Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a recent dyno, a bottle of Nitrous was pointed at the front of my car (about 4 feet in front) and as the pull was made, a 50 shot or so of the gas was fogged towards the front fascia and maintained during the entire 4th gear pull. This super cool air caused the car to gain an extra 100 or so RWHP on a nearly back to back dyno run with the exact same settings. This was all done on my DLM car, so we're talking about a 100 RWHP gain on a supercharged car.

So I have a question about this: If a 50 shot of N20 pointed at the front of my car translated into 100 RWHP by cooling down the air the car was using, why does it gain more than if that 50 shot were just injected into the combustion chamber?

What are your thoughts about rigging something up like that that could simulate this under WOT in 2nd or higher gears? Would this have the same effect as running the car WOT on a very, very cold day?

What are the differences/advantages/disadvantages of something like this over just running direct port nitrous or intake foggers?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
A 50 shot is a "50 shot on a naturally aspirated car." That is the claim. When you deal with forced induction, the amout of power that is gained multiplies. For instance if you were to blast a 35 shot of N20 into a twin turbo viper, it will actually make much higher than that (75 to 85 hp more).

The claims of "shots" are on naturally aspirated environments only.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so what about using the Nitrous as an external cooler vs. shooting it into the engine via standard nitrous set ups?

What about blowing it right on an intercooler before a drag run and freezing it? What kinds of gains can be expected? I assume somebody on here has tried this before?

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, that is the one I saw as well. Still doesn't answer my question though. I also see on their site that they cliam up to 50 hp, but that was based off a turbo honda. I assume just like Nitrous injection, the more HP your car has to start with, the more of a gain you will see.

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
Roll Model...you are 100% correct. The reason for this is because the multiple "atmospheric pressure" IE: 14.7psi is "normal" So when you run an extra 14psi of boost your really at 28.7psi...almost double. This is why your making almost double the power, with a 50 shot of N2O

Manny, How much boost are you running? Is it about 15psi right???

What mods did you have to do to get 783rwhp...n/a...????

Hope that helped.

Tanked.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made 883 RWHP on 12 pounds of boost. I made 863 RWHP here in Cali when I added cats. Right now I am mysteriously down on power (between 100 and 130 RWHP depending on the dyno pull), so it is most likely my exhaust set up, and I'll hopefully know this week when I pull the exhaust and redyno to exclude/include the exhaust as the culprit of the power loss. My belt seems mighty tight, but I'll probably tighten it down a tad bit more, run another dyno to see if the numbers change, and then continue on until I figure out what is causing it. The car is fast as all hell right now as is, but lost HP is lost HP, and it sucks.

Back to my original question above --- any answers? What would happen if one were blowing nitrous in the front fascia where a lot of the air gets pulled into the supercharger during a 10 second drag run -- would the car gain a ton of power for those 10 seconds without any harmful side effecs and without having to do anything else to the car?

·
Registered
19,175 Posts
Manny_C said:
During a recent dyno, a bottle of Nitrous was pointed at the front of my car (about 4 feet in front) and as the pull was made, a 50 shot or so of the gas was fogged towards the front fascia and maintained during the entire 4th gear pull. This super cool air caused the car to gain an extra 100 or so RWHP on a nearly back to back dyno run with the exact same settings. This was all done on my DLM car, so we're talking about a 100 RWHP gain on a supercharged car.

So I have a question about this: If a 50 shot of N20 pointed at the front of my car translated into 100 RWHP by cooling down the air the car was using, why does it gain more than if that 50 shot were just injected into the combustion chamber?

What are your thoughts about rigging something up like that that could simulate this under WOT in 2nd or higher gears? Would this have the same effect as running the car WOT on a very, very cold day?

What are the differences/advantages/disadvantages of something like this over just running direct port nitrous or intake foggers?
Does this lean it out to a point where it is dangerous? If not , then is sounds like easy HP. How was your A/F on the NOS pull?

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
Blowing nitrous (an explosive gas under pressure) directly on an intercooler in an open environment with an engine seems a little extreme and dangerous to me. Compressed CO2 is cold and non-flammable, may be worth a try...

I suppose fogging the smooth tubes might be a good alternative because it's at the point of entry to the intake (and you don't have nitrous soaking the filters.

If the system was supercharged, I think the best point may be right before the intercooler (when the air has been heated and compressed). Of course the pipe would be pressurized, you'd have to come up with some good fittings and all that junk. I couldn't see any benefit by fogging the system before the supercharger, as air is heated as it comes out, and I any supercharger you'd stick on a snake probably could handle even the hottest of intake air.

·
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten
18,149 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Kiaser said:
Blowing nitrous ( an explosive gas under pressure ) directly on an intercooler in an open environment with an engine seems a little extreme and dangerous to me.
Nitrous, when in the bottle is NOT a gas. It is in a liquid form. That is why a nitrous bottle must be tilted to get the optimum performance out of it. There is a straw that goes down into the bottom of the bottle picking up the nitrous. And I dont believe nitrous is explosive...it is an oxidizer only.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn... no answers to my questions. :-(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Manny, there are no ill effects on spraying nitrous on the IC, just watch your AF ratio(it may lean out) and your injector duty cycle as the car will be making more power Id much rather get the power from spraying it ON the IC rather then IN the engibne due to the drastic rise in cylinder pressure(IE wear on parts) that will occur with mixing bottle and boost.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So which Viper guys at the track are spraying nitrous on their IC? I heard at least one tuner does it.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
When using one of the intercooler sprays, just use CO2. It's just as cool as N20 and MUCH cheaper. Any paintball store can fill a 15lb bottle for under $10.

N20 adds power in more ways then just being an oxidizer. As it is atomized in with the fuel and air, the Nitrogen cools the air charge. As it's compressed in the cylinder, the oxygen then makes the raw fuel burn more intensely.

Jetting for a nitrous system is not set for forced induction systems. A 50 shot rating is for a N/A engine. When combined with a blower, I'd imagine that the cooling effect of the Nitrogen essentially makes for a larger intercooler. Instead of ramming in 200 degree air, you're pushing 60~70 degree air plus added oxygen.

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
Rollmodel - Thanks for the info, I guess I've always had bad information shot my way when it comes to nitrous. Good to finally get the right stuff...

Manny - It seems doubtful to me that mimicing spraying nitrous to the front fascia would gain more power than spraying nitrous once past the filters (or all the way down the line into the chamber). The only difference would be that less nitrous would be making it to the engine because it would have the pass through the filters (and some would hit the radiator if you had foggers spraying into the fascia). Surely cooling the radiator down wouldn't be the cause of gain because you don't see the increase of power you are talking about (100rwhp) just cause it's cold outside. I'm not sure what kind of affects nitrous would have on the filters either, so I can't comment if that would be a disadvantage. But fogging before the filters would also mean it would be mixed with the outside air/temperature a bit longer than spraying internally, very minimal, but could be considered a disadvantage.

·
Registered
502 Posts
lots of guys i know why run turbos spray nitrous into the intercooler to cool temps...it works very well...im sure it would work fine on yours as well...i think spraying into the smooth tubes would work just as good....give it a try...it CANT hurt...

Anthony

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
Would physical properties of nitrous be changed dramatically if it was coming from a compressed bottle into compressed air (introduced after the supercharger) compared to being released into uncompressed air (before the supercharger)? Or possibly would a supercharger take nicely to being cooled?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Kiaser said:
Would physical properties of nitrous be changed dramatically if it was coming from a compressed bottle into compressed air (introduced after the supercharger) compared to being released into uncompressed air (before the supercharger)? Or possibly would a supercharger take nicely to being cooled?
The compressed air from the blower is only ~8psi (What are you running Manny?) where as nitrous is stored in the bottle at 1000+psi. There would be no reason to spray before the blower because it's the blower that heats the air. Point would be to cool it after it's been compressed. :thumb:

·
Registered
75 Posts
The compressed air from the blower is only ~8psi (What are you running Manny?) where as nitrous is stored in the bottle at 1000+psi. There would be no reason to spray before the blower because it's the blower that heats the air. Point would be to cool it after it's been compressed. :thumb: [/quote]

with all due respect, I sprayed before the blower. it also cools the blower, less heat.. and a 50 shot acts like a 100 shot! when sprayed before the blower. I've seen this done plenty of times.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.