Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 93 (10,500 miles) is starting to hesitate when it's cold. Is it time for plugs & wires? It seems they should last longer than 10,000 miles but perhaps 10 years has taken it's toll?

Also, should I go ahead and replace the cap and rotor at the same time?

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Cripes man! After 10 years, its all got to go. Next thing, you'll tell us you still have the original Pilot XGTZ or whatever the hell they were.

I'd change the battery, plugs, and wires. In general, the stock plugs/wires only last 10-15K or so before its "recommended" that you change them. You should make sure your throttle bodies are sync'd too, IIRC thats a common problem on the older cars.

Oh, and drive your car more. I'm just about at 30K on my '99.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm doing my best to rack up the miles. I bought it about three months ago and have put almost 5000 miles on it. I'll catch you by spring.

p.s. It does still have the original rubber. I've been doing everything I can to burn as much of the rear tires up as possible so I will be forced to replace them. Won't be long...

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Those tires are rock hard by now, good luck wearing them down to nothin. I'd just do one hellacious parking lot smoke fest and call it a day. Those things are so hard by now its gotta be like driving around on ice.

Oh yeah, and what Chuck said, what "cap and rotor"!

·
Sexist
44,111 Posts
Ok Tim, I see you're new so we'll be gentle. In the Alley you need skin like armor.

You're probably "old school" like many of us. New cars don't have rotors and caps anymore. At least I haven't seen any. Just change your plugs and wires. Call Chuck Tator for the wires. Your Viper will run like new.

Dump those original tires before they toss you into a curb or light pole. They weren't very good to begin with and they only get worse with age. The new Pilots are pretty good and your Viper will handle loads better.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Yeah Tim, I'll be over later with some beers and my timing light and we'll get her all tuned up for ya!

/images/graemlins/laughing.gif Welcome aboard!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts