Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
10,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 150 shot nx system, smooth tube, sb filters, borla cat back, no cats, on a 97 gts. the car pulls 442rwhp 488 torque off the gas. on the juice its 600rwhp. I plan on going with the roe blower over the winter and keep a modest shot of the nos so which header is the best for me, what is the cost, how is the fitment, and what install time could i expect with out a lift. doing it myself! thanks in advance. :bowdown:

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
From what I've read on the net (take it for what it's worth.) These is what I would buy.

Belanger super-tuned long tube, Tri-Y headers. Mandrel bent 1 3/4 inch primary tubes, 3 inch collectors. High temp ceramic metallic coating, nickel chrome finish. OBD2 Compliant (no check-engine light).
Headers include all mounting hardware, gaskets, and headers. Belanger advertises a 50 HP gain with these headers.

I highly recommend getting them coated(these come that way but...) if you choose something else. There are so many benefits to it.

1.) Heat reduction. Well the heat is kept where it should...in the header.

2.) Last longer. Again it is a protective coating

3.) Better flowing. Small imperfections are "smoothed out"

4.) They look pretty. We all know pretty is faster. /images/graemlins/wink

Be careful about mixing power adders. I blew a 4g63 once while mixing boost and NOS. It cost me 5k to rebuild that motor to take the beating that fallowed. But a viper engine your looking at 20k..or more if you crack the block like I did.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
v10kingsnake said:
i have 150 shot nx system, smooth tube, sb filters, borla cat back, no cats, on a 97 gts. the car pulls 442rwhp 488 torque off the gas. on the juice its 600rwhp. I plan on going with the roe blower over the winter and keep a modest shot of the nos so which header is the best for me, what is the cost, how is the fitment, and what install time could i expect with out a lift. doing it myself! thanks in advance. :bowdown:

My 2 cents is: DON'T go with Belanger if you plan on doing a Roe blower. I had 2 engines built for two different customer(both builds done by very reputable Viper community people), completely identical. The only exception was one had TNT headers, the other Balenger. Same cam, same compression, same blower, same pulley, yadda yadda.....The Balenger equipped car made 15 more torque, but 40 less power than the TNT car. UtahViper looked at this with me as well as Macedo and we all scratched our heads. The owner is bringing a set of B&B's to put on it. If the power does goes up like the other car, I guess it proves it. I just received another car that the customer has asked me to tune the VEC2, he says it is low on power with an 8lb pulley. I looked over the car real quick late Friday, it has Balengers! My current opinion is: Balenger headers don't go well with a Roe blower. Maybe that yellow RT will prove me wrong when we put the B&B's on it.......

DW

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
David Weaver said:
v10kingsnake said:
real interesting on the reply david, maybe this is why roe only sells the bellangers and the borla on his site and not BB? just my .02. any one else?
Look again, Roe does sell the B&B's. I don't see Balenger's on his site.

DW
And I think Roe recomends B&B as well.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
That's very interesting david. I REALLY want to see the results.

Stupid Q's time: Are you sure the "tune" was identical? Was the rest of the exhust system the same? What about the intake? That's a huge power differance between the two with only headers not being the same. That is very interesting.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Tanked said:
That's very interesting david. I REALLY want to see the results.

Stupid Q's time: Are you sure the "tune" was identical? Was the rest of the exhust system the same? What about the intake? That's a huge power differance between the two with only headers not being the same. That is very interesting.
When I said identical, I meant identical....This is both cars with the same VEC card/program in each car. The one that drops off after 4000 is the one with Balengers. I tried everything on this car, advanced the timing, retarded the timing, and so on, nothing would change the power curve of this car. I faxed these graphs to a lot of people and not one person could come up with a conclusive answer other than air flow. The heads on the low power car actually out flow the others by a small amount.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,177 Posts
I bet its the little "bullet" in the Balengers' collector that causes the power loss. With N/A car, probably has no effect other than boost TRQ, but with the Roe and the amount of air that is being flowed, becomes a bottle neck.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Interesting. I bet dealing with that has been /images/graemlins/mad /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/furious2 /images/graemlins/up2 /images/graemlins/upyours :argue:

Do the B&B's come coated, I've never even heard of B&B but...that's what happens when you don't know shit about vipers. Got a website.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
ive always heard B&B were better for performance. belangers are allegedly better in quality and sound. all opinion, IMO

·
Premium Member
20,177 Posts
Yup, B&B's are the best, and I have a set in the classiieds for SALE!!!! /images/graemlins/bigsmile /images/graemlins/bigsmile

·
Registered
97 Posts
The 1.75" Belanger primaries are only good to so much horspower.. It wouldn't be a surprise that a supercharged car would respond favorably with headers having larger primary tubes.

Yes, a V10's like a 390V8 with a couple extra cylinders, but as the HP levels go up it's probably time for larger primaries. At least for drag racing where you're over 4000rpm after each gear change.

The smallish primaries could also contribute to detonation by impeding the flow of exhaust gases pushing heat up into the fresh intake charge. (Which is why nobody headerwraps their primaries anymore)

·
Registered
17,041 Posts
David Weaver said:
v10kingsnake said:

My 2 cents is: DON'T go with Belanger if you plan on doing a Roe blower. I had 2 engines built for two different customer(both builds done by very reputable Viper community people), completely identical. The only exception was one had TNT headers, the other Balenger. Same cam, same compression, same blower, same pulley, yadda yadda.....The Balenger equipped car made 15 more torque, but 40 less power than the TNT car. UtahViper looked at this with me as well as Macedo and we all scratched our heads. The owner is bringing a set of B&B's to put on it. If the power does goes up like the other car, I guess it proves it. I just received another car that the customer has asked me to tune the VEC2, he says it is low on power with an 8lb pulley. I looked over the car real quick late Friday, it has Balengers! My current opinion is: Balenger headers don't go well with a Roe blower. Maybe that yellow RT will prove me wrong when we put the B&B's on it.......

DW
Some of Macedo's highest HP Roe blower cars run Belanger headers. He so states in a thread on the VCA site. :nod:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.