1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
This may not be the case in this guys situation, but here's one way to 'lose interest'......

Wife (opening credit card bill): "You spent THIS on your car! Sell it now or I do a Lorena Bobbitt on you while you are sleeping!"

·
Premium Member
10,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
13,215 Posts
AUSTIN it is very easy to lose interest. I've lost interest 4 different times so far. He might have his eye on a Murc. He might want a Coupe. I mean it could be any number of reasons. I remember in 97' I couldn't take my Viper overheating every day I drove it. Stuck on the side of the road and no Viper tech in town could figure out the problem. I've had friends sell their Viper because they were sick of the color and wanted a different color. Whatever the case may be with this guy. Sounds like he has a hell of a monster. Jason builds beasts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will try to say this kindly, took over 6 months, fell 150hp short of what I wanted, never ever EVER saw a dyno sheet or got an exact number for my MANY-K,,,,,,went to pick car and was not finished, their fault for leaving my 800 mile SRT to THE LAST MINUTE,,,THEY said it would done in a week but instead got a call 5 weeks later said it was done and SO WAS I.....

Gary

X owner of the mentioned car................

BTW, never drove the car after it was finished,,,, SO HOW PISSED WAS I...... :pissed:

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
SRTATTACK said:
I will try to say this kindly, took over 6 months, fell 150hp short of what I wanted, never ever EVER saw a dyno sheet or got an exact number for my MANY-K,,,,,,went to pick car and was not finished, their fault for leaving my 800 mile SRT to THE LAST MINUTE,,,THEY said it would done in a week but instead got a call 5 weeks later said it was done and SO WAS I.....

Gary

X owner of the mentioned car................

BTW, never drove the car after it was finished,,,, SO HOW PISSED WAS I...... :pissed:
Wow, sorry to hear about that. But didn't Dr. Roof say his tt car was built in six weeks??? If you got $120K you didn't lose money ... no?

Gerald

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why not drive it? Didn't want tooooooooo........

Lost money,,,,,yep

BTW, I was a second time customer and was treated the same on the first car,,,also last minute....

Seems like the water in Houston effects some people the same way

·
Premium Member
10,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wannabe Owner said:
Wow that sucks.

By the way for those of us just looking who was the tuner??
The classified link doesnt work anymore.

RSI

·
Registered
11 Posts
It was RSI, I felt like a redheaded stepchild,,,,,,,, Bought a 02 yellow/black,,,

Another thing when I called the wouldn't answer my calls but seconds later using a friends phone they picked up,,,,,HOW MUCH WOULD THAT PISSSSSSSSSSSS YOU OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.......................this is when they told me to call later in the day

Toooo bad eh, I thought they were a class act

there's more

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Sadly SRTAttack this is an all too familiar story in the world of big hitting Viper upgrades - I don't think it is unique to RSI - in fact many can vouch for the fact it is true of all the tuners that get involved in the big dollar upgrades. Some are worse than others for delays, but all have customers whose patience has been tested.

There are many reasons for this - but the most common would have to be businesses get locked into doing the urgent and that leaves cars left to the last minute because there is always something else more pressing.

That was not a defense BTW - just reality.... actually a lack of planning - but tuners are tradespeople not project managers so it's a struggle for them to juggle things right.

I don't mean to offend any tuners but the honest ones will admit this is a real problem - and they are not happy about it either. Customers are promised or given an estimate of a timeline that is simply often not met, sometimes WOEFULLY not met, and there is no genuine excuse that is acceptable unless the customer is happy to just keep waiting until "whenever".

If anyone wants to get upset with me for saying that openly - count to ten and do some basic research.

As tuners are usually flat out doing what they do, the way they do it - waiting for them to change is going to be a long wait - therefore you have to find your own solutuons if timeline is a problem to you....

One solution is to provide a deadline that is agreed on in advance and monitor it along the way and contract a big discount on the price if the deadline passes - that'd send a few nervous giggles across any workshop.... there'd have to be fairness but why not if time is vital and an agreement was made?

Sometimes parts take longer than they should - that should be built into the original timeline. I know being told that a job was delayed due to parts not arriving would reflect on the tuner not the supplier in my eyes as it is a planning issue.

One solution is to use a project manager to ensure your project includes all the specifications it will require, is planned with adequate lead time, is worked on to specification, and completed on time - and where necessary to kick butt. The right person would be well worth the cost if given the authority - and the ultimate effective control is to give them authority to clear when payments can be made - that way the tuner must perform to get their money without you having to worry.

If a project manager could also add value via technical IP to a project as well - how could you lose?

A competent and professional tuner would welcome such a service as it helps them be more efficient and makes everything run more smoothly. If they have a problem with this concept - I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole and you are at their mercy.

Nothing here is aimed at anyone in particular - it is a universal problem all Viper tuners putting out cars with over 800rwhp suffer from. The first thing they can do is be more realistic in their time estimates and estimate on the long side instead of the best case scenario. Best case is achieved usually just for the "pet" projects... and not always even then.

If any tuner thinks I have been unfair - say so, but be prepared for some customer to come forward and post "well actually Mr X - you took way too long on my car".

The bottom line is tuners are usually selected based upon a relationship, referral, reputation, or good marketing. If you build a good relationship with your choice - there's little you can't work out - and if time is important - that has to be clearly in the contract. All tuners want happy customers not upset ones. But sadly - there will be times it doesn't work out - sorry it did not for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You hit the nail on the head TM, I have been racing all my life,,,,Slot, RC, drag boats, off road, go karts, mini sprints, sprints cars and now road racing,,, sent my SRT-4 to John Archer and got it back in 6 weeks done correctly. almost as promised....Vendors held us up....Granted there have been many a night/ all night stabbing in a motor or wantever but made the event,,, but to be told my car would be done at Bowling Green when it was supposed to done WAY earlier,,,,,,,FI beating a dead horse here,,,,,,,, I guess its sad that most of the Viper Nation turners aren't on the ball a little more,,,,,,,,,,,,Seems like only Vipers??? YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

OK, Mr HMS,,,,,,,,,, you have no business posting to this thread,,,,,,,,,here's a LITTLE reminder,,,Misplaced Mikes hood?????????? Didn't Mike back your twin turbo deal???????????? Is Mike's Viper done yet????? Wasn't Mike's Viper to be the second car done???????????????

I will shut the Fock up now............

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.