Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do 427 Cobra\'s sound so much better than Vipers w/Side pipes ??

I was cruising down the PCH today and a beautiful Blue and white 427 Cobra pulled up next to me ..The car was pure music to my ears !!

It sounded AWESOME ! You'd almost think that since the Viper has two more cylinders it would sound even better..But thats not the case.

Does it have something to do with the firing order of a V10 ?

:cheers:

Jeff

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Re: Why do 427 Cobra\'s sound so much better than Vipers w/Side pipes ??

:idea:

just pull 2 plug wires out next time you go cruisin

glad to help! :nod:

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts

Torquemonster said:
:idea:

just pull 2 plug wires out next time you go cruisin

glad to help! :nod:
Exactly. You lose some power, but who cares, you sound awesome!!!

·
Registered
7,269 Posts

Hahaha - Manny's got it!

Actually the V10 can sound really good - but it'll never sound like a V8. If you ever hear a Lambo Gallardo coming at you in full anger - I guarantee the sound will turn your head! :nod: :nod:

A lot of the aftermarket Viper header and exhaust packages sound really good - but to get the real base tones you need thick walled pipes to take out the high pitched resonance and especially big, heavy walled outlets... thin piping like SS normally is will always have more resonance and less guteral tones, but it is lighter.

Sound quality is an area I'd like to play with later on - I think a lot can be done if a few lb extra weight don't matter. Afterall - you'd never notice another 10-20lb, but the sound is what you have to live with every time you drive - so it might as well be a killer deep guteral sound that sounds like nothing else when stepped on! /images/graemlins/smiles

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

vettekiller said:
I believe it is because the vipers fire 2 cylinders at once
What is the advantage of having two cylinders fire at once ?? Do 2 opposing cylinders fire at the same time ? Could DC configured the engine to fire one Cylinder at a time ?

Lambo's are 12 Cylinders..Do they also fire 2 cylinders at a time ?

Thanks !

Jeff

·
Registered
64 Posts

The Gallardo is actually a V10. I am going to test drive one this week /images/graemlins/wink

One of the reasons I still have my Z06 is the sound. Nothing beats the sound of a big V8 with a nasty cam. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Registered
4,317 Posts

NoMercy,

I still have that mpg of SW running your car down the 1/4 mile and you are correct, it sounds awesome!!

·
Registered
64 Posts

Genetic Cesspool said:
NoMercy,

I still have that mpg of SW running your car down the 1/4 mile and you are correct, it sounds awesome!!
Thanks!! I am thinking od selling it to make room for some more crap but every time I fire it up I fall in Love all over again. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

NoMercy said:
The Gallardo is actually a V10. I am going to test drive one this week /images/graemlins/wink
Your right Bill..I forgot about the Murcielago's Little brother /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Registered
7,269 Posts

NoMercy said:

One of the reasons I still have my Z06 is the sound. Nothing beats the sound of a big V8 with a nasty cam. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif
It's true. My wife got to do a couple of demonstration carpark skids in a friends 3000hp Pro Mod the other day - talk about thunder! That PSI blown motor spins from idle to 9000rpm in well under a second - it just barks - where prodding the throttle is like cracking a whip! :bowdown:

Have you heard the new Audi RS6 with a decent exhaust upgrade? Apparently they have an amazing sound. The stock ones are pretty good but too muffled. The new twin turbo Porsche V8 Cayenne is even worse - so quiet you can't hear it.

·
Banned
26,067 Posts

·
Registered
33,838 Posts

NoMercy said:

How can I read anything you write with an avatar like that?!?!?!?!?!?!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.