Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new to the list, and don't know a great deal about Vipers. I live and work in Japan, and have been intrigued by a black supercharged 94-ish Viper on auction. Here's the URL. (Don't worry too much about the garbage where words should be - you won't be able to read them unless you have a Japanese system - or maybe try Altavista translations?)

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b31985459

Cars here generally fall in value ridiculously as they get old, with the exception of a number of cult cars. Mid 90's Vipers here generally sell for around 5-6 million yen, or $40-50,000. Expensive you may say.
Anyway, the owner of this car claims it cost $300,000 US to build, which sounds unlikely. He may well have paid that, especially at the end of the bubble here, when a foreign car was (is?) a status symbol, and was priced accordingly.
The car has travelled 12,000 kms, and the current highest bid, with no reserve, is about $33,000 US. (This could be way different by the time you read this, due to the nature of auctions.)
S0 - What's it worth?? I'm sure all of you are way more informed than I, and (hopefully?) might be able to make something from the pictures. Still four days left on the auction. Should I make an effort to join the fold with this car, and if so, what is a reasonable price?
TIA,
Sorry for the uninformed content.
Cheers,
Poruka :newbie:

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
OK, nice car... but where's the supercharger? I still see smooth tubes and an airbox.

Gerald

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
ok now I see it. very strange system. Probably one of a kind. I'm sure if it breaks down your poop outta luck!

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
Depending on what it had done $30K is NOT unlikely even in today's or yesterday's market, but $300K? Bullshit. Gen I vipers are notorious for blowing head gaskets, I dont know what was done on this one to alleviate that problem. Also that SC system looks unlike any one I have seen stateside. I cant say anything about the quality or the knowledgebase of the tuner. I would highly doubt that the guy has much knowledge in vipers being that there cant be more than a handful over there. Moreover the car is using stock injectors, indicating it cant be making a whole lot over 600 rwhp, and even then its pushing hte limits of the stock system. I would say its worth marginally more than a stock good condition Gen I. Maybe a high 30K?

·
You mean Shenanigans
4,979 Posts
I'm not familiar with that supercharger layout so I would speculate that it is either a completely custom setup or is a kit offered by a company no longer in business. If the car was a verified Heffner or DLM car I would say go for it. Given the temperment of a highly modified car, I would tend to stay away from one of any unknown history or with work done from a company you cannot readily contact. I imagine the car is a very rare offering in Japan, but I would pass on this car and look for a nice clean stock Viper. This way you can be sure it is not going to cause you any problems later on due to unknown issues caused by modification.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
You may want to contact Japan's branch of the Viper Club of America to have someone local check it out.

Japan VCA website: www1.sphere.ne.jp/viper

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your advice/comments everybody . Greatly appreciated. Seems the wise thing to do would be pass on it. Current bid is around $37G anyway - it'll probably go higher -
I think the set up probably is custom - and as is often the case, I suspect some guy probably did pay w-a-y to much for it in the beginning. As Matt noted, pretty rare here, so the price seems to be getting inflated. I was kinda hoping somebody would say it was a verified, ultra-rare monster - yeah - in my dreams, right?
Thanks also for the Japanese link. I'll see what I can dig up there.
Have a good week guys.
Cheers
99 Evo6
99 R34 GT-R V spec
Serious Viper Wannabe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.