Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was going to pull a valve cover and man, I just know I'll fumble at least one of those screws.

I've looked around and have seen no evidence of "long" bolts. I lived by them on my BBC stuff and it wasn't that big a deal if I dropped one. Dropping one on Viper and I better break out my borescope...

Don't have to have the wings either - could simply be a long bolt with a hex or allen head. (I don't think wings would clear the front and rear tight locations.)

I do know they EDIT: (long wing nut bolts) tend to vibrate and loosen.

Thoughts?

·
Landscaping Professional
14,065 Posts
I've never had problems with my valve covers loosening in 25 years of ownership. Gaskets are very sturdy to begin with, but they are very inexpensive to replace.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never had problems with my valve covers loosening in 25 years of ownership. Gaskets are very sturdy to begin with, but they are very inexpensive to replace.
My bad! I meant to say the long wing nut bolts come loose because they vibrate (I edited the original post to clarify.)

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Buy an electric car... No more worries.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am considering electric. 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. Launch every time I pull out. No noise, no cops.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No soul, no stick, no fun.
After my first ride in a "launch" roller coaster at Hershey Park, I immediately realized those G's were all that mattered. If you liked the G's, the traditional way was to get into dragsters which are totally impractical and hard core. Now you can do it with an electric grocery getter. Who would have thought.

Speaking of "no soul," Pikes Peak electric cars are pretty much an abomination however the choice of "siren noise" made by these owners goes so far beyond "no soul" it's blasphemous. Even a European cop car/ambulance siren would have some coolness. But no, they choose some piezo Beep Boop Beep Boop that makes me want to vomit.

·
Sexist
44,232 Posts
To each their own. Roller coasters have bored me since tracking my GTS.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
To each their own. Roller coasters have bored me since tracking my GTS.
I agree that roller coasters don't do it for me - they just try to pop my head off. But LAUNCH coasters is another thing entirely. Have you tried them?

I was in my 50's before I experienced one and it scratched that itch I'd been trying to scratch in cars. Like a dumping clutch in street racer, in the woods, with M&H 7" cheaters on concrete and 4.89 gears and leaving maybe 2' of tire. Power shifting 2nd felt like braking the car body.

One other comment: SHIFTER KARTS. Totally shame a sports car with regard to quickness in every direction, especially turn-in. I did a school and was the most pumped in my lifetime (50 years old) over anything on wheels.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,065 Posts
I was working on my 125 shifter kart this weekend!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was working on my 125 shifter kart this weekend!
Man I envy you! If I had discovered karts when I was young, I'd have gone a completely different path.

I've tried to tell young kids and adults who are still trim and fit about them, but my ravings fall on deaf ears.

I can't blame them because I would have never believed such claims myself - until I had experienced it 1st hand.

I have Doug Levin to thank for that! ( THANK YOU DOUG! ) I drove my new 2000 GTS w/90 miles on it from Pittsburgh to FL starting in a snow storm. Was planning on 2 weeks in FL but spent 9. Went to visit Doug. He said I had to do the shifter school thing that was in a fw days which I did.

Totally blew my mind, BUT NOT the centrifugal clutch karts. BORING. Once there was a shifter, it was 110% adrenaline, horns came out my forehead, and I was able to levitate w/feet 2" off ground, for at least 15 min after a session. The full body trembling was very nice. LOL

Then Sebring. Daytona. Bike Week. Had the one perfect day of my life: Tennis, Pool, Viper, Beef Wellington (for first time), Sex. I confess, when I realized it, it was sort of depressing. What do you do for an encore? Repeats don't cut it. LOL

·
Sexist
44,232 Posts
Man I envy you! If I had discovered karts when I was young, I'd have gone a completely different path.
+1 on the shifter karts. Same here, if the Viper would have never come along I'd be in a kart or late model stock cars.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
+1 on the shifter karts. Same here, if the Viper would have never come along I'd be in a kart or late model stock cars.
Have you ever tried off-road rally driving? I got a ride with a pro driver and the first thing he said to me was, "Hold your arms tightly on you chest so you don't break an arm on the roll cage." Car did things I thought not possible. I got a finer appreciation (negative) of the paving of Pikes Peak.

Dirt track might be fun, but the local tracks can be very clique-ish.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,065 Posts
I discovered sprint karts in my late 40's. I had done far less Viper track time a bit before that due to budget. About a year later, I went to a Viper Days time trial at Texas World and within 1 session, I was absolutely 100% back on my big car game. That's been over 11 years ago and I'm now 61, heading to a Viper Days Reunion at Road America next month. Although I'm leaner than I've been in 25 years, I need my wind and reflexes at full capacity when I hit that track again. It costs next to nothing to let it sit in the garage waiting for the next time out.
DSCN3456.JPG

Reactions: Brickhead

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice looking Kart. Doug told me about was Racer's Country Club in North Miami. Members had 3 options: 1) kart at home, 2) kart at track, or 3) kart at track AND they keep it prepped and maintenanced so you just show up and dive! I liked #3!

Back then I had tons of money and seeing how I could beat a new GTS like a rented mule after just a day of shifter class, I was going to join, option #3, drive karts every day for 3 months, and then enter the Virginia City Hill Climb and kick butt.

But then life happened...

·
Landscaping Professional
14,065 Posts
Both my karts are rolling under their own power again. Fresh fuel & hoses, brake caliper overhauls, alignments. Now for a thorough wash job and new plastics for the shifter!
20210726_202308.jpg

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Both my karts are rolling under their own power again. Fresh fuel & hoses, brake caliper overhauls, alignments. Now for a thorough wash job and new plastics for the shifter! View attachment 151143
Man, you're livin my dream! How far is the nearest shifter kart track? Do they have rentals/schools? I have a 34 year old tuner friend who is slim enough and looks its Slim Pickens near the Pittsburgh area.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,065 Posts
4 miles away!

Reactions: Squid

·
Landscaping Professional
14,065 Posts
My TonyKart TAG (on board starter, centrifugal clutch) was already on the stand, so I rolled it into the truck and headed for the track. It's a race night but I just wanted to get my sea legs again and turned about 25 laps over 4 sessions and packed up. Warm and humid, with heat index up to 109 and I was drenched. The track is bumpy and it beats you down, but it's a great cardio and upper body workout. Gonna be sore tomorrow!

Reactions: Brickhead
1 - 20 of 23 Posts