Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to put a 10" sub in the back of my GTS. I read somewhere on this forum that I shouldnt block some vent in the back??? Will I be okay if i put a sub in the back on the passenger side?

Thanks,
chan

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
i have 2 8" subs in each of those cubbies. i think the vents are to release the pressure that arises from having the windows down and going at a high speed, and the rear hatch. i have gone 140+ with my windows down, with my subs, and no problem. nothing wrong with adding a little system, just dont go too overboard.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so im assuming a 10" wont fit back in the corner? what 8" have u all gone with?

thanks,
chan

·
Landscaping Professional
14,065 Posts
They are there for two reasons. One is to vent air to the outside if the air bags deploy. They account for a huge amount of interior volume displacement with an immediate pressure spike.

Reason 2 - Some of the very early GTSs had the rubber flaps over them stick shut. This caused rear windows to blow out at high speed when the pressure differential between the cockpit and rear bodywork surfaces was pronounced.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
k, dont want windows to blow out. do u think one open vent wont be enough?

chan

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
The vents in the rear quarter panels are for releiving the extreme pressure spike that arises when the shockwave arising from the exta volume of air being compresed inside the passenger compartment if your airbags deploy. Having those vents present may keep your eardrums from rupturing. On cars without cat's those vents are often what causes you to smell exhaust fumes inside your car due to the vaccuum that is created in that area.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
i just have to say that you guys are badass. Im always learning new stuff about vipers on here. I never had the courage to ask what the vents in the back were for. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Question.. Hard hitting bass makes a pressure spike also. If they are blocked and someone has a SERIOUS stereo in their viper, what would happen? A vented box with 2 12's or 2 15's moves in incredible amount of air..

G

·
Landscaping Professional
14,065 Posts
The air moves equally on both sides of the cone with a ported cabinet. Not nearly the same as an air bag deploying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts