Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i got off work early today and decided to head down to the SCCA races. I have never done this kind of thing before, and let me tell you i had a blast! I took the 355, and i have to say, i had a great time with the car. I dont think the Lambo would have been as much fun, as it is too wide. I had the car drifting all over the place. I got to do 4 runs, and my first, i was disqualified. I got out there and saw all these cones, and didnt know where to turn. I started out with a lap time of over 42 seconds, and got down to a best of 39.16. In comparison, a Z06 driver, who races all the time was getting 36.XX's . All in all, i had a blast. There was some nice cars there, like the Z06, a Z8, some Porsches, New Mr2's, couple of 350Z's and a 300Zx TT. Me and the Z06 driver hit it off, and took turns going for rides in each others car. I have to say, the Z06 was VERY impressive. When i got out of his car, i told him that it felt more sure footed than the 355. Funny thing was, he felt the 355 was more sure footed than the Vette. Everyone was extremely excited to see a Ferrari out there, but as soon as they found out i had the Diablo, they were dissapointed i didnt bring that. There was a camera crew there video taping for a future local TV show on SCCA racing, and they took plenty of footage of me in the 355, and also interviewed me. So ill be a celebrity now!

After the race, me and the Z06 owner decided to do alittle roll on racing. I was actually pleasantly suprised. When i changed the headers/exhaust and bypass pipes on the 355, i noticed a big difference in bottom end power. We raced several times from a 3000rpm first gear roll, and each time the 355 would jump the Z06, and pull slightly when it was in its powerband. I could hold my lead 1-2-3-and to about the middle of 4th, when he would come from behind and pull about 1 car on me, and we would stay that way through 5th. Several times racing, always same result. For the first time, i liked the 355.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sounds like a LOT of fun. Thanks for the pics Allan.
The 355 Spyder looks great from every angle. I actually prefer the style of the 355 to the 360.

-Dean.

·
Registered
899 Posts
if you think cone racing is fun do a open track/drivers education day at a track near you. higher speeds increased cornering limits and 20-25 minutes(usually 4-5 sessions in a day) sessions instead of 4 runs, you will actually work up a sweat. The 1-1hr20min. of track time will really hone you skills. I have not done autocross in 5 years since i started doing track days. If you really want to do well in auto_x buy a miata cheap the one I have does very well in track and auto-x(small lite, well balanced). the SRT does ok in auto-x but just too big, heavy and powerful to be effective in small areas.

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
AutoX is lots of fun. The best part is, it doesn't cost too much to run. You can bring anything! I've seen guys run some old AMC's. The group of people (unless they are with Porche Club of America) Are really great. I had lots of fun doing the AutoX thing. I can't wait to get back and start again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts