Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Near stock 95. I never get wheel hop on the street shifting into 2nd gear driving hard. When I raced at Milan a few weeks ago, I got a shutter of wheel hop hitting 2nd gear. Only second gear. Why?

·
Landscaping Professional
14,341 Posts
Track prep issues, most likely answer. Try more rear toe-in.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was about 65 degrees...I only had two runs and both were in the same lane. I'll learn much more the next time I go but I am herre in Michigan and it's getting colder every day.

V10 Mojo, What variables in driving style could cause this?

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
I get wheel hop in my viper when it's cold out. Try letting a little air out of the tire. Granted mine happened on the street. I know your at the track so try 40psi. After I switched to 35 rear the issue went away. Also, I noticed went it's a cold morning the tires tend to break loose much easier. I think it's a combo of the car making slightly more power and the tires are not warmed up yet. A good burnout seems to make the stick better. /images/graemlins/wink

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
high rpm with shift. "dumpping" clutch; heavy acceleration. ive had wheel hop with first into second trying to balls out get going, like on dragstrip. ive had it on roadcourse under similar shifting pattern(s) like above. also, surface and tire pressure are factors as well as temp. ive never had it since i started fetehring clutch adn eating it up more so to speak but i have gone thru two clutches in a year /images/graemlins/toothy during last years race season between drag and roadcoursing all damn year. this year ive not KNOCK ON WOOD had any issues. ive got one race left (Bradenton V10 Nats) and im done. so hopefully all is and will remain well.

BTW how was milan?? i was oign to go there for a NASA even early summer. heard it was a great course. im looking forward to it next season. next year im doing mainly roadcourse and letting off the dragracing a bit.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Tanked said:
I get wheel hop in my viper when it's cold out. Try letting a little air out of the tire. Granted mine happened on the street. I know your at the track so try 40psi. After I switched to 35 rear the issue went away. Also, I noticed went it's a cold morning the tires tend to break loose much easier. I think it's a combo of the car making slightly more power and the tires are not warmed up yet. A good burnout seems to make the stick better. /images/graemlins/wink
Are you whacky pitacky? 40 psi? Two weeks ago my dealership did a driving day at Blackhawk and we took an srt-10, our GM drives an a-sedan in scca and knows how to wring it out. started at 40psi with me in the car and had a hard time keeping the car straight coming out of turns, 35psi worked out to be the best on street tires. I pit crew for a fellow Viper owner that also races gt2 in scca in a Porsche 911 gt3 cup car and on race tires, they dont get much above 28 psi after a race if at all. More pressure is not better, as the tires get hotter the pressure gets higher, 40 psi with air not nitrogen would wind up being like 46psi when hot!!!! Usually track prep and suspension concerns will cause wheel hop, but shifting too hard or at the wrong time can cause it too.

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
I ALWAYS take on ramps as fast as I can. I normaly let the tail hang out just a tad. On the street I can run that tire pressure. But on track days I drop it to 30-35psi to allow the air in the tires to exspand due to heat. I haven't ever had a blow out...and knock on wood I don't.

On the tire it says it'll take 44 or was it 45. I'll have to double check that.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
V10Mojo, I don't know who told you Milan was a great course, everyone says it stinks and is slow as a dog. The facilities are fine but nothing to write home about. Track is slow. I hear the nice one near us is Mid Michigan Motorplex.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
just what i hear thru the grapevine my brotha. just what i hear.

anyway, i will plan on finding out myself this next season as i will be doing PRIMARIY roadcoursing for 2005. i spent 2004 dragracing and now im ready to go the other way for a season (of course i will still hit each and every V10 nats; provided they still exist)

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Tanked said:
checked the tire it's rated for 51psi. So...40psi...it can handle that.
That is max inflation allowable at max load, car fully loaded with its max capacity and full tank of gas, and two riders. Truck tires run as much as 60psi, but unless you fully load the truck, it is like riding on basketballs and the tread wears more quickly because the center section, or contact patch gets raised and does not make proper contact with the road surface, thusly losing handling capabilities and making the truck, or car in this case, less stable and safe.

Check your friggin drivers door for the tire placard that should state cold inflation pressure.....29psi!!!!!!!!!!! I just looked at one of my customers doors and there it was 29psi!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Tanked said:
I'll check, let ya know when I get back in state.
As Judge Smails said, "well, I'm waiting"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.