Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 1996 a Gen. I Viper, and if so, with basic performance upgrades what kind of RWHP will this car generate? Also, with Heads/Cam.

Thanks,

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,727 Posts
Jason...We call the 1996 the GenI 1/2...It has GenII suspension, and rear exhaust, but a GenI motor that is rated at 415 hp (flywheel)...But you can expect around 390 rwhp and 430 rwtq stock (roughly)...Dunno about performance upgrades on a GenI...they seem like a bit of a pain to wrench on compared to the GenII (cooling system, alternator in front, head gasket leaks, etc...)

Still a phenomenal car, once you upgrade some of the stock gear...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
well it depends on waht car you are talking about, the RT's were gen 1/2's as snake said above, but the GTS's were gen 2's. I believe due to the high profile cam, that the 96's and 97's were really at about 470? hp to the flywheel, anyone feel free to correct me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,727 Posts
motor602 said:
well it depends on waht car you are talking about, the RT's were gen 1/2's as snake said above, but the GTS's were gen 2's. I believe due to the high profile cam, that the 96's and 97's were really at about 470? hp to the flywheel, anyone feel free to correct me.

We had a 1996 Blue/White GTS dyno at 440 rwhp and 480 rwtq with headers, high flow cats, side exhaust, tubes/filters, and 1.7 RR's, and nothing else! Pretty freakin impressive...I am convinced the 1996 GenII motor was the strongest ever...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,240 Posts
I have seen a dyno show 40/40 at the rear wheels for RR. I also have seen post where there was no gain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,340 Posts
My GenII dynoed 436rwhp/490rwtq in it's bone stock form. I ditched the cats and mufflers and did 455/487 at the wheels. It's a mean lean ZO6 smokin machine! /images/graemlins/yay.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,310 Posts
The '96 and '97 gts's were the strongest I've ever seen - by far the best cam years and great output with just a few simple mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,340 Posts
Mark Young said:
The '96 and '97 gts's were the strongest I've ever seen - by far the best cam years and great output with just a few simple mods.
See, I think that's a bunch of shit! The 98-99 cars had the biggest cams. They were almost the same, but had a liiiittle more lift. Why does everyone seem to think the 96-97 cams were the biggest? BTW, they aren't faster either. :rant:
 

·
Sexist
Joined
·
44,358 Posts
BigCarrot said:
Mark Young said:
The '96 and '97 gts's were the strongest I've ever seen - by far the best cam years and great output with just a few simple mods.
See, I think that's a bunch of shit! The 98-99 cars had the biggest cams. They were almost the same, but had a liiiittle more lift. Why does everyone seem to think the 96-97 cams were the biggest? BTW, they aren't faster either. :rant:
So true. I don't know how many times I've mentioned that my 98 is rougher than my 97. Maybe I'm getting them mixed up. What year is my RT and what year is my GTS?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,310 Posts
Well, I have the 99, and every 96/97 I've ever seen has laid down more stock power on the dyno and has a lot rougher idle. The cams have always gotten progressively milder from what I understand to keep meeting emissions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,299 Posts
Snake Bitten said:
Jason...We call the 1996 the GenI 1/2...It has GenII suspension, and rear exhaust, but a GenI motor that is rated at 415 hp (flywheel)...But you can expect around 390 rwhp and 430 rwtq stock (roughly)...Dunno about performance upgrades on a GenI...they seem like a bit of a pain to wrench on compared to the GenII (cooling system, alternator in front, head gasket leaks, etc...)

Still a phenomenal car, once you upgrade some of the stock gear...
My '96 put down 400rwhp with 463 torque. :burn:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top