Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I wanted to know more about the viper engine, I have seen around 1800-2000 horsepower twin turbo preparations and even more, all the owners have not replaced the engine block with a billet one, NTH MOTO has reached 3100 horsepower, the original engine block can sustain 1800-2000 horsepower and even more, only forged pistons, connecting rods and crankshaft are replaced. My question is up to what horsepower is an original viper engine block still reliable? At what maximum power does it start to give problems and breaks?

here is the article about the 3100 horsepower viper still with the original engine block

thanks everyone for the advice guys

·
Gone Nomad
6,297 Posts
The block was never the issue, especially when sleeved.

something else breaks first. And don’t think the guys pushing HP limits aren’t breaking things left and right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you, usually what are the pieces that tend to break at high powers?

However if the engine block also resists 3100 horsepower, the engine is a rock, really exaggerated, I don't know of any original engine block that supports that power, it's really monstrous.

On average, up to what power can the viper engine be considered reliable? I mean an engine with original block but with forged pistons and connecting rods

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
The Viper engine improved and got lighter with each generation so they're not apples to apples. As far as the block is concerned if you can build a combo to take it to its limits, then budget is no constraint so why worry about it?

The guys going north of 2000hp can afford billet, but most like the idea of sticking with what they have to see how far they can go. If it pops they're not going to go broke, just find out where the weak link was and fix it.

There are a few billet Viper engines out there in fact....and those that have them like to keep it to themselves

As for stock block 2000+hp (that lasts pull after pull) the devil is in the details. There will be all sorts of black magic in there depending on who built it. From unique oiling mods to blueprinting specs unique to that builder.

The key to reliability in a street driven 2000+hp car is to use (a lot) less power most of the time. Steve Morris and Proline can build you 4000hp streetable engines.... but nobody is going to use that much power on the street. They have service requirements and change intervals for key components.

Run 2000hp in a boat and see how long it lasts....

Unless you are experienced at that power, half that will have you shitting your pants on the street. 2000hp is ridiculous and unusable until the speeds are way above interstate limits no matter what tire and setup you run. Even on prepped tracks and slicks it's a real art to get them to get the power down.... drag slicks and all the power is rolled out via traction control and/or boost control by gear etc.

More than one twin turbo car got detuned (or left in lowest tune) after a run on kill ended in a bad smell in the car. Twin turbo Vipers are absolutely manic to drive in any built up area, and on the highway you'll need plenty of room to stretch one - not just ahead of you, but beside you too.

It would be cool to see a Viper V10 setup in a dedicated drag car like a pro mod - then you could really see the capability of the factory casting. Sal Patel has gone as far as anyone I know (6's at 200mph) but car is still street legal lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for advise , on this forum there are users with 1500-2000 hp Viper? I'd like to know what components they replaced to hold up that power, viper is the most brutal car in the world

1 - 5 of 5 Posts