Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading the artical in car and driver. This thing is bang for the buck big time. Beating out or hanging with many cars in the open class. There are lots of exsamples. Granted the evo didn't have the power after say 100mph to keep up with many of these cars but arould that track it held it's own against cars costing 2-4 times what the evo cost. :bowdown: I think the world has a new bang for the buck champ.

exsamples:

Vishnu Lance Evo

[email protected] [email protected]

0-60 3.4

1/4mi [email protected]

Road Course 48.5 sec

Price as tested 56,874.

RSI Twin turbo Viper

0-60: ???

1/4 mi: [email protected] <---rsi's car is much faster but check this out....

Road Course: 48.5 sec <---damnn....same as that evo.

Price as tested 136,745 :shock:

Lingenfelter 427 twin turbo vette:

0-60: 4.1 (wheel spin)

1/4mi: [email protected] (trap speed much faster then evo...but....)

road course: 49.0 sec (beat out by the evo)

Price as tested 149,187

Evotech Gallardo

0-60 4.1 (sounds like a stock viper gts to me...hehehe.)

1/4mi: [email protected] (evo kills it here too.)

road course: 47.9 sec (faster then evo. Must handle like a dream)

Price as tested 203,171 :shock:

MTI ZO7 vette

0-60: ???

1/4mi: [email protected] (trap speed nearly the same 120 vs 122)

Road course: 48.8sec (close to the eveo)

Price as tested: 108,275

· Registered
2,599 Posts
:stupid:

I agree, that car aint pullin' those times all day long doing 5k clutch dumps and driving the piss out of it relentlessly like the others. The stress that engine and driveline (sky-high dumps) is under is much more than any of the others.

· Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea...that's kinda the responce I exspected from this site. It's the "If it's not a viper it's a POS".

I'm sure if you gave that evo the same power as the rest of the cars...hands down it would take them. The funnest part is look at the price.

You could have 3 or 4 evo's for the price of 1 of the other cars. Besides that, the price to repair the evo vs even the vette...much less the viper...is by far cheaper.

· Registered
11,128 Posts
Tanked said:
yea...that's kinda the responce I exspected from this site. It's the "If it's not a viper it's a POS".

I'm sure if you gave that evo the same power as the rest of the cars...hands down it would take them. The funnest part is look at the price.

You could have 3 or 4 evo's for the price of 1 of the other cars. Besides that, the price to repair the evo vs even the vette...much less the viper...is by far cheaper.
My fried owns ESX which builds WRXs. Last weekend when we were at the track, he ran a 9.44 @ 153 mph. Those little cars can be built into monsters.

· Registered
21,933 Posts
Tanked said:

yes because I am one of the people that doesn't appreciate other cars.. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's fast but it's a fucking time bomb

· Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rollmodel: I'm just making the point that just because it's not a viper doesn't mean it's a POS. Would I sell my ACR nope. But would I buy a Evo as a stable mate...sure would. How about a daily driver...hell yea. I'd park it right next to the supra. Is it wrong to think any other car other then a viper is a awesome car? You guys are starting to sound like the import Honda civic boys.

As far as the evo being a bomb I doubt it. Here let me quote something out of the mag.

"This 53% increase in power, however didn't necessitate new pistons or a different compression ratio. The necessary additions were cams, rod bolts, head studs beefy cusco front and rear differentials, and a high-capacity exedy clutch."

The 4g63 is a very strong motor. It is taking 25psi. Pistons, rods and crank where all left alone. You guys can't say that is not impressive. I have yet to hear of a viper that is running more then 15-17psi of boost, without changing some internals on the engine. Does anyone know of a viper that runs more than 25psi of boost???? Didn't think so.

It's kinda like the Supra. A lot of viper owners hate the supra...but it to is a impressive car. Much like the vette.

· Hooray for me, & fuck you
7,751 Posts
Tanked said:
The 4g63 is a very strong motor. It is taking 25psi.
that car grenaded the motor on day 4 of OTC.

· Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OTC...where and what one. I was just looking at Car and Driver's "10,000hp slugfest." The only issue the car had was the intercooler pipe keept blowing off.

· The Burn Clinic
7,295 Posts
ryan0 said:
Tanked said:
The 4g63 is a very strong motor. It is taking 25psi.
that car grenaded the motor on day 4 of OTC.
I think it was the tranny on the Vishnu car. And I think it had a crank trigger problem after the first day (the day it went through the fence).

That said, it was definitely the moniest EVO out there and I wouldn't hesitate to own one as a dual purpose car. They are simply too much fun to drive. Brett's is making about 400 trackable HP to the wheels now for less than $3500 into the motor.

Godawful ugly, but one of the best driver's cars out there (till something breaks).

