Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are all the new cars becoming way faster now.For example,the new evo for next year(in road and track this month).It does 0-60 in about 4.3 seconds.Man thats like having a first gen Viper.It's almost like whats the point in investing 100 thousand in a viper when you can spend a fraction of that on an evo eh,And get the same gut renching performance to 60 mph in a evo,whats up with that.This crap scares me because people like me that can only afford a first gen viper (one day) will get smoked or a good race by a dumb evo etc...So why are they making these normal cars so darn fast.Thats my question.(please enlighten me).

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
Who would buy an Evo, those fuckers are UGLY!! :puke:

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
Who ever said the Evo was a normal car? For what they are they are one of the best cars made. Choosing between that and the WRX basically boils down to the individuals opinion. I see no problem with a car like the WRX or the Evo being as fast as a Viper just as long as the owners do not rice the hell out of their cars.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Let me enlighten you Viper Venom, as I own a Viper GTS and have driven the WRX STI and EVO. Yes, from 0-60 in this 2005 special model EVO, you might be able to do 0-60 in 4.2 with a 6,000 RPM clutch dump. How long the clutch and tranny will last, well that's another story. And yes, that might hang with a Gen I Viper. But, after 60-80, it is bye,bye EVO/STI. The EVO/STI and geared very agressively for 0-80 miles per hour, and can launch well with AWD if revved through the roof. After that, they are not fast cars. When I drove the STI, I was surprised how quick it was to 80 (first 3 gears), but shocked how slow it was after 80. Just look at the MPH these cars produce in the 1/4. That tells the hole story. Not to take anything away from the EVO/STI, they are great performace cars for the money, but not in the same league as a Viper.

Actually, I raced one (modded EVO) the other day with my Viper GTS. From 20 - 80 MPH, I pulled about 5 car lengths, from 80-130, he disappeared like he was standing still. I was over a 1/8 mile ahead and pulling hard.

But for around $28K, they are great values, but look like shit - unless you're 25 or under.

·
Registered
220 Posts
just to be on the safe side i had heffner put in a 650 package /images/graemlins/dude3

not many cars overhere gonna keep up with that

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
AWD boring??? Are you nuts? Oh I get it, you must be of the "if it isn't a viper it's crap club"

AWD is a blast. In a well modified AWD car you can launch on street tires like a viper on slicks! Also if you are making 700-800hp you can STILL drive it in the rain. Ever race in the rain with AWD...it's sssoooo much fun.

As far as WHY...money. They are going to sell well. Also the Evo's 4g63 engine is awesome. How many 2.0 I4's do you know of that'll take 400-450hp on the stock bottom end :) AND make that kind of power with just bolt-ons. yea...that's why.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Tanked said:
AWD boring??? Are you nuts? Oh I get it, you must be of the "if it isn't a viper it's crap club"

AWD is a blast. In a well modified AWD car you can launch on street tires like a viper on slicks! Also if you are making 700-800hp you can STILL drive it in the rain. Ever race in the rain with AWD...it's sssoooo much fun.

As far as WHY...money. They are going to sell well. Also the Evo's 4g63 engine is awesome. How many 2.0 I4's do you know of that'll take 400-450hp on the stock bottom end :) AND make that kind of power with just bolt-ons. yea...that's why.
So what?

AWD is undramatic and has probably half the lifespan of a RWD car. How long is an AWD car gonna last when you just let it rip?

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I loved AWD. In GN vs. Syclone, with similar type mods, the Syclone would launch better than the GN. Better traction, less spin, just hit the gas and you're gone. The AWD car will last just as long as a RWD or a FWD car. It would only be like having an extra trans/diff on a regular car. Better drivability in bad weather conditions, even with higher hp. How long is a RWD or FWD car going to last if you just let it rip? See, it doesn't matter of the make up, but how it's treated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I totally agree with onerareviper,i love vipers,i would just hate to see a dumb evo keep up or a little be hind a viper.I never thought about the long run part,how evos die off.Well thanks for telling me how it is guys.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How do you think us C5 owners feel? These AWD cars are pushing 300hp and launch like a beast. In my neck of the woods most street confrontations occur on traffic controlled roads where you never get to see 3rd gear. If you don't get a good launch those AWD's will eat you (me) up. Their AWD negates my 50hp advantage down low where it counts the most.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts