Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of clutch are you high hp guys having good luck with????????????????????

Last time I ran Nitrous at the track I fried a new clutch on the first pass launching at 4800rpms with the middle jets in, about 750rwtq.

I don't want to put another LUK one in if its not going to last. Id like to get more than 1/2 a pass in next time.

Thanks,
Jason

· Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Something dawned on me the other day and I wanted to ask...

Does flywheel mass affect clutch longevity? With a lighter flywheel, you definitely need more revs to match the takeoff of a heavier clutch. I was wandering if using a lightened flywheel would be less shock to the driveline in any way shape or form.

Anybody have any opinions? I'm just curious. With the super-high hp cars now it may not make much difference.

/images/graemlins/headscratch

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[color:"red"] HOW ABOUT SOME RESPONSE!!!!!! [/color]

You guys are not ALL running automatics are ya /images/graemlins/smiles

Damn....

Does my post have to have some titties in it to get somewhere around here.

Jason

· Premium Member
20,180 Posts

· Registered
720 Posts
well..i like the centerforce setups myself....sean roe carrys them too...remove half the weights off it and it shifts fine..if you leave all the weights on it's hard to shift in the upper RPM's...Len

· Registered
2,360 Posts
I know these have been a little controversial, but I am currently running an RPS clutch (the new one, not the old carbon/carbon) and it is holding up extremely well on my 850hp/850tq car. It is great on the street and at the same time I can launch at 4k on drag radials and it hooks hard!

I've run 4 "events" and numerous test and tune nights with that clutch so far... it has about 700 miles on it, and most are HARD miles.

Oh yeah... it had an aluminum flywheel with it too.

JD

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any other input on the Horsepowerfreaks clutch???

Thanks,
Jason

What are the Nitrous Guys running? BTR, etc...

· Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I have one from HorsePower Freaks in my DLM car and have only taken it to the track once. So far, so good. The clutch performed great, but I only got to put 3 runs on it since the day was so crouded. There is a Viper drag event on September 17th at California Speedway that is nearly sold out that I am going to, so I plan on putting 10+ runs on the car that day and will report how the clutch holds up after that with Drag Radials. Driving it on the street seems to be fine so far.

Hard to beat the price on a high HP clutch like this one (Feramic material.()

-Manny

· Premium Member
20,180 Posts
jason427 said:
What kind of clutch are you high hp guys having good luck with????????????????????

Last time I ran Nitrous at the track I fried a new clutch on the first pass launching at 4800rpms with the middle jets in, about 750rwtq.

I don't want to put another LUK one in if its not going to last. Id like to get more than 1/2 a pass in next time.

Thanks,
Jason
Did you break inthe clutch before you start to go to town on it? Larry Macedo was very insistant to break it in for 500 miles before getting on it. Otherwise it may not last.

· Registered
259 Posts
I don't have your HP as I'm NA. When the stock clutches lost their OE quality I tried a Centerforce. Couldn't shift it at High RPM. However; I installed as it was delivered, didn't take the weights off as recommended above. I now have a SPEC Stage 3 clutch. They take a little break-in to get rid of the chatter but they are strong and tuff. Feels just like the stock clutch. No more clutch smoke from under the car on a hard launch. You can get it hot and it recovers. Bonus it weights half of what a Centerforce does. They offer a lightening option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.