Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get those things painted? Does it hurt longevity of system? Want to paint mine when I get it. Just to be different.

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
KingViper said:
How do you get those things painted? Does it hurt longevity of system? Want to paint mine when I get it. Just to be different.
Probably just high-temp paint and a glaze - David Weaver should be able to point you in the right direction. Shouldn't hurt longevity in the least.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Sean advised me not to powder coat because of the high temperatures associated with the powder coat process (for supercharger only). He said use a standard automotive, hi quality exterior paint. That is what we did.

DW

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would painting it effect the durability of the S/C? So does that mean I should just get the black one instead of the polished one?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,237 Posts
David Weaver said:
Sean advised me not to powder coat because of the high temperatures associated with the powder coat process (for supercharger only). He said use a standard automotive, hi quality exterior paint. That is what we did.

DW
Now, he was talking about the actual compressor itself, right? I had the tubes powdercoated red(by Sean's shop). I assume it's because of the heat developed by the compressor.

·
Registered
318 Posts
KingViper,
Call Joe Donavon at King Dodge in St. Louis 314.832.7200. He has painted
many Roe S/C's. He did the red one with the "supercharged" script on the
tube.

DN

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey,
I do mine with a sealer primer and then use a base coat clear coat process. The temperature is no higher on the blower than the valve covers ... I have been painting valve covers, intakes, and blower related parts for quite a while now and have never had a problem ... knock on wood. Just make sure you prep it right and bake it afterwards and you should be good to go. If you are going to paint, I would buy the black kit and customize it yourself and save a few bucks on the polished unit. Hope that helps.
Later,
Joe @ King Dodge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.