Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before I take my car anywhere I wanted to run this by some knowledgeable viper dudes! So my car sits quite a bit especially over winter and we haven’t driven it since about November. We pulled out of the driveway this morning and for about 6 miles smelled like a faint smell of oil. My wife said she smelled it before we pulled out of the driveway but I pulled into a gas station about 7 miles later and when I came to a stop thick white smoke out of both sides exhaust engulfed us! I’m having it taken back home until I figure out a little bit more of what might be going on. I know both sides of the exhaust are not connected and it’s smoking out of both sides so I’m thinking I can rule out bad cylinder?? I have aem engine management and a built motor So one of my thoughts it was aem electronics or maybe feel injection control? Oil pressure and engine temp was spot on as I watch my gauges constantly and my engines never been overheated.Just looking for suggestions on where to start looking for the culprit? Will a stuck valve or bad ring cause it to smoke out of both sides of the exhaust? Thanks much guys and highly appreciated!

·
Registered
130 Posts
It looks like from your photo that your car is twin turbo? If so, it probably your oil seals in your turbos. That was the main reason I took my car apart, because it was doing the exact same thing. Your intake pipes are going to be coated in oil also, depending on how bad and how long your turbo seals have been leaking. You'll have to get the turbos removed from the car and get them rebuilt. It's not an overly complicated process to remove the turbos, just time consuming because everything is tight and hard to get to.

On another note, are you able to share your AEM tune file with me? I've been struggling with my AEM and need a tune file from a running car to troubleshoot it

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like from your photo that your car is twin turbo? If so, it probably your oil seals in your turbos. That was the main reason I took my car apart, because it was doing the exact same thing. Your intake pipes are going to be coated in oil also, depending on how bad and how long your turbo seals have been leaking. You'll have to get the turbos removed from the car and get them rebuilt. It's not an overly complicated process to remove the turbos, just time consuming because everything is tight and hard to get to.

On another note, are you able to share your AEM tune file with me? I've been struggling with my AEM and need a tune file from a running car to troubleshoot it
Thank you so much and that actually makes total sense. I totally forgot about the turbo seals. My car has been sitting for about five or six months and I didn’t smell it when it was idling in my driveway because the exhaust pipes weren’t warmed up yet. And I will reach out and see if the company who did my build can send me the tune. I don’t think I really ever got that file sent to me but I will see if I can get it. I will reach back out to you either way. Thanks again

·
Landscaping Professional
14,401 Posts
Your intercooler is likely coated with oil as well. This will continue to push through the intake and contribute to knock. Check your pressure tubes from the turbos to see if it's one or both that need seals.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you so much and that actually makes total sense. I totally forgot about the turbo seals. My car has been sitting for about five or six months and I didn’t smell it when it was idling in my driveway because the exhaust pipes weren’t warmed up yet. And I will reach out and see if the company who did my build can send me the tune. I don’t think I really ever got that file sent to me but I will see if I can get it. I will reach back out to you either way. Thanks again
Yeah that's the trouble with cars that sit a lot. Seals dry up and start leaking. My car was the same story when I bought it. The guy I got it from had it sitting in a barn for about 5 years and maybe put 2,500 miles on it in those 5 years. I drove the car for a while, hoping the seals would expand again and seal back up, but no such luck. Now I haven't been able to run the car since rebuilding the turbos, as I'm struggling with the AEM, but I'm hoping that my rebuild will hold up and it won't smoke anymore. I did spend considerable time cleaning oil out of all the intake tubing, throttle body, intake manifold and the intercooler. Brake clean seems to work well for getting all that oil out.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
If you have an oil scavenge system for the turbos, is it functioning or blocked?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your intercooler is likely coated with oil as well. This will continue to push through the intake and contribute to knock. Check your pressure tubes from the turbos to see if it's one or both that need seals.
Thank you much. I will be contacting precision on turbo rebuild and line out my shop to get it done.
If you have an oil scavenge system for the turbos, is it functioning or blocked?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha Funny you ask. So I had my car brought back home and when I went to pull in the garage and tured the key on I normally would hear the scavenge pump running. You can’t miss it. I do not hear the scavenge pump running anymore but I know it was running before I took the car out this morning. So I’m assuming it starved the turbos of oil.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hold on:
Black smoke is fuel
Blue smoke is oil
White smoke is coolant.....right?

·
Landscaping Professional
14,401 Posts
I think when a hot catalytic convertor is in the mix, you may not get as much blue smoke.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
A faulty oil scavenge pump would cause oil to pile up in the turbo supply lines, leaking past turbo seals and entering the turbine housings causing a spectacular smoke show... Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It was definately a spectacular smoke show! Youd think I dropped all 10 cylinders all at once, lol. So I specifically remember when I turned my key on before we left I always hear the scavenge pump but when I got the car back home i started it to pull it in the garage and there was no scavenge pump running. Cant miss it, pretty obnoxious sounding and it did have puddles of brand new oil at the ends of the exhaust pipes where it exits. I also have no cats, only straight stainless pipes. And definately oil smell!

·
Registered
9 Posts

Do you still need a working AEM Tune? I also have a TT Viper with an Infinity. It’s a Gen 2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts