Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving to Illinois and bringing my 05 Viper from New Jersey. The car has after market Borla exhaust with the catalytic convertors removed. Since the check engine light is not on, I can take the car to a non-state station where I was able to get the inspection sticker.

Any way I can get this through in Illinois?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I never understand these questions. Inspections are easy in all states considering I was an inspector to get myself through school.

Go to a local lube shop where the guys make minimum wage, throw them 20$ to look the other way/hook you up, you seriously just made their day. LOL I hate these threads

Gawwwwwd

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
There are no inspections in IL unless you live in Chicago
There is emission testing in certain counties...you just need to check which counties require them. Most that surround Chicago (Crook county) do have emission testing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am moving to Illinois and bringing my 05 Viper from New Jersey. The car has after market Borla exhaust with the catalytic convertors removed. Since the check engine light is not on, I can take the car to a non-state station where I was able to get the inspection sticker.

Any way I can get this through in Illinois?
Here in NJ I can do that. Apparently not so easy in Illinois? You seem to think so but these other answers not so.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is emission testing in certain counties...you just need to check which counties require them. Most that surround Chicago (Crook county) do have emission testing.
I can't take it to a state inspection station. Are there garages like the first response says that I can have it done at?

·
Registered
242 Posts
In terms of emission stations, no they are specific locations set up by the county or state I believe.

But there are loopholes, if you have a "classic" or sh"showcar" you can get a exemption.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
I can't take it to a state inspection station. Are there garages like the first response says that I can have it done at?
If you car does not have a salvage title, then you do not need a state inspection sticker when bringing it in that I am aware of. Like I mentioned there is emission testing in certain counties, and you would need to get the check engine light taken care of before you had an emissions test.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you car does not have a salvage title, then you do not need a state inspection sticker when bringing it in that I am aware of. Like I mentioned there is emission testing in certain counties, and you would need to get the check engine light taken care of before you had an emissions test.
Just to be clear, if the check engine light is not on they will not check emmissions?

·
Registered
292 Posts
There is no state inspection sticker. As mentioned above, if you live in the counties surrounding Chicago, they check emissions. As for the rest of us, no stickers, no inspections, no nothing.

Matt

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Just to be clear, if the check engine light is not on they will not check emmissions?
they plug into the obd 2 port and check it that way no matter what lights are on or not. if it is off because of a tune, they will know. obd2 readiness codes wont work. you will fail. its just cook county tho. my parents live in a different county my car is registered there so i dont have to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
and its not that easy to get an exemption

·
Lost Senior Member
4,174 Posts
My daughter lives in southern Il. and doesn't have to get inspections on her car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts