Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bored so I figured I'd drop the half-shafts and replace all the U-Joints in my Unitrax 800HP half-shafts. I had a bad boot on one so I pulled the boot, slid the assembly apart, and wala...the splines on the one are twisted just a bit near the "full compression" end of the splines. Crap. Ordered new boot (Spicer 231841) but I do not think anything can be done about the spline situation. SO I know what I should do....but what I think I'll do is just get the new parts installed and reassemble. I think its been this way for many years...but crap. No vibrations or anything out of the ordinary driving. I'd REALLY love to upgrade to the CV joint system from the Driveshaft SHop.... 1996-2002 Viper - Driveshaft Shop
but I think my Mrs. might question that purchase. I could always say parts are not available to repair and I have no choice...its all about safety and my life...ya know.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the spline is available Spicer 3-53-1121 Midship for 3.5" tubing. I think I'm going to get parts and have a half shalf fabricated.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the weld yoke for the differential end is Spicer 3-28-427 1350 series. For the 7" 3.5" steel tubing I'm all in for around $200.00....spline, weld yoke, and tubing to connect them. The slip spline is OK. I think these driveshaft places make big $$$ on these things. Mostly just off the shelf stuff that isn't really that expensive.

Reactions: GTS Dean

·
Landscaping Professional
14,157 Posts
Easy-peasy repair for any driveline shop. Those half shafts will keep on rockin' for you.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually just "sucessfully" cut all the way around at the weld joint on the original and surprisingly, it simply slid out of the end of the tube. Hummm. Yeah nothing very technical. I could actually just use the existing tube and weld the new splined hub back in like the original...making sure everything is square and no run-out. These aren't balanced by the way. Interesting doing the research on "parts" and so forth. Even the slip joint is available for a tad over $100.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have DSS's CV shafts on the gen 3 . Very nice pieces.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have DSS CV axles in my Gen II. I bought them used, they came from a TT half mile car that was being parted out. They really are nicely built pieces but the price of a new pair is tough to stomach. If you have some half shaft safety loops (which you should) you could always just keep repairing the Unitrax until they self destruct so badly that repairing them isn't economical. THEN, buy the DSS axles. 😁

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will be welding up the new half shaft tomorrow. .083 x 3.5" driveshaft tubing arrived precisely cut @ 7" length. FYI just a bit thinner thickness than the Unitrax. BUT Unitrax machines the ID down to .083 about 1/2 in each end so the 3.5 x .083 hubs can be pressed in. Pressed in the weld-on u joint carrier and splined hub. Run-out was negligible on my dial indicator. Looks really nice. I guess I'll take some pics at some point. Knowing what I now know, lots of options for fabricating different half shaft designs...not saying the Unitrax design is bad, but one can go with some different tubing thicknesses and sizes if you don't want those big old heavy 3.5" tubing that they use.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All done and reinstalled. Here are some reference pics....and my new side sills I fabricated. You can see the twisted spline, a side by side comparison of the Unitrax and my replacement, the half shaft before welding, and what not...the new side sill that I had a pic of.

Attachments

Reactions: 99RT10&GTS
1 - 11 of 11 Posts