· Registered
7,286 Posts
Craig201MPH said:
Tanked said:

yes because I am one of the people that doesn't appreciate other cars.. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's fast but it's a fucking time bomb

ah....

bullshit

that is all

Evo's might only be a 4 banger but they are not time bombs.... show me one that blew up and I'll show you a moron driver.

· Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hehe...I blew up my 1st 4g63. I was tuning the AEM and fucked it up. To this day, I don't know what button I hit..but I blew it. After rebuilding the motor with busher parts it was rock solid. It made about as much power as my ACR. But the AWD sure was nice to get it all down. Too bad my Talon had a limp noodle chassy. I'm still thinking about picking up a used EVO 8 MR(when they are sold used anyway) It would make one hell of a track car.

It was so much fun driving the car in the rain. I drove the viper in the rain once....NEVER AGAIN! I almost spun the viper doing about 35mph making a right hand turn. I had the tail out...WAY out.

· Registered
7,286 Posts
:rofl: I often make blanket statements Tanked - I do it to stir - not calling you a moran /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Yeah - my brother has the latest Evo 8 in New Zealand - the spec over there is the same as the Japs with rally active suspension etc plus he has a chip and may do intake and exhaust upgrades later.

The car is so fast point to point it makes even grandma look good. The give-away is watching the rear vision mirror and seeing lessor cars hanging their tails out and fighting for control while you are on a country drive thinking you are being restrained.... :thumb:

Compared to the hot stroked Skyline before the EVO 8 my brother had - they are totally different. The Skyline had loads more power (737 rwtq) and was a knock out punch in a spiked glove. The EVO by comparison is refined and actually corners as quick, but comes in a velvet glove. Ride however is similar - maybe the Skyline rode better around town - but at speed both are one handed drives at 150mph with the stereo on.

Both are incredible driving cars.

· Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree. I drove an imported skyline GT-R (R34). It had intake upgraded turbo's exhust and a few other "bolt-ons" (ie no internals or head/cams ect) WOW...that thing quick. I drove it on a country road near Mt.Rainer, It was right hand drive and everything. It was so odd driving on the other side of the car. It was so odd shifting with my left hand. I couldn't get nearly to the car's limits.

· Registered
7,286 Posts
lol - you get used to it...

My brothers was a 3.2 long stroke engine which had massive torque. The body was an R32 - the lightest. The car was devastatingly quick out of turns, so much so that on a twisty coastal road we used to dork superbikes with ease - we could out corner them and were able to stay ahead between turns.... :nod:

we'd holeshot them out of a turn (thanks to awd) then by the time they started to reel us in again we were having to brake for the next turn... our entry speed would be at least as good as theirs, but we could maintain it while they had to drop off on all the tight turns (can't lean a bike past the pedals /images/graemlins/laughing.gif) so we'd pull them from the turn all the way out until halfway down a straight when they'd come back at us.. but never quite catching /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

I think that is about as much fun as you can have in a public road /images/graemlins/laughing.gif but the bikes would have beaten us for sure out on an open road - the car was only good for 11's on the 1/4... it was the torque that made it amazing - peaking at just 5200rpm... tho would pull hard to 7k in 5th - way past the redline (it wasn't the GTR engine - those will rpm way past 8k but lose bottom end and mid-range)

· Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't recall it having tons of tq down low but I do recall what you are talking about in the corners. I bet if you put racing slicks on it. Then did turn after turn...you'd get sick...or a headache. /images/graemlins/toothy

· Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I checked the price of importing a R34 Vspec II into the us through motor rex....and it was the cost of a new GTS (approx $80,000.) So, I got a viper and not a Evo Lancer/Skyline or Noble M12 GTO 3R. With the $30,000 I saved from buying the viper, I had enough money to upgrade my house with a 3rd car garage and a few other "nicey" things.

· Registered
7,286 Posts
yeah - Skylines are very expensive here. To make you cry - for under $7k you could buy a tricked out very sweet R32 Skyline GTS-4. An R32 GTR would set you back $20k. Don't be put off by the age - that is a great model and they age very well, miles don't bother them if looked after.

The cheapest way is to buy the GTS-4 which has the GTR AWD setup without the GTR 2.6 engine. You can get 450-500hp easily out of an RB25DETT engine OR do what my brother had - use the long stroker RB30 shortblock (3 litre) take it out to 3.2, then drop on the twin cam 24V head from a RB25DETT engine, fit forged pistons from the trick turbo 4 banger, add a single big turbo and intercooler, fuel it up and get a good engine management setup (Like a LINK which is cheap but does everything you want) - and voila - huge torque, decent hp. The GTS-4 has lower gearing so the thing will monster out of turns in 4th gear better than a stock GTR in second, yet still hit 155mph in 5th at 7000rpm.

While the GTR feels like a higher powered Vitec, the GTS-4 with the RB30 block feels like a Viper with short gearing and AWD... esp. at 22lb boost :nod:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.