Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned Since 2003
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting some high flow cats while I am putting on my new Borla system and wondered about any hints on the install.

I assume you just take off the stock cat and the pipe it's welded too...cut it off...weld on the new one and then attach the rest of the exhaust behind it.

I assume the new cat length will be the same as the stock?

now I assume I should get the standard random cats from parts rack..2 1/2 inch size pipe on the cat. right? I don't plan on doing any mods to the engine.

Parts rack shows a pic of a 3 inch on a 2 1/2 inch pipe and it looked stupid...it had reducers on both sides. If one needs a 3 inch cat...why not just go with a complete 3 inch exhaust and do the job right?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Is the Borla kit 3"? If so, why not run a 3" HF cat? A reducer can be used at the upstream portion of the cat to connect to the stock portion, then you have 3" the rest of the way back. Maybe I'm not understanding the question?

·
Banned Since 2003
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
simms said:
Is the Borla kit 3"? If so, why not run a 3" HF cat? A reducer can be used at the upstream portion of the cat to connect to the stock portion, then you have 3" the rest of the way back. Maybe I'm not understanding the question?
good question...here are my thoughts...

It is a 3 inch system but from what I am told (I do not have it yet) it slides over the pipe off the stock cat.

Plus the 3 inch cat is 55.00 more. Not a lot of money but why spend it if you don't need it and have to worry about cutting, reducers and proper length?

here is a pic of the 3 inch on a stock pipe...looks silly to me with all the reducing.

[image]http://secureprocessing.net/PartsRack/WebShop/images/ProductImages/Exhaust/Cat1.jpg[/image]

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with viper exhausts, but I have done many Flowmaster, Dynomax's, Gibsons etc. on trucks and mustangs. Most of the 2.5 or 3" catbacks due slip over the stock exhaust (2.5 to say 2.25, or 3" to stock 2.5") The part of the exhaust that slips over is a reducing piece, say a reducer from the 3" catback to the stock 2.5" piece. This may be how the Borla works. So I think you are concerned that the Borla won't fit over a 3" cat. One some cat backs the reducer can also be eliminated. One a side not, NAPA make a pipe expanding tool that is only $10, can be used to flare a pipe to fit over another.

Call Partsrack and tell them what you are planning. I beleive when you order the cats, the specialy make the length etc. to fit your particular setup. May be the best bet.

The pic above definately looks odd. It creates a bottle neck.

·
Banned Since 2003
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
crazedone2 said:
Why dont you just go catless? Pollute the environment a bit, youll love it.
I would but I have to pass the sniffer test here in Ohio.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Toby

I have the exact same question. Are you getting the new Borla exahust with additional mufflers in the rear? I believe you can get these for $800 shipped. Per my discussions with Sean Roe, he told me to go with 2.5" for the exact reason you mentioned above. Of course, this is diffeernt if you are getting headers and thus have 3" all the way down.

·
Registered
171 Posts
And second point, don't go with 2.5" from Partsrack. It's expensive and it is not Random Tech. I am going with Sean Roe.

·
Banned Since 2003
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sbkim said:
And second point, don't go with 2.5" from Partsrack. It's expensive and it is not Random Tech. I am going with Sean Roe.
Thanks for the heads up...his web site shows a pic of a 3 inch with the random sticker for an example of the 2 1/2. Seems sorta misleading.

The smaller round roe ones are 10 inches long...I wonder if that is the same length as the stock one. The ovals are 12 inches.

I think I am going to measure my stock one tonight and see if anything extra is needed...I just want to avoid extra pieces, reducers, etc etc. Makes for a sloppy install.

·
Banned Since 2003
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sbkim said:
Toby

I have the exact same question. Are you getting the new Borla exhaust with additional mufflers in the rear? I believe you can get these for $800 shipped. Per my discussions with Sean Roe, he told me to go with 2.5" for the exact reason you mentioned above. Of course, this is different if you are getting headers and thus have 3" all the way down.
yes...those are the ones. I am getting them for 775.00 shipped.

I am not going with headers as I didn't feel I needed them for a stock motor and no plans for any mods.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Where did you order your exhaust from Toby?

If the Borla is meant to be a cat-back system, it should install on the stock piping after the cat. This means the inlet of the exhaust system would be 2 1/2" ID (inner diameter).

I am getting ready to order an exhaust for mine, I planned on going either B&B or Corsa. I am anxious to see/hear how yours turns out Toby.

·
Banned Since 2003
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just was home for lunch and measured the stock cat...it's a lot longer than any high flow cat so...

Roe's web site offers to weld the correct length for a direct fit. Nice.

I have not ordered them yet..still checking into the vendor.

BTperformance
4014 Honey Oaks
Seabrook Texas, 77586
832-724-3680

thing is they never answer their phone and take a long time to get back with emails.

If I can find that price from trusted vendor...I will buy from them instead.

I will keep everyone posted on who I buy from.

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
Toby said:
crazedone2 said:
Why dont you just go catless? Pollute the environment a bit, youll love it.
I would but I have to pass the sniffer test here in Ohio.
you cant just pass the guy a few benjamins? You could also weld on a couple of v-band clamps and make a test pipe and slot in the cat for emissions testing.

·
Banned Since 2003
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just ordered round cats from Roe...they make them so they are a direct fit and just slide over the stock pipe. They are also suppling 4 band clamps.

I can also put my stock system back on as well with these if I would ever want too.

I chose round as the ovals are not needed for my application (no plans for any major engine mods)

FYI...They would match prices on the Borla but not for 775.00 shipped. He said that was a great deal.

Easy solution!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Toby, in PA you can get your car emission exept if you put less than 4000 or 5000 miles on it per year. That way you don't have to get sniffed, just technically pass a visual. But if you know your inspection mechanic, that can be ignored. Does Ohio do anything like this?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Smokin said:
Toby said:
I chose round as the ovals are not needed for my application (no plans for any major engine mods)
Why not? The stock viper is painfully slow.
Thanks, I feel real good about my car now. /images/graemlins/sad

·
Registered
920 Posts
here's a pic on mine, a couple of tacks after been lined up on the car then removed onto the bench for a complete weld (balanger headers)

Attachments

·
Banned Since 2003
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Toby said:
I just was home for lunch and measured the stock cat...it's a lot longer than any high flow cat so...

Roe's web site offers to weld the correct length for a direct fit. Nice.

I have not ordered them yet..still checking into the vendor.

BTperformance
4014 Honey Oaks
Seabrook Texas, 77586
832-724-3680

thing is they never answer their phone and take a long time to get back with emails.

If I can find that price from trusted vendor...I will buy from them instead.

I will keep everyone posted on who I buy from.
I just purchased a set.

Borla part #BOR140049 for 775.00 shipped.

The guy I talked with is Trent Blevins. Nice guy. I told him about VA.

He said they have been in business for about 2+ years.

·
Banned Since 2003
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
simms said:
Toby, in PA you can get your car emission exept if you put less than 4000 or 5000 miles on it per year. That way you don't have to get sniffed, just technically pass a visual. But if you know your inspection mechanic, that can be ignored. Does Ohio do anything like this?
So far from what I have asked...Ohio doesn't offer this.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.