Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which halfshafts for stock \'97?

Car is totally stock and I don't plan on any other mods besides gears. So far, I've broken a U-joint 3 times and have heard about stock Vipers twisting halfshafts with Pilot Sports. I'd expect that any manufacturer's halfshafts\U-joints would be plenty strong enough for me, RIGHT???????? If so, where can I get some stronger halfshafts\U-joints for the least money? How about some site links? Thanks! /images/graemlins/smiles

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
Re: Which halfshafts for stock \'97?

i would do the HDs from unitrax. they are 800ish for the pair, and i havent heard of any problems with them. they are good up to 800 rwhp from what i understand, and are backed by a lifetime warranty! you cant beat their prompt service, as i have had to send 2 sets up the titanium back to them (b/c of improper welds, i broke a few pair.) they replaced them very quickly w/o question. UNITRAX HD!!!

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts

Unitrax I think is the common replacement. They have 3 versions now I think though - depending on your budget.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

So who sells the Unitrax's cheapest? Any links? /images/graemlins/confused

·
Registered
12,999 Posts

im sure anybody can get you unitrax shafts for about the same price. i know Heffner, DLM, partsrack, etc. all use them....

·
Registered
384 Posts

Are the HDs the most expensive???

·
Registered
863 Posts

You may want to do some comparison shopping at BTR. Tom's car has close to 1000 rwtorque and I don't believe he or Lee Saunders (same torque) have broken a shaft yet. I'm close to 800 ft-lb and they are holding.

·
Registered
12,999 Posts

Jack B said:
You may want to do some comparison shopping at BTR. Tom's car has close to 1000 rwtorque and I don't believe he or Lee Saunders (same torque) have broken a shaft yet. I'm close to 800 ft-lb and they are holding.
arent they the same price as the unitrax HDs? i know that Tom's only have a 2 replacement warranty. unitrax offers lifetime....

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts

I'd also prefer a halfshaft to go before something else. :twocents:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

I cannot believe you are tweaking halfshafts with only gears and Pilots. Unless you are bathing in VHT before leaving the garage, I just can't see that happening. I had the Unitrax guys themselves change my gearset, but I've kept the stock halfshafts with 455 rwhp.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

WOT 1st to 2nd upshift = busted driver's side halfshaft. :nod: Took about a thousand tries, but it happened. /images/graemlins/thumbs2

·
Registered
59 Posts

The weakest link breaks. Bang gears a lot at wot on the 1-2 with upgraded half shafts an diff is at risk. Be sure the recall 999 got done to prevent the diff from breaking away from the car.

LameGTS said:
WOT 1st to 2nd upshift = busted driver's side halfshaft. :nod: Took about a thousand tries, but it happened. /images/graemlins/thumbs2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts