Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roof and racers,

As we go forward and the series grows, I think we need to address vehicle weight. Pushing the cars faster and faster, people will begin to look to weight savings. In an effort to keep the cars "street" cars, I think we should have a minimum weight. I would hate to see the cars begin to get stripped in order to reduce weight. Because as soon as that happens, others will be forced into doing the same thing to remain competitive.

What do you guys feel is a fair weight, including driver? I would think 3400 pounds, although I bet most cars show up at much more than this.

Does this sound like something that should be looked into? I think it would be good for the series.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
so you want to limit weight reductions?

isn't dry weight 3460 lbs?

poor ward must be pushing 2 tons before it is all said and done./images/graemlins/laughing.gif and that is with the back seat out of the car.

I personally think someone needs to look into getting the available power to the ground more effectively. What is out there for the cars other than the drag shocks and now the AEM traction control? Not much else is there?

Can you honestly leave as hard as you want to at this point and not worry about breaking the tires loose?

and other than going with a bunch of cf stuff, I don't think much can be stripped or gutted from the car to drop the 400 lbs most would need to drop to come in at the minimum weight with driver and fuel.

Maybe it is because I am not in a record setting position, but I just can't see many worrying about gutting out these cars, but who knows.

John

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
what about the back glass in a GTS? has anyone replaced it with a lighter weight material?

It just seems so far traction/weight "transfer" has hendered the viper more than actual weight, but I have always agreed weight savings is as good/equal to adding power. simple physics. that is why I stay around a stealty buck 75.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
A lot of weight can be taken out and the car retain full street functionality - but the cost is horrendus unless you are a high tech racing yacht builder.... they have the access to the best carbon fibers and the best skill in using it... Formula One etc has relied heavily on the racing yachting industry (like Americas Cup) to develop cutting edge product they can use... and whatever you can buy will be 5 years old technology unless you have VERY INSIDE connections :nod:

I bought a kevlar hood for my old Mopar A-body from a guy "in the boat trade" who took 900lb out of his Dodge Dart without losing a single street feature or creature comfort... the car not only was very light, it was MUCH stiffer and stronger.... for him it was a labor of love, but for someone having to buy that kind of tech - it'd be HUGE due to the labor and material content.

Weight limits are easy to police - but if a 2900lb Viper Turbo turned up with air con, stereo, full upholstery and carpet - it'd seem a shame to turn them away /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Chad those are good Questions or concerns,

coming into this race, I wasn't sure of the progress or the interest, but I believe there is a place for Viper Drag Racing at a true Race level (Viper Style) I just dont have the Racing Knowledge to create the rules and manage them.

If some people would take some time we could work together and put a set of actual rules on paper and build and tune as we continue to progress. I just can't do it on my own for lack of time and even more than that I have no Idea were to really begin.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dr Roof said:
Chad those are good Questions or concerns,

coming into this race, I wasn't sure of the progress or the interest, but I believe there is a place for Viper Drag Racing at a true Race level (Viper Style) I just dont have the Racing Knowledge to create the rules and manage them.

If some people would take some time we could work together and put a set of actual rules on paper and build and tune as we continue to progress. I just can't do it on my own for lack of time and even more than that I have no Idea were to really begin.
Fair enough. I'm sure we can come up with something to preserve the intent of the series while making it more fun and SAFE for everyone involved.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
As someone who has spent a bit of time in pitlane and sponsord many racers over the years - can I make a comment about rules etc...

invariably as sanctioning bodies become bigger and more popular - they become more political. If big business starts getting involved they want a return on their investment, if they are "in the industry" they want their products endorsed and given favorable treatment in the rules, the racers are the biggest whiners of all, if they had it their way - every racer but them would drive a clone, while theirs would have a secret no one else could find, but if another racer gets caught with something no one else has thought of - it gets banned....

without arguing over the rights and wrongs - just write this into any policy book for any future V10 Sanctioning Body (as in time you never know how big it may get - maybe expanding beyond the Viper)....

here's the pledge to consider:

ALWAYS leave room for the innovators! From 200-3000+hp - make sure there is at least one class where innovators can come and race what they brung.. long as it passes common sense safety requirements.... because the biggest blockage in real innovation today is corporate sponsorship.... keep a class out of their claws, and you'll see some funny ideas but some huge and ingenious break-throughs too... just running outlaw parts alone will drop records!

you are at grass roots and the innovators have very few places they can go - perfect time to write a constitution up. :thumb:

·
FLORIDA GATOR POACHER
2,546 Posts
Post removed.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I take that to mean your car with Scott in it weighs less than 3400. I'm impressed. I wasn't talking about you you know, just bring up a concern of mine that others may also share. I have no agenda and do not suggest anything changes this season.

·
FLORIDA GATOR POACHER
2,546 Posts
Post removed.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
i know mine is over 3400lbs. with my ass in it and the case of PBR in the trunk next to the four nitrous bottles, LOL

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
sounds like this could get real complicated. just tell me when and where the hell the race is and I will be there....as long as I pass inspection.

WAR I HAVE THE WORLD RECORD FOR THE FASTEST SAPPHIRE/COGNAC RT/10 WEIGHING 3697 LBS FROM MS WITH HEFFNER HEADS, COMP CAM, OEM HOOD, SPARE TIRE, STOCK TRANNY AND REAR END, FLOOR MATS, MGW SHIFTER, TNT NITROUS, MAGNECOR WIRES, 37 CENTS IN THE ASHTRAY AND 1 PURNER WITH CURB RASH ON THE RIGHT REAR.

·
Vipers should be DRIVEN !
4,110 Posts
When I ran last night my 9.71 pass, it was a sanctioned raced and I had do a full tech which I passed.....I cut no corners when it comes to my safety. I am married and have 2 boys. As part of tech I had to weigh in, which I kept a copy of. With over 3/4 of tank on board, I weighed 1,774 lbs on front axle and 1,864 lbs on the rear axle or a combined total of 3,638lbs of which I had 235 lbs 48 year old ass combined into that total.

Cudaman:flag:

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Cudaman said:
John are you carry a few bags of concrete because my sapphire RT/10 has a S/C(extra lbs), plus I KNOW I have you covered in the weight department.

Cuda3x9er:flag:

hmmmmmmmmmmmm............maybe I need to take that damn spare out./images/graemlins/laughing.gif

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.