Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Heffners superchargers the only ones that you are going to hear the whinny sound out of the supercharger? If not, who else makes a supercharger that you can hear or is there a way that you can modify another supercharger with a ribbed belt and pulley to make that sound because if I am going to spend the money on a supercharger, I want to hear IT!!

·
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten
15,286 Posts
What you hear is mostly the cogged belt. It is the air getting trapped between the belt teeth and the mating grooves on the cogs (which most people call pulleys).

Put a cogged drive belt system on a Roe S/C and it will whine like a bitch too.
Not saying that it can or can not be done, just giving you an example.

A ribbed serpintine belt will also whine, just not nearly as much as a cogged belt will.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
While Jerome is correct on the air getting trapped in the belt...there is quite a bit of noise from the head units themselves. What you here there is the gear noise inside the actual supercharger.

If you order just the head unit from a supercharger company, (I.E. ProCharger, Paxton, Vortech, etc.) you can specify whether you want one on the quieter end of the spectrum, or the louder end. They test them when they are built. A lot of f-body and mustang guys do this for different purposes. Quieter for a sleeper approach, louder for the "I am Lion, here me roar!" approach.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.