Viper Alley banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up an '06 coupe. I have confirmed it has minor mods... headers, CAI, Roe TB, 3.55 gears, and Borla cat-back. Puts out 509rwhp. there isn't really any documentation on the car.

Is there any way I can know if it has a tune or not?

Would a tune even be worth much with minor mods like this?

If the PCM has been tuned, and I decide to get another tune, will flashing over the loaded aftermarket tune cause any problems potentially?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have an 06 as well and after headers, 3.55 gears and a few other minor mods I did have the Viper tuned at DC Performance. The tune did more to smooth things out, help with drivability, and maximize any performance potential of the mods you already have. With your current mods I feel a tune would be in order for the reasons I just listed.

Unfortunately, the only way to really know if you have a tune is to either take it to a local tuner or plug it into something like an SCT Tuner. SCT is the only one I have direct experience with as that was how Todd Abrams at A&C Performance loaded the tune into my Viper earlier last year. Its also possible that whoever had the car before you may have just tuned the car with a pre-packaged tune rather than a custom one.

Whoever tunes your car should have enough brains to know to always backup the current tune before overwriting it with the new one. That way if there is a problem they can always load the old one back in.

My suggestion would be to do some research and find some Viper Tuners in Texas and give them a call. There are a number of them in the great state of Texas. If you plan on doing any further mods to the car then it would behoove you to develop a good relationship with a tuner.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Having it tuned is always better than the generic, one size fits all tune.;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts