Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the whole rear differential with the gears , one has the stock gears and the other has 3.55 .we thought of just exchanging the whole rear instead of opening the rear and changing the gears so will the 97 rear fit the 99rt's and will the 99rt's rear fit the 97GTS's ? thanks guys

·
Premium Member
19,142 Posts
I believe they are both super dana 44s. Will bolt in directly. Keep the stocker as a spare. ANybody know for sure when they changed from a "Dana 44" to the "super dana 44"?

·
Landscaping Professional
14,065 Posts
After 1995 model year.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I asked D.Weaver at Maxwell Dodge about this a few months ago, and all genIIs should be interchangeable.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I put a Gen II rear end in my Gen 1 car, and it bolted right in. I understand that the opposite is not true though. Kinda off topic, but related.

·
Registered
161 Posts
XS,
did you bolt in the entire third member and support structure, or just do a pumpkin swap? I believe the third members are fairly swapable with a little modification, but I can't remember which way requires the mod. I don't think the pumpkins will swap.

·
Registered
59 Posts
97 to 99 is no change but

The 97 has a notch in it that the Gen 1 does not have.
the 97 will go in the gen 1 fine, but a gen 1 would need to have metal taken off to go in the 97.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts