Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys about that time to get my oil changed. I am kinda thinking of bringing it to Dodge, but I'd prefer to do it myself. I've done oil changes before.

My questions:

Anything special I should think about before doing the Viper oil change? Same as other cars? Do you guys prefer the Mopar filters?

I was thinking of doing Mobil One 10W-30 since this IS Florida, the car is daily driver, and the weather is about 90 degrees ouch... How many quarts am I going to need... 10?? I bought the service manual on eBay, but the @#[email protected]# guy ripped me and didnt' send it.

Second question, although I see in the manual, I cannot in real life. How do I check the overfill bottle? I see some type of little window behind the pass. tire, but I can't actually see anything in there, any reading, nothing. Suggestions? I'd like to make sure I got enough fluid in there.

Thanks all

·
Registered
458 Posts
GoddFadda
Per the Service Manual...
10 quarts of Mobel 1 10W-30, the hardest part is lifting the Viper.
Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant, Three Year Formula (green in color) or Equivalent.
Mopar Oil Filters are good, equivalent to Purolators, which have the greatest surface area.
Filling the overflow/Coolant Recovery Bottle is a challenge, a turkey baster will help force fluid down the line from the coolant pressure bottle(CPB).
While you have the pressure cap off the CPB, squeeze your upper & lower radiator hoses to purge any trapped air. Fill to bottom of neck - excess will overflow to the Coolant Recovery Bottle.
A flashlight in the round opening in the right-front liner will illuminate the sight window.
Good Luck, let us know how it goes. Definitely unique compared to some cars.

·
Registered
533 Posts
GoddFadda,

Oil change, do not take it to dealer. This is so basic and simple you should really go through the experience yourself. I'm not saying it for the $$ savings, it's more like a bonding thing. You'll actually feel your Viper will be faster after you've changed it yourself.

Save yourself some hassle though. Call a local quick change oil place and ask what day and time you can rent a bay of theirs. Should be max $20.

Underneath: Remove drain plug, drain oil, remove filter, replace filter, replace drain plug.
Topside: Remove cap, install funnel, insert 9 quarts oil, check level and add the other quart as necessary, remember to replace cap, start for a minute, shut down, wait a minute, check level again, cleanup, go driving
Tools: Filter wrench, socket and wrench for drain plug, oil, filter, rags, garbage bag, oil funnel.

#2. Wait until dark. In garage, remove rubber donut to the right of the access slot in wheelwell. Insert flashlight in hole and hold right against overflow bottle. Level will glow like crazy through access slot. If you need to fill, pull off tube from radiator tank that goes to facia tank and fill there.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys, I can't thank you enough for the helpful answers. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I like being a do-it-myselfer, and the Viper has a way about it, that adding a key ring to the keychain is even worth a good 2hp. My GF is already jealous of all the attention it gets /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

I will be doing it next weekend, and will post my findings.

·
Registered
38 Posts
*BTW, make sure you warm the engine slightly before changing the oil.

*Also make sure you fill the new filter with fresh oil before you install it.

There are many performance oriented drivers who are now using German-made Castrol 0W30. This is a new motor oil that adheres to the latest more stringent European standards. Several guys have tested it and had oil analysis done and it is better than Mobil 1.

I'd post the link, but I'm too lazy.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
95Viper said:
insert 9 quarts oil
Note this part in particular, since you said 10 qts.

With some years and models, the manual is wrong. My 01 takes 9, but I also saw an early 01 (build date in 2000) at my tech's shop which took 8 or 10 or something different -- I forget the exact amount now. The best thing to do the first time around is put about 8.5 in there, then run it and check the level.

I strongly prefer the K&N filter, or if that is unavailable, the Mobil-1 filter. Mopar uses different manufacturers for their Mopar-branded filters, and at times they have been made by total junk manufacturers, such as Fram. I assume it must be a bulk pricing thing. I don't have the link handy, but there are a couple websites out there which disassemble and assess the quality of oil filters, and Mopars are usually not particularly good.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went with the Mobil filter.

Just FYI my 02 RT took a full 10 quarts!! Put in 9.5 until it was good, went for a drive. Checked the oil the next morning, added the rest and now its happy.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right now Autozone is doing a cool deal. Buy 5 quarts and get a big discount on the filter. I ended up buying two 6 quart boxes, so now I have a spare filter for next time.

If you're lookin to buy a filter, Autozone might be the way to go for this month while the deal is on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts