Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
>>> VIDEO OF MANNY\'S CAR vs. A SHITLOAD OF BUSAS -- 180+ MPH <<<

OK guys, here's the video. Just so you know, the race was set up so I could run a stock Busa -- no pipe, no mapping, no nothing. Only one of the bikes there was like that, and I end up racing that bike 3 times.

A few things to consider -- The Suzuki Hayabusa, for those of you who do not know, has been the world's fastest production motorcycle for the past few years. Gerald (who owned a busa) would know more about this than me, but I think in 2000 Suzuki started to limit the top speed so that it would not go faster than 200 MPH.

After the race, I was told that the 1st Suzuki Hayabusa I raced was a Nitrous Bike, with the Nitrous pulled. It was still mapped for Nitrous.

My car on the other hand had full front splitter, rear wing, side splitter, etc. I know these front splitters, wings, side splitters, etc. are very useful on road courses, but I am curious how much speed and acceleration I lost because of it, especially at the 160 to 180 MPH speeds. Anybody know? And I had about 100+ pounds of gear in the back (it had in there what Doug Levin put in there when he shipped it to me, the old suspension set up in a box, part of the exhaust, my 5 point harnesses and assemblies, Part of the rollbar (side portions -- HEAVY) washer fluid and an assortment of other stuff. -- I never took it out. My thought was that the car was not spinning in 2nd gear, so maybe the extra weigh was helping it out, and I didn't want to start dicking with it since I was leaving for a 2 to 3 hour drive to meet the guys for the race)

I wanted to race my car in full street trim, the same as I would had this been a random encounter. I did NOTHING to the car other than add three gallons of higher octane gas in the car since 91 octane sucks and I wanted to avoid detonation. Speaking of which, in the 1st run (from the inside car camera angle) you will hear rattling and then me complain about how I thought the car was detonating. The car was not detonating -- as I was turning the car around after the race, I heard it again under moderate acceleration and noticed a screw that was in the shifter boot that was rattling against the shifter. PHEW! Went on for 6 more races after that at even faster speeds.

This was the 5th day of me getting this car -- I had only driven the car a few times and had only put 100 miles or so on the car before driving it up to the race. I had never punched the car from 2nd through 4th, let alone through 5th. I did punch it in 4th gear about 15 mins before getting to where we were meeting, just to see how it felt on the freeway, but that is all I could do as the freeway was pretty congested most of the way.

So, with all that said, I was ready to race and see what I could do. What the hell I thought -- why start video taping me beating slow bikes or fast mustangs... I might as well go right for the top of the food chain -- Ha!

I ran my car back to back to back against these bikes. My car stayed cool, but after the 1st 3 races, I opened the hood and let the car breathe for about 5 mins just in case and then we were off again.

In the 1st 3 races, just watch when the car is in 4th gear.

Here it is:

RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Re: >>> VIDEO OF MANNY\'S CAR vs. A SHITLOAD OF BUSAS -- 180+ MPH <<<

amazing vid manny, nice watching that bike speedo climb outta sight past 160mph!

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks. I should have dumped the passenger when I raced the 2nd bike. Then again, I didn't expect to beat a modded busa. My main focus was on the 1st race which was to be the totally stock Busa.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts

Amazing insn't it Manny...? YOu have a car is faster than the fastest stock production crotch rocket in the WORLD.. /images/graemlins/smiles

G

·
Registered
7,244 Posts

dang dang

mutter mutter

work computer is on a go slow so I'll have to wait until i can use my home computer to see this

sounds amazing :bowdown:

·
Registered
779 Posts

Now that is sweet. Maybe some day, my Viper will grow up like yours...

·
Registered
6,481 Posts

Top end racing.... Put me in the car. I'm a big chicken shit. Been there done that....Hate the feeling. it sucks when you are on a bike. No protection at all. Manny, Im sure you can drive and wouldn't do anything stupid to kill the guy on the bike, but some of the idiots I have raced top end with I couldn't feel that way about.

I run a moddded old school zx11. When I race against cars I try and make it short and sweet. Holeshot em so bad that they tuck their tails. It scares the shit out of me to have one riht next to me at 150 + or to have one play chase down a backroad.

I'm getting older and like the benifits of the cage.

BTW: That is one WAY fast viper you have.

Did you guys ever try running from a dead dig?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,047 Posts

Very nice video work and a bunch of serious speed addicts. Very impressive!

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Nope, didn't try running from a dig, as I had absolutely ZERO practice doing that. I have a stock clutch and didn't want to accidentally burn the thing up while I was out in the middle of the desert and 3 hours from home. I also had sport cups and not drag radials, so not sure how that would have played into things.

As for racing side by side, on my first run with the 1st bike, I tried to keep as much distance as I could between us. When I heard the rattling sound, I was distracted for a second and my car drifted somewhat close to the edge of the road -- nothing serious, and it looks closer in video than it was in reality, but I was close enough that the wind breaking off the front of my car blew up a little dust.

Unfortunately, when you race a Hayabusa, you're going to pull some serious speed to do it -- the race just isn't going to be over at 130 MPH -- it's just getting started there.

-M

·
Registered
920 Posts

COOL VID, nice work

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Very well done video. I especially like the fact the Hayabusa guys were pretty unbiased.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts

Holy shit that was bad ass!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: That got my blood going by just watching the video.

It sounded to me like you have your shifts down and your new Viper is FAST. :nod:

The modded Busa's were just insane.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts

By far the best racing video I have ever seen on the 'net. Awesome job guys! Those busas are sick, no doubt.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts

Speechless! Incredible video!
Best part was the sound of being passed at over 160 MPH.

Thanks for the show. :thumb:

·
Registered
318 Posts

:bowdown:

Manny, geez, wow, sweeeeet. Kinda makes my 455rwhp seem like a gocart.

Congrat! That's a real beast! Had to be a blast! Nice vid work also.

The speedo shot was wicked!

Thanks for sharing,

DN

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

You can really appreciate how fast the car accelerates from a 75 MPH roll when you watch the race between myself and and the modded ZX12. Watch the speedo on the chase bike. He lets off somewhere around 170 or 180 and we blast on for a few more seconds. I'm calculating about 13 or 14 seconds to get from 75MPH to 180 MPH with full rear wing and front splitter.

·
FUSTFU
9,240 Posts

Awesome video Manny! Your car is by far one of the nicest Vipers I have seen. Everything about it is original and it looks good. Good luck with that car and be safe with it!

·
Registered
806 Posts

Simply incredible. Good to see you taking it easy on the dlm. Just breaking it in. Drive it like you stole it. Just kidding.

I love it when people are not afraid to go fast. I love when a viper owner or vette owner says they go fast and I ask how fast and they said a buck twenty. I do that 3/4 of the way on an onramp.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts

Manny, that Viper of yours is one menacing looking son-of-a-bitch!! Looks good in black.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

utahviper said:
Simply incredible. Good to see you taking it easy on the dlm. Just breaking it in. Drive it like you stole it. Just kidding.

I love it when people are not afraid to go fast. I love when a viper owner or vette owner says they go fast and I ask how fast and they said a buck twenty. I do that 3/4 of the way on an onramp.
I hear ya Utah. I'd love to bring it to Las Vegas, but I can't. Besides, I learned during these races that I would absolutely kill my ET and MPH with the body kit that is on the car. I'm not even sure how difficult it would be to remove the wing and front splitter -- I'm guessing the front splitter would be a BITCH -- I haven't looked under the car at how it is attached, but if it is anything like my other splitter, there's about a million screws holding it in.

Manny

1 - 20 of 69 Posts