Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
American Super Car Challenge Report
Sep 17-18, 2004

Well I am back from the American Super Car Challenge (www.rollingthunderz.com/ascc.html) race at National Trial Raceway in Hebron, OH just outside of Columbus, OH where we race with the National Street Car Association (www.nsca-racing.com/)

Weather was super to say the least. Track was great.

We only had participants in two of the four ASCC classes.

Serious Street (10.50)
This class featured only on car. Jerry Land, driving a Z06 Viper with Cartek 3X package and nitrous was the sole participant.

Genuine Street (11.50)
1. Chris Young (C4 Corvette)...11.517 @ 119.78 (new National Record)
2. Edgar Perez (C5 Corvette).....11.607 @ 117.38 (me)
3. Paul Suloff (Viper).....No official time (ran 11.470 @ 121.37 during open time runs)

First round was me against Paul.
I came in a little underpowered so Paul came in the favorite. When we left, I expected Paul to tree me but I was ahead. I pulled and waited for the 121 MPH capable Viper to catch and pass me but he never did as I took the win by .1723 with a 11.644 @ 118.27 to Paul’s 11.793 @ 121.19. Paul left soft because on his first qualifier he broke the half shaft so he did not want to repeat that. Congrats to Paul for getting it repaired and ready for the race.

Final Round (this is where the Viper world stops reading right?)
Young also had me covered ET wise so it would again be uphill for me. Young executed perfectly cutting both a better tree and running a better ET beating me by .3376 with an 11.560 @ 119.74 to my slower (went deep) 11.793 @ 118.20

Had a great time. Had a few Viper and Vette spectators checking out the series. Thanks for coming out.

Videos of some of the racing can be found at www.challengevideos.com/

· Registered
259 Posts
Congrats to REDGAR and Chris Young. All the cars in the Genuine Street class (11.50 on DOT Radials) were right on the number. The competition was going to be close. I got tree'd big time by REDGAR trying to save other halfshaft for the trip home. Should of gone in on kill and let AAA handle my trip home!

I'm getting tired of representing all the snakes. Get out to some of these next year. A lot more fun to beat a Vet than a Viper! The classes are almost the same as the V10 Nats. Particularly the street class and Genuine Street where you just drive in and race

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not seen the schedule for next year but I am thinking the answer will be a BIG yes.

I will post the new schedule as soon as it is available.

Currently we are considering a race in Toronto and another at Atco in NJ for this year as well.

· Premium Member
4,688 Posts
pauls said:
I'm getting tired of representing all the snakes. Get out to some of these next year. A lot more fun to beat a Vet than a Viper! The classes are almost the same as the V10 Nats. Particularly the street class and Genuine Street where you just drive in and race
That is the main reason we went, to see the Vipers vs. the Vettes. I was a little disappointed when we seen the blue/white GTS and the red rt/10 in the parking lot and not in the pits. We did get to see you run once on your last practice pass, we left right after your half shaft broke. Other than that it was a great day for drag racing.

· Premium Member
4,012 Posts
i would have loved to show and race but my car is still under repairs. believe me, i plan on racing every damn event next yr so long as car is running! congrats Paul; broke a halfshafdt eh, LOL; I told you those BFGs can hook up!

· Registered
276 Posts
The Xenia crew could not make this event to help the Ohio gang out. We thought for sure that Rich would be there to smoke everyone. Congratulations on beating Paul, he is a tough racer.

Shreveport got Superdavz wound up, a new full time drag racer in the making.

· Premium Member
4,688 Posts
Buckeye Viper said:
Hey guys! It was nice seeing/meeting you.

I definitely want to get into racing and I think Chad is definitely interested as well.
I thought that might have been your gts.

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
THE CHAD said:
Edgar, what are the rules for this seies? I went to the website but the rules are not available.

I am especially interested in allowed trannies for the 9 sec non-racecar class.

Thanks,

Chad
Chad the latest version of the rules (this was only the first year) is at www.rollingthunderz.com/ascc.html

In short there is your paragraph

Restricted to manufacturers OEM production based transmission. Transmission upgrades permitted. After market shifter allowed but all gear changes must occur as a result of an internal function of the transmission or as a direct action of the internal function of the transmission. Pneumatic, hydraulic, electric shifters prohibited.

Further clarification or suggestion of change, just send an email to [email protected]

· Premium Member
4,012 Posts
paul is indeed at the top of the foodchain when it comes to dragracing; just look at his best shorttime that says it all!! problem was; paul used my BFGs and they crushed his halfshafts, LOL those BFGs will hook every bit as good as Mickeys if heated up well enough and are at 15psi cold temp.

· Registered
1,229 Posts
REDGAR said:
Even Louisiana?

They are talking about doing something where we can race a road course Friday, Drag race Saturday and show & shine Sunday.
Hey, I bet a lot of Vipers are gonna show up in Louisiana - possibility of a show & shine on Sunday /images/graemlins/laughing.gif /images/graemlins/laughing.gif /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Seriously, they need to make some changes to this series. I don't think it's advertised widely enough. Edgar seems to be the main source of advertising on the forums and, while he's doing a great job, it's not enough for the series to be successful. I was pretty pissed when I drove 5 1/2 hrs each way to MIR and was the ONLY Viper there. Not to mention only 5 Vettes showed. The concept is great but the series is seriously limping right now. Seems like Jerry Land wants to pull out and this guy will travel to the ends of the Earth to race. If the Atco race is firmed up, I'd be more than happy to run both the Viper and the Z06. I hope it happens. I know I can get a lot of fast Vettes to go.

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Paul do you have any ideas how the series can be advertised other than forums?

With the Corvette Challenge I tried sending out a really nice folder with 4 color pages of info on the series to all the clubs in the northeast and we got ZERO response. So cold calling clubs will likely not work either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.