Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Mike,

Problem is, there are not many Vipers period.... And then factor in the amount of people that race.... And then factor in the people's schedule.... And then factor in the travel time since you will not find more than a handful of Vipers in a 100 mile radius....

For example, I traveled 5 hours to spectate at the Viper Nationals, thinking I would see nearly a hundred Vipers.... I WAS PUMPED!!! About 16 showed to raced. /images/graemlins/cursin It's just the nature of the beast with such a limited production vehicle.

Here is a stat... Approx. 35,000 Corvettes were sold in 2003 alone. The amount of Vipers sold from 1992 thru 2002 is approx. 16,000. So if you count the total number of 2003 Corvettes that race at this event, figure half of that number should be Vipers. And I bet the number will be more than half.... Just keep this in mind, it's not that we don't race...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'll come if the weather's good /images/graemlins/smiles

I looked at the website, but don't see any starting time righ-off for the Milan event.

Can you give me some times? I'm guessing we have to take a 10 mile drive before time trials start..

·
Registered
300 Posts
onerareviper, if we had 2 vipers per class at Milan or maybe 5 total, we would consider this a huge success! Small steps will get us there.

FE065, so few cars showed the last race that the 10 mile drive was not done. At MD, It was open time runs from 8 to 11. Qualifying from 11 to 6 and then eliminations after your 3rd qualifier. I got 6 runs in.

Keep in mind that $100 is a weekend pass so you can come back to watch some serious American muscle duke it out on Sunday and a true pro race series. 6 second car and up.

Additionally, if there are 4 cars in the class, winner gets $250 and runner up $150 for 100% payout. You have nothing to lose by winning. In addition, a guaranteed payout is being worked on in the event there is less than 4 in a class.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Might make it over there.....But i think you would have a better turn out if you'd contact the northern ohio VCA or something. There's a good amount of vipers in ohio that might go.

And another reason why you don't have many vipers aside from the LOW build numbers, is that we prolly don't feel like driving all that way and paying a 100 bucks, plus gas, and hotel, and food, to spank a few vettes; when they come up reving at us daily just driving down the street (the "underdog trying to take out the champ" complex). /images/graemlins/wink

·
Registered
300 Posts
Rollmodel thanks for the tip. I will send them some email.

I most cases I accept the fact that the Corvette is the underdog.
In this series, however, it is an index and I do not agree that the Vette is the underdog. It is on the driver to get his/her car built up to the point that it runs the index, 11.50, 10.50, 9.50 and Unlimited. Plenty of room for everyone one on every budget to race.

On travel, I know exactly what you are talking about. I cannot let myself drive the 650 to race when there is not a chance of a return on the investment.
Now don't mistake this for an unsanctioned stop light race (which we really know is all about the driver most willing to hurt people with "vehicular homicide")

This is a sanctioned race at a properly prepped race track with Payouts that begin with a count of only FOUR cars. With four cars, winner gets $250 which will cover my 600 mile trip and should certainly cover you shorter trip (provided you truly can win)

A full 32 car class to race will pay
$1500.00 to win,
$750.00 for 2nd place,
$500 for 3rd place and
$250.00 for a fourth place finish.

A 16 car entry to race a class will pay
$800 to win and
$400 for 2nd place.

An 8 car entry to race a class will pay
$500 to win and
$250 for 2nd place.

A four car entry to race a class will pay out
$250 to win and
$150 for 2nd place.

A two car entry will race for a trophy and the title of race class winner.

I know there are less Vipers produced than Corvettes but Drag Racing is not for everyone and four cars is all that will make this thing work. It can be four Vettes as well but of course it is for American Super Cars and you would not want to give the thousands of race fans that the Vette is the TRUE American Super Car

·
Registered
276 Posts
REDGAR: Contact PAULS, he is the racing coordinator for the OHIO VCA. The easiest other contact for Ohio would be Sam Goldfarb, the treasurer and probably the most active member to spread the word.
MOJO is ready for sure and maybe if the dates are right Superdavz and I can make a trip up there also.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
If I rememebr correctly, it isn't just a $100 fee to race. you _also_ need to buy your NSCA memebership which is an additional, once-a-year fee of $50 or $65. So your 1st race ain't cheap.

i'll make my first race Atlanta to see how it goes. i hope we don't get rained out like last time!

JD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts