Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching but posts are old. Recent one was from 2017 which mentioned to use Mopar 68163848AB. Did it get replaced by something else?

My 2001 still has the old green stuff and the front coolant tank was almost completely empty. I have the front fascia is off the tank needs to be rinsed out. It's pretty dirty. Ill get a bunch of distilled water and start flushing it out.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
There is always debate about any fluids.
Just don't mix types that are not compatible or you will end up with a gel. If you want to change to a different type you need to flush out all the old stuff.

Even though I flushed all old stuff with water, I'm going to just use the peak brand all type coolant. It was on sale plus a rebate. So what that the warranty is only 50k miles or 2 years instead of 2 billion miles or 10 million years. It is the additives (anti corrosion, etc) that degrade.

Do different types had different thermal properties? Sure but they are negotiable in determining the efficiency of the coolant system. The important part is that they are compatible with the metals and composite parts in the engine.
Changing coolant

and far as i can see, 68163848AB is not the correct number to use as mopar parts site list another number. But then again i didn't do an indepth search.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,100 Posts
There are square plugs below the cylinder jackets just behind the motor mounts on both sides. Draining those areas after the radiator is empty helps ensure a complete flush with low residual contamination. The only thing you can't drain is the heater core. As with all plugs, you should slightly tighten them before unscrewing. It helps prevent stripped and galled plugs. Use a Chrysler recommended red coolant to replace green.

Reactions: RobV and Monopoly

·
Sexist
45,211 Posts
I flushed the green and upgraded to orange (or red?). By "flushed" I mean I ran gallons and gallons of distilled water through it over the span of a couple weeks until it came out looking good enough to drink.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I flushed the green and upgraded to orange (or red?). By "flushed" I mean I ran gallons and gallons of distilled water through it over the span of a couple weeks until it came out looking good enough to drink.
Yes this. I did the same for an 00' s2000 last year that had never been changed before.

There was a lot of crud caked onto the old fascia resovior tank so that hole must of been there a while so it's been driving around a few years with an ampty tank. Luckily the prev owner was a senior scared to push the car over 4000rpms.

Changed engine oil while I wait for new tank. It's clean after a few thousand miles which was last done in spring.

I'm going to flush like you did with new tank in and store it.
Gas Art Glass Natural material Wood

1 - 19 of 19 Posts