Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard will it be to hit 190 and 200mph in my viper? What kind of mods will I need? I assume I'll need a front air splitter and a power adder for sure. How much do the wings help up top? I have never had the car feel like its going to take off yet?

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Big balls. And the wing will probably only make it more difficult to hit your desired top speed, although if done correctly it will add stability when used as part of an aero pkg.

Chad

·
Hooray for me, & fuck you
7,863 Posts
BAD VPR said:
Big balls.
exactly.. if you define 'big balls' as 'not caring if you die when a tire blows or 100 other possible things happen.'

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Going 200 MPH for me isn't a big deal -- I haven't done it, but I know my car can easily do it, so what is the point? There are too many things that can go wrong. For me, I was mostly concerned about two things: one, one of the four tires blowing out, causing a potentially fatal crash. two, having my aero kit break due to not being rated at 200+ MPH. The autoform wing my on RT/10 I believe is rated to 165MPH, and I have taken that car to 175 with no problems. But The faster you get, the more stress you put on parts. The last thing I need is for my big rear wing on the GTS to rip off at 200 MPH and unstabalize the car.

Speaking of which, I ran the Suzuki Hayabusas to 180+ MPH in 7 back to back races with no problems. The next week I had my car in for service, and during some shop driving of the car, the wing plane (center part) fell off the car on one side due to some bolt failures. Who knows what would have happened had it done that while I was going 180 MPH. Maybe nothing -- maybe worse.

At least at road courses and drag strip events, you have an ambulance and a ton of fellow racers there to help you out if something happens.

However, playing Devils advocate, it IS a nice thing to have done something nobody else has... and few people are in the 200 MPH club. Kind of like the thrill of joining the 1 mile high club -- otherwise you might nor ordinarily bang somebody in a nasty airplane bathroom barely big enough for one person.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
BAD VPR said:
Big balls.
Not necessarily, come down to Lubbock in mid August and you can do it on my dyno. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif /images/graemlins/smiles Perfectly safe top speed testing all the way to 200MPH.

·
Registered
23,319 Posts
I just need a longer highway I trust....been up to 180 and next time if the timing,road is safe and nobody around im gonna try for faster..the car can do it though.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,047 Posts
Term - any 97 GTS should be able to exceed 190 mph with just the basic bolt ons: headers, exhaust, air induction, etc. For a GTS to hit 200 mph it takes about 550 rw hp. All speeds are attained in 5th gear with the stock 3.07 rearend. Lowering the car will help slighly. Adding wings and body kits will slow the car down a little to a lot depending on how big of an air brake you add to your car.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
One simple answer. Balls. Your stock GTS should hit it. An RT won't (too much drag). That's why RT's are slow, especially the yellow ones. As last I heard, a wing will slow you down.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Manny_C said:
Going 200 MPH for me isn't a big deal -- I haven't done it, but I know my car can easily do it, so what is the point? There are too many things that can go wrong. For me, I was mostly concerned about two things: one, one of the four tires blowing out, causing a potentially fatal crash. two, having my aero kit break due to not being rated at 200+ MPH. The autoform wing my on RT/10 I believe is rated to 165MPH, and I have taken that car to 175 with no problems. But The faster you get, the more stress you put on parts. The last thing I need is for my big rear wing on the GTS to rip off at 200 MPH and unstabalize the car.

Speaking of which, I ran the Suzuki Hayabusas to 180+ MPH in 7 back to back races with no problems. The next week I had my car in for service, and during some shop driving of the car, the wing plane (center part) fell off the car on one side due to some bolt failures. Who knows what would have happened had it done that while I was going 180 MPH. Maybe nothing -- maybe worse.

At least at road courses and drag strip events, you have an ambulance and a ton of fellow racers there to help you out if something happens.

However, playing Devils advocate, it IS a nice thing to have done something nobody else has... and few people are in the 200 MPH club. Kind of like the thrill of joining the 1 mile high club -- otherwise you might nor ordinarily bang somebody in a nasty airplane bathroom barely big enough for one person.

Manny, the thrill of possibly getting caught doing both 200 MPH and the mile high club thing is why I am a member of both aside from the obvious sheer thrill of doing such things!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
One more sidenote, if you can find a good mile long hill of proper road surface, you can easily hit 200+ no matter how weak one's GTS might happen to be.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Does anyone know what it would take to get a gen2 RT/10 to 200mph? What tire pressure is recommended to make such a run? Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts