Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Landscaping Professional
14,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The general sentiment among the track participants is that we definitely want to do this again - and sooner than later. The sentiment amongst a number of the car show entrants generally was that it was too focused on the track activities and they just didn't 'get it.' So, we're working on something to help them 'get it.'

A lot of dialog has ensued and folks are planning on another event soon - perhaps in January - and that means South or West. The organizers are looking to start a Viper Racing League 2.0, along with Time Trial groups and HPDE - just like the old days.

If you might have an interest, let it be known and I will pass along info.

·
Registered
23,275 Posts
Nice

·
Premium Member
4,427 Posts
The general sentiment among the track participants is that we definitely want to do this again - and sooner than later. The sentiment amongst a number of the car show entrants generally was that it was too focused on the track activities and they just didn't 'get it.' So, we're working on something to help them 'get it.'

A lot of dialog has ensued and folks are planning on another event soon - perhaps in January - and that means South or West. The organizers are looking to start a Viper Racing League 2.0, along with Time Trial groups and HPDE - just like the old days.

If you might have an interest, let it be known and I will pass along info.
If you need participants I could take the bogan mobile out and show some of the parking lot guys how to drive 🤣

That was the highlight of my weekend at MSR Houston the dirty looks from the pcar and Vette crowds

Reactions: Brickhead

·
Registered
18 Posts
I suppose a bit more information about the administration/ logistics of how Viper Days works would be helpful.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The series started in around '95 as a HPDE for Viper owners in the midwest. In '97 there was enough interest to go to events more spread out across the country with optional time trials and some rudimentary class structure. Drivers were grouped according to skill, experience and best lap times by session. As the years went by, the series got up to 10-12 events across the country, with East and West Regions and a Finals event by invitation.

The class structure became highly refined - Stock, Super Stock, Street Prepared, Competition Modified, Unlimited and Pro classes. This led directly to Dodge building the Competition Coupe, the formation of the Viper Racing League, then the World Challenge VCC kit. A number of top drivers then started running World Challenge - some with very good results, who moved on to Pro racing in other series. Despite the tremendous growth and competition, the HPDE was always at the core of all events, excluding the Finals.

Right now, the intent is to try to run 3 events and a Finals to gauge overall interest in getting this thing going again. I'd say it's very doubtful that it would ever get as massive as it once was. But there's a need to help train and maintain a skilled and motivated owner base, along with keeping a flow of reasonably priced, necessary used and reproduction parts to keep our cars running for many years.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ben Keating from Victoria, TX. started out in a Gen 2 GTS doing Viper Days HPDE at TWS outside College Station where we both went to school. He then went to Time Trials, then Viper Racing League, then Viper Cup, then World Challenge. He races sports cars across North America and Europe now. These articles are from last weekend's IMSA race at Laguna Seca. If there was ever a person who was TOTALLY IN THE ZONE, it was him. Read about half way down both links...

Qualifying:

Race Report:

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Ben Keating from Victoria, TX. started out in a Gen 2 GTS doing Viper Days HPDE at TWS outside College Station where we both went to school. He then went to Time Trials, then Viper Racing League, then Viper Cup, then World Challenge. He races sports cars across North America and Europe now. These articles are from last weekend's IMSA race at Laguna Seca. If there was ever a person who was TOTALLY IN THE ZONE, it was him. Read about half way down both links...
I've done Viper Days in the northeast a few times over the years, the most recent was at VIR in 2014 with Skip Thomas. I do a lot of NASA events here in the northeast. Problem is Viper owners simply don't come out in meaningful numbers like they used to. And when they do come out, like you stated, they're confused/overwhelmed by the track activities. OR...they're worried about protecting the value of their Vipers, lol. We have to train a new generation of Viper owners and remind them their Vipers were bred for the track. HPDE tends to suck them in if run properly. I hope Viper Days happens near me in CT but will make the road trip to the closest track.

Reactions: GTS Dean

·
Registered
18 Posts
I suppose I am interested; but I am likely just as Viper Tony described. I would be afraid to damage my 2008. It is reasonable to think if I race my Viper, I need to be prepared that I might total it. But, yes - interested.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I suppose I am interested; but I am likely just as Viper Tony described. I would be afraid to damage my 2008. It is reasonable to think if I race my Viper, I need to be prepared that I might total it. But, yes - interested.
Anything can happen but in HPDE 1 or 2 you're relatively safe and under instruction. You're not doing a ricky bobby impression with your ass hanging out around the track trading paint. :D In the advanced run groups I've had little issue. ViperDays is well run. I suggest checking it out. OnTrack insurance is run by a pro racer, fellow viper owner friend and offers track insurance for HPDE. If you're really concerned about damage its something to look into. A well run HPDE event is the best way to learn about you and your Viper especially Viper Days instructors who know the car and have experience. It's fun.

Reactions: GTS Dean

·
Landscaping Professional
14,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is reasonable to think if I race my Viper, I need to be prepared that I might total it. But, yes - interested.
Every time you leave the driveway of your home, you might total your Viper.

You won't be RACING your viper. You will be classed and gridded according to your experience level and demonstrated proficiency. There will very likely be an instructor riding with you. You will be very strictly limited on passing opportunities and then only in designated areas. You may be clocked just for gridding purposes and to minimize the number of overtaking opportunities once you have a session or two behind you. This is exactly what we did at RA and it worked great. Ben Keating very nearly lapped me 3 times in the first combined 25 minute practice session.

Just to reiterate, the 2021 Road America Reunion was almost exclusively for people with significant experience with Viper Days, NASA, SCCA, or other car clubs. It was NOT a typical V. D. event structure because we were running in narrow time slots during a Sanctioned Pro/Am RACING event. There were a small handful of pretty inexperienced drivers there, but everyone else deftly worked around them without incident.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts