Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 94 Viper do the valves ever need to be adjusted or are the lifters always supposed to compensate for any play? Lately while driving at low speeds and mid rpms I am hearing a light tick coming from the lifters. I hope that it is not a bent pushrod /images/graemlins/sad

· Registered
530 Posts
RSVIPER said:
On my 94 Viper do the valves ever need to be adjusted or are the lifters always supposed to compensate for any play? Lately while driving at low speeds and mid rpms I am hearing a light tick coming from the lifters. I hope that it is not a bent pushrod /images/graemlins/sad
Unless you have aftermarket rocker arms there is no way to adjust them. The hydraulic lifters are supposed to adjust everything. If your a bit low on oil they may clack a bit. Did you overrev the motor recently? What makes you think it's a bent pushrod?

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mxblue23 said:
RSVIPER said:
Unless you have aftermarket rocker arms there is no way to adjust them. The hydraulic lifters are supposed to adjust everything. If your a bit low on oil they may clack a bit. Did you overrev the motor recently? What makes you think it's a bent pushrod?
Oil level and oil pressure is fine. I have not over reved the motor since I have owned the car(2 yrs), I just do not think that the lifters should be making that noise. I have had the same thing happen on other cars and usually a lifter has collapsed or a push rod was slightly bent. Does anyone else hear a slight tick from their Viper?

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
XS TORQ said:
My 94 has the noisiest valvetrain known to man. Get headers and full exhaust, and you can't hear it as much (or turn up the stereo).
It gets even worse w/ T&D's....
That makes me feel a little better because my car is fairly loud with the aftermarket exaust and I can still hear it a lttle bit.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
How's the power? I had a bad plug wire on my '94 and it was only running on 9 cylinders. Still felt like it had good power, but just not quite right. Found a bad plug wire and that fixed the tic I had (common). Also has it always been like this or something that has just gotten worse? The injectors are also quite noisy (common). One other thing, I have never had it happen to me on my Snake, but it could also be an exhaust gasket(not common). How many miles on your Snake?

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LETHAL GTS said:
How's the power? I had a bad plug wire on my '94 and it was only running on 9 cylinders. Still felt like it had good power, but just not quite right. Found a bad plug wire and that fixed the tic I had (common). Also has it always been like this or something that has just gotten worse? The injectors are also quite noisy (common). One other thing, I have never had it happen to me on my Snake, but it could also be an exhaust gasket(not common). How many miles on your Snake?
Power is great, I put new plug wires on last winter and it still has the noise. I never thought about the injectors, I cannot hear anything at idle it becomes apparent when driving in town where the sound can bounce off of houses/buildings or other objects. The car has 25K on it, do the injectors sound like a ticking lifter?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.