1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
that is fucking awsome

·
Banned Since 2003
17,762 Posts
Notice that is a rt/10 with some sort of a GTS type of top. I thought it was a GTS at first.

That would shake me up a bit wondering what the heck just happened. Nasty.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Toby said:
Notice that is a rt/10 with some sort of a GTS type of top. I thought it was a GTS at first.

That would shake me up a bit wondering what the heck just happened. Nasty.
Hell yeah! Amazing they kept the car straight. If you just wince at 160 (or 180?) you're gonna roll the car.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,147 Posts
[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/12roadrunner-med.jpg[/image]

Serious has Area 69 experience with a paisano at 150+.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
This was at the Sandhills Open Road Race in Arnold NE. 55 miles of closed county road that used to be a cow trail that they continually put sand/rock and oil down to make a driveable road for vehicles. This road is unengineered and the most fun I've ever had racing. :nod:

Actually it was more around maybe 120-130mph when the bird hit.(judge it in the video) If you put your finger at the point where the top meets the windshield and try to push your finger through the weatherstripping, you can't even push it through. You can barely get a screwdriver through. We have wondered many times how the heck that bird was cuisinarted into the car. Someone suggested that there might be a slight lift at those speeds that seperates the top from the windshield? I doubt it though. Possibly just the forces when they met??????????

In the straightaway is where we topped out at 160mph due to the 3:73 gear. The Viper won the overall unlimited class with a 130mph avg. over the 55 miles.

There's alot left for the avg. on this road. Notice how much overslowing there is in the entry to the turns. I couldn't hear a thing from my navigator from the very start. We were winging it.

There's some serious rollers and blind dropoffs that suddenly go left and then right. If your not careful you will be rolling out into the black angus cowpies. A vette rolled into the fields 2 years ago. I was told the guy was picking glass out of the farmers cowshit for hours.

I get excited watching this stuff again. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif 29 miles, around 15 minutes going North, then you have breakfast and do another 26 miles South on the same road. 80 cars race against themselves. So much fun!

Here's the bird kill Vid:

Sandhills Open Road Race

·
Landscaping Professional
14,147 Posts
Ron,

My '93 top header used to leak air (and water) and lift at elevated speeds between the latches. I don't know what kind of structure your hard top has in that area, but there is definitely a high level of static pressure at the windshield/top header interface. A bird beak would act like a wedge, then air pressure would help widen the gap.

·
Team Crown Recruiter
11,439 Posts
I love that video!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
GTS Dean said:
Ron,

My '93 top header used to leak air (and water) and lift at elevated speeds between the latches. I don't know what kind of structure your hard top has in that area, but there is definitely a high level of static pressure at the windshield/top header interface. A bird beak would act like a wedge, then air pressure would help widen the gap.
It's an Autoform hard top on a 96 rt. Your probably right Dean, especially at those speeds.

We played this video over and over in slow motion from the camera and it looks like the poor bird is going "OH SHIT" and trys an evasive maneuver as he plants his feet on the windshield and skids into oblivion.

I think West Coast Viper caught a turtle in the front splitter and launched him up the diveplane. :bowdown:

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
I hit 170MPH last night in the RT/10 with the soft top on, and there was a veritable maelstrom of air coming in between the top and windshield, pretty easy to see how a bird would cuisinart all over the place like that...

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
If a piece of straw can go through a telephone pole in a tornado...i don't see why a bird could go through a tight space like that.

But that is a fuckin awesome picture! DAYUM!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts