Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I just signed up and i'm from England, thought this forum looks really really kool. I just wanted to know everyones views on Dodge Viper Replica kit cars, do u acceppt them in your world of vipers or what ?

Cheerz guys
Matt

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
When someone builds one that is on par (or better) than the original, it might be more interesting. Cobra kit cars (good ones) can be cool. Most of the Viper kit cars I have seen are bastardized pieces of dung.
:repuke:

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Never seen a good one.

I guess if someone made a kit that honoured the Viper name instead of being a "wanna be" like the replica's I've seen - then maybe Viper owners would be more supportive.

Truth is why do it? To build something better will require enough money to buy a real one and do it up. To do a cheap kit only makes it a pretender....

catch 22. It takes money to make something special

I'd respect a chrome moly space framed chassis with carbon fibre Viper GTS body and an all aluminium 572 Indy wedge between its legs - twin turbo'd of course. /images/graemlins/smiles :nod:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Niceee /images/graemlins/smiles !

See what ya mean, i really wouldn't mind the Kit Car version, venom.. But only because i wan't to fully custom the engine to a Chevy ! I think that taking out the real Viper engine would just ruin it ! ...

Even a cosworth engine which i would start out on, would be interesting ! .. fact the possabilites (spelling) of tuning are endless, and the modding ! ... making it something different !

Fact is i could get a real viper, or kit version .. its not about money, but about how practicle i can mod the engine of it , like i said... taking out the real viper engine would just ruin it ... (Why take it out) ? ... to be different yes, ! .. i dunno !

·
Out to lunch
10,529 Posts
What is the point? You can have a piece of shit Viperero or buy a good Gen 1. If you must have a Chevy motor in something, Buy a Chevy. Viper engines commonly handle over 1000 hp with A/C. But if rice is your goal, I guess going the kit car route would save you enough coin for a box of Uncle Ben's and the ass of a B-52 for wing components. Be fastidious in your quest and don't leave out the Neon and Pepboys bolt on spinners.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I didn't even know viper kit cars existed.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Here are examples of the infamous VetPer, a painfully assed-up abortion of a kit car created by the thankfully defunct Dodge Viper Replica company. (I think I read they got into hot water with Chrysler.)

[image]http://www.realcoolcars.com/cats/features/vetper/CONV-02.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.realcoolcars.com/cats/features/vetper/GTS4.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.realcoolcars.com/cats/features/vetper/CON4.jpg[/image]

These images don't seem to last long wherever they show up. Currently they're at the site linked below. Don't click the images at that site -- they link to dodgeviperreplica.com which is now a domain-squatter site, so you'll be innundated with pop-ups and "friendly" offers to install GAIN Gator spyware. However, it's funny to read the crap this guy has written fawning over what he considers to be the superior Vette guts under this abominable shell.

http://www.realcoolcars.com/cats/features/vetper/

I believe there was one other company trying reasonably hard to sell Viper kit bodies (for Camaros, if I recall correctly), but when the subject comes up, we always come back to the good old VetPer.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
FUGLY!

·
Registered
920 Posts
http://www.fierofactory.com/venom.html

a ugly effort from a UK company, dont know how they get away with it and fall upon the wrath of DC, although they do use a few original dodge parts like the windowscreen, which could be handy for us

there is a highly skilled, fibreglass guy in our club who now has a gen1 RT/10, he previously made from scratch ! a replica RT/10, he made his own moulds, and brought it one of the meets it did look reasonable from a distance. He's making RT and GTS sills at the moment for a few club members with corrosion problems

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Those things look nothing like a Viper. Are those on Camaro bodies? This is a Viper site not a replica site. Also, performance wise, you will not be able to get the level of perfection with a kit, especially the handling.

BTW, if you gonna spend money to get a replica, why don't you save a little more and get the real one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am old enough to drive lol - and i've got a motor !

I only came to the forum asking ur opionions!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think if you are going for just performance than you can do practically anything you want. But if you want a High performance Viper, than my suggestion is go with the real thing.

Cause I know you will drive it around and people (in the know) will clearly see that it is not a Viper so it defeats the purpose. No matter how much faster the replica will be, it will never be a Viper.

Kinda odd don't you think that when you want to buy upgrades for a Viper, you will be looking in a Chevy mag?

I am sure that if you buy a real Viper and sell your motor then use the money from the motor for upgrades on a Viper you will surely like it.

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,462 Posts
I would just feel funny driving a replica of anything that is under 30 years old. I'd feel like a poser. Plus, I can't see how a replica would be cost-effective anyway, given current prices.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Get a real one that has been wrecked up front, so you can replace those pieces with CF or A/M...way cheaper than stock...sell everything partable...and remember, the ass-end on these cars are the most expensive body part...

I also say FUCK a GM motor...build ya a big ole HEMI!!!

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
If you would even consider a replica, youre a fuckin idiot. Go get one, come here and post pics, and then see what I have to say to you. I could use the entertainment.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.