that cops generally don't find them useful because they don't react very quickly.

It's probably not dangerous, but it certainly isn't going to help "speed demons" and these cheap bought-it-online things sound like a scam.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Guys, I have one of these. I was one of the 1st people to get one, last year. They are illegal here in Cali and it sits in a box somewhere in the garage. It does in fact work. It uses fast strobe technology to change the light from red to green in about 2 seconds. If anybody wants to buy mine off me, they can. I paid $300 for it and wont use it -- not worth it to me. Reasonable trades welcomed :)

-Manny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts