Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually- I don't have a Viper- I have a 69 Dodge Coronet- and those Viper Calipers are the hot set up now for putting big brakes on our old muscle cars! LOL

So it is non-abs and I need Calipers, no core exchage.

It is funny though- I very much considered a Viper before taking on this project- after all, it will cost me about the same to finish this car, from start to finish, as buying a good condition used Viper! :thumb:

I wanted a car, however, that would take me AND my kids on a power tour type cruise- and I decided to go with the big B-body.

I am trying to science out the brakes right now- and I was directed to this site as being THE Viper site for this kind of information.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you 'splain me the difference? There is alot of discussion on this right now on several mopar boards ( www.moparts.com in particular) on adapting Viper Calipers to the 11.75 or 13 inch rotors on Classic mopars.

You guys mind if I link this thread on that discussion at some point?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks- I just got an e-mail from archer racing- is this the same archer group? I know there is more than one archer brother or something!

Really, one of the viper parts guys could really make some dough if they were to contact ARE engineering and get a bulk buy for a kit going. Mopar guys are eating this stuff up! You know- build a better mouse trap, capitalism and all that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
They are brothers. Bobby is in Fort Worth, Texas and his brother, John (aka Archer Racing) is in Duluth, Minnesota. From what Bobby tells me, there are actually five brothers and two sisters, all of whom have raced at some point in time.

Bobby and the ViperSpeed Team have developed the ViperSpeed line of Viper Performance products. There are approximately 50 products designed and produced specifically for Viper racing. If you (or anyone else out there) wishes a Performance Racing Catalog, please email me ([email protected]) for a copy. OR you could go to the website and sign up for the new Winner's Circle and have access to other specials, too.

Back to the calipers and the ARE engineering - please tell me more about this. You may also contact me at 817-877-1772 about the calipers - or better yet, talk to Bobby about what you are doing - I'm sure he'd love to talk to you.

Good luck,
Patricia

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are a couple threads that would make it easier than calling you and trying to explain to you what is going on- in fact, the guy, FEETS- has had his car featured in Mopar Action and seems to be a fabricator extrodenaire- check out these threads, sign up and post would be a great way to possibly find a new way to make a buck in the future! LOL

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

You will see links by andyF of pics of his "big brake" system- with the viper calipers.

here is ARE's site:

http://www.arengineering.com/

Viper motors, suspension and drivetrains, not just for Vipers anymore! LOL

I will be willing to bet in the future that some of the best "real world" hot rod parts for Vipers come out of guys trying to adapt Viper parts to old muscle cars.

Has always been the case for aftermarket- especially since there is so much more volume potential there!

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
They are just brembo calipers. You can probably find the generic versions cheaper than anything with the Viper logo on it. I'm also amazed. Viper brakes aren't even great on a Viper, let alone a classic muscle car with a lot more detroit steel in it. There's gotta be a better setup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, there is alot of talk on one of those threads using the AMG high buck set up- you must remember what a monster upgrade using the Viper Calipers and the 11.75 rotors are on these muscle cars- many of which, the best you could get for a very long time was 10 inch rotors with old 2 piston calipers!

The Mercedes set up is now also being explored, but it is very high dollar for these cars. But they do stop 4300 lb Mercedes travelling in excess of 160 on the autobahn from what I have heard and read from Mercedes LOL

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
CruisingRam said:
Well, there is alot of talk on one of those threads using the AMG high buck set up- you must remember what a monster upgrade using the Viper Calipers and the 11.75 rotors are on these muscle cars- many of which, the best you could get for a very long time was 10 inch rotors with old 2 piston calipers!

The Mercedes set up is now also being explored, but it is very high dollar for these cars. But they do stop 4300 lb Mercedes travelling in excess of 160 on the autobahn from what I have heard and read from Mercedes LOL
My only point was that there's nothing magic about a brake system, especially putting one on an old car. You just want a balanced setup, with a new master cyllinder, calipers, rotors, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yes, this old Coronet is getting the works, believe me LOL, I am doing my best to make it handle like one of your Vipers, to the point of trying to get the same rubber under it LOL-Hey, it is good to have goals LOL

I have a the new aluminum master cylinder on it- and now am trying to science out the rear brakes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.