Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am a new member , but not a new viper owner so if I seem uneducated about the car please be easy on me.
Now I currently have a 1997 viper gts with 4000 miles . I am located in Arizona and most of the days in the summer are over 100 degrees. My car seems to always run very hot, like 225+ is this normal? I had a 1998 viper gts with 40k miles on it and that car always seemed to run very hot , almost to the point of over heating.I have flushed the radiator , and nothing . The car has a bumper to bumper warr, for 3 more years or 36k what should I do. I put a borla exhaust on the car thinking it would make the car pass more heat out of the engine compartment but no luck. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Premium Member
19,653 Posts
The temp gauge is not the most accurate. If you are worried and want peace of mind, I would get an aluminum radiator adn a 180 degree thermostat. Also, get a fan switch kit. All of these things can be had from Sean Roe, go to www.roeracing.com

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
For over 100 degrees ambient I'd say it will be running pretty hot anyhow. If it's constantly 225+ in city driving or for long stops I'd say that's probably normal on a stock 97 but the other guys will be able to tell you for sure. I'm also not sure of what comes stock on a 97 gts, but maybe a lower temp thermostat and a fan could help (if it doesnt have one). If you have air caught in the lines that would definetely hurt it, not sure if 4000 miles is enough for it to get trapped yet.

Has anyone had any drop in temperatures using a vented cowl?

·
Premium Member
19,653 Posts
Here's another reason to have a RT/10. While driving witht he top off, I can put the heater on low fan speed and to the defrost. The fan will run full time even if temp is well below 180. When I do this my temp never goes above 190(very hot day, heat index of 108).

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
I agree. try putting a the fan kit on as well as a radiator. Vipers do run kinda hot. Even my 01 ACR...I gets warmer then most any car I've ever had. It may have something to do with 488cid and 10 pistions. /images/graemlins/drive

·
Registered
427 Posts
On the 97's they used a smaller fan than in 98. I heard its a pretty common
upgrade to do. I haven't done it on my 97, but I plan too.

I think the cost and difficulty make it an easy upgrade. Might be worth
doing a search........

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
speed101 said:
Hello
I am a new member , but not a new viper owner so if I seem uneducated about the car please be easy on me.
Now I currently have a 1997 viper gts with 4000 miles . I am located in Arizona and most of the days in the summer are over 100 degrees. My car seems to always run very hot, like 225+ is this normal? I had a 1998 viper gts with 40k miles on it and that car always seemed to run very hot , almost to the point of over heating.I have flushed the radiator , and nothing . The car has a bumper to bumper warr, for 3 more years or 36k what should I do. I put a borla exhaust on the car thinking it would make the car pass more heat out of the engine compartment but no luck. any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Before you get the new radiator and misc.,

1. Flush the cooling system completely
2. Get 2 bottles of water wetter and put in reservoir
3. Put in distilled water
4. Burp cooling system thoroughly(If this is not done properly, your car will not run as cool as it can)

Do this first and see how much difference it makes. If you still need the radiator and upgraded fan, then go for it. At least you will know exactly how much benefit you get from each change. I would definitely get the Roe fan kit. If you get a radiator and fan replacement, make sure there is a good shroud either on the radiator or that is part of the fan and mounting.

You could also go to an evaporative cooling system that actually squirts water on the front side of the A/C condensor. This really works well on the turbo import cars to keep the heat down as they are making quite a bit more power/liter compounded with the radiative heat generated by the turbos.

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
speed101 said:
Hello

thanks
Noticed that you changed the cat back system, but you didn't mention the cats. If you didn't change them out for a HF version, the exhaust change wouldn't help much with the overall heat problem.

You also never mentioned that the car overheated in the first 4,000 miles. You may have a poorly calibrated gauge and the car is running well within it's normal operating temperatures (which is generally hotter than most).

·
Registered
533 Posts
Why recommend using just Water Wetter and distilled water? To my knowledge their product does not claim to have full corrosion protection as antifreeze.

The only product I know of that has full corrosion properties without glycol (no freeze protection) is Zerex Racing Super Coolant. Saw it in Car/Driver article months ago. Works great.

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
SVS Turbo said:
Check out Evans cooling products:

Evans Cooling Products

Around $30.00 a gallon. Fill your cooling system for under $200.00

It's expensive, but the results are worth it!

Definitely read about it......

jR.
SVS
Thanks Jr.

Has anyone else used Evans before? I'd like some feedback from a couple people if possible. Pros / cons...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.