Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
set up concerning a short throw shifter...my goal. to not be a complete drag strip monkey, but shorten the throw a bit and get rid of the ski pole sticking out of the console and to have something that is somewhat stylish (poser, yes I know). Is there a need to change the shaft or can you get a good feeling of shorter throws with a simple knob change?

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Nut Snatcher...You're killing me! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Get an MGW knob first...see how you like it with the stock shifter...then if you still feel change is needed, go from there...

And get all of the other cool MGW gear as well...

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bitten, I live to be guided by you...LOL. /images/graemlins/yes I love others' opinions..I'm a lost soul. I just like to hear a lot of reviews, etc. before I do anything...ordering the knob now...thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't think the MGW would change your leverage vs a 2001 shifter. You can buy a "bolt" for $35 on ebay. I know a serious road racer that has this mod. Earlier cars benefit more from the MGW trick.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
I think I posted this up before...shorty knob...stock shifter...in my 2000 RT

[image]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/215043/WHKRR-DSC00284.JPG[/image]

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there's the first strike knob and the gripper shifter? WTF is the real difference...you have the snake gripper in that pic...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The MGW Shifter know will reduce your throws simply because it is shorter and has less distance to travel than the stock slot machine handle shifter that comes with it.

I did the mod and like the way it looks (yellow outline sneaky pete) and it does shorten the throws.

I guess you decided against getting a 99?

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
viperjohn,

I run ideas by others because I make stupid decisions...the alley didn't allow me to make a stupid decision. I get "shopping" in my eyes and I'm blessed with have the means to do things like that, BUT that's no excuse to make dumb decisions and i was trying not to do so. I'm also paranoid about mileage on a car. why? hell, I don't know.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so the first strike? or the gripper shifter?

·
Banned Since 2003
17,762 Posts
I have had both and I like the first strike much better. I like the way it feels and gives me a much more positive shift.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I went with the gripper, much easier to install. If you want I can send you a picture of what the yellow looks like installed.

Super Squirrel, I am glad to see you getting the most out of this site. That is the reason its here.

Just don't ask any questions about which exhaust sounds the best! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
SoCal Rebell said:
Gerald what are the 3 buttons where the ashtray should be?

Tito called it...They're fun buttons...First one arms the N20/Fuel Solenoinds, or the bottle heaters, depending on which way you throw the switch...Second is the purge...Third is the remote bottle openers...

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
Here were my fun buttons:

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/26DSC00115.JPG[/image]

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/26DSC00114.JPG[/image]

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
SS:
I tried to have both and other shift knobs and I finally decided on the first strike. I chose the 1st strike because it hase it indent so you can grab onto when shifting. For me personally, I like the length with just the knob once you remove the washer on the bottom of the stock shifter. I was going to put the B&M shift kit in there but should you reduce it too low it might be difficult to shift. But I am not the best driver by any means.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
King it all helps......that seems to be the consensus...

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I've had the first strike and the gripper. I think I like the first strike a little better, just because of the indentation on the front of it. I have no clue what ViperJohn is talking about though, it's no harder to install than the gripper. Either one takes about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
BigCarrot said:
I've had the first strike and the gripper. I think I like the first strike a little better, just because of the indentation on the front of it. I have no clue what ViperJohn is talking about though, it's no harder to install than the gripper. Either one takes about 5 minutes.
Viperjohn apparently didn't know what the fuck he was talking about. For some reason I thought Super Squirrel was asking between the MGW Shifter know and a shifter kit.

I retract my original statement. Pick whichever one floats your boat. Buy one of each and send me the one you don't like. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Viperjohn, sorry if I wasn't clear..fact is I may not have been b/c I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about..that's why I'm asking you fellas...so since none of us know what the fuck each other is talking about, I guess I'll just pick one...LOL.

Seriously, thanks. You all have a good sense of humor about it. Big Carrot, LOL.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts