Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you 700+ guys doing for fuel pumps? I have heard its a bitch "cracking the can" to get to the pump. After all that, what will it take to replace OEM pump. I am going to have an external pressure regular so that is not a concern.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,047 Posts
GEN 1 FUEL SYSTEMS UPGRADES ARE A PAIN IN THE A$$. THE PUMP AND SENDING UNITS ARE ALL DIFFERENT THAN GEN 2 & 3. ACCESSING THE FUEL CELL IS A PROJECT ALL BY ITSELF.

IF YOU HAVE A GOOD SHOP DOING YOUR TURBO PROJECT, THEN THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO PROVIDE A FUEL SYSTEM TO HANDLE THE POWER.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will if I want, but I am putting a new carbon fiber clutch and Al flywheel in this weekend, the cars going to be on the lift anyways so I thought I would tacke the fuel pump too. I have a body ship and I know that you have to drill the rivits and remove the body panel to get the filler tube out. That is not really my main concern. I am wondering what's it gonna take to mount a new high flow pump in the tank. (also what flow will be required to support 700+ hp) My tuner was not entirely convicned we would need to upgrade the pump as he thought the stock system could support 750HP. I don't want to take that chance. (I am not asking you to give up any trade secretes John, just opinions if you don't want to give them I'll understand)

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
dansauto said:
They will if I want, but I am putting a new carbon fiber clutch and Al flywheel in this weekend, the cars going to be on the lift anyways so I thought I would tacke the fuel pump too. I have a body ship and I know that you have to drill the rivits and remove the body panel to get the filler tube out. That is not really my main concern. I am wondering what's it gonna take to mount a new high flow pump in the tank. (also what flow will be required to support 700+ hp) My tuner was not entirely convicned we would need to upgrade the pump as he thought the stock system could support 750HP. I don't want to take that chance. (I am not asking you to give up any trade secretes John, just opinions if you don't want to give them I'll understand)
All of us are running upgraded fuel pumps. You may want to question the knowledgebase and viper related qualifications of your tuner if he thinks he can push 750RWHP through the stock pump. I do know how mine is done, however I think I would be doing Jason Heffner a huge disservice if I were to release his trade secrets on the internet.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,047 Posts
The stock Gen 1 pump is only good for 550 rw hp. A larger capacity pump is required but it only part of a complete system that addresses fuel feed line sizing, return line sizing, fuel rail sizing, injector sizing and pressure regulator. If you upgrade one item, then you need to upgrade everything to get the desired results.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
makes sense, I figured the stock fuel system was only good to around 500, seems I was correct.

·
Registered
416 Posts
What about Gen II? At what point would I need to change my fuel pump?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,047 Posts
GTS, the stock fuel pump should be fine up to 600 rw hp. If you are running a wet NOS system of any kind, then I suggest a fuel pump upgrade for any power level.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got some information from my tuner as well as privite emails, (thanks you know who you are!!) I am going to use a Aeromotive pump, filter and regulaor. Running new 1/2" lines to and from the tank. Split the lines and report the intake for the new input and return, back to the regulator and to the tank. I am going to keep the same sending unit and fab a sump to the tank bottom for feed, gut the OEM pump and retap the top for the return. This should support 1000 crank Hp. Looks lie the hardest part will be taking the tank out and fabricating a sump kit to the bottom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts