Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so like my username says it's time to start the midlife crisis in style. I'm looking at either a late '90s to early 2000s RT10 versus GTS. What I want to know is if the GTS is truly worth the extra price. What are the advantages to it, do I have to worry about security more so with the RT-10 versus a GTS.

Most of you guys pay for storage or do you just use your standard garage? Do you need to do extra security to your house in order to keep things safe? When you take it out, do you need wheel locks or anything like that try to keep it safe or do you need to take out something like a particular fuse or parts to make it more difficult to steal?

Is there a national group that I can hire to perform a pre-purchase inspection at the dealer where are the car is being sold? What are usually the things I need to look out for that may need to be replaced? How usable is either model for long distance road trips? How bad are maintenance items like clutch replacements? If my driveway has a slight curb, am I going to need to get a ramp for it? Any advice on insurance companies to go with would be appreciated. Any other advice would be appreciated.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,100 Posts
GTS is easier to wash. If you have thinning hair, you don't have to wear a hat. It's easier to take on a weekend trip.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I love convertibles since my last car which was s2000. So I chose RT/10 and the price obviously. It came with the hard top which isn't too difficult to remove if you have a helper.

I prefer the body lines of a GTS. It also fits a golf bag in the back. Maybe two? RT/10 not a chance. It's got zero space back there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Much of this is personal opinion. What are your opinions?

Where do you live? Do people steal things from your cars/garage regularly? This is what insurance is for. Grundy or Hagerty.

The car is low, but who knows what your driveway looks like.

Clutch replacement is 1500-2500 depending on who does it. Most parts on these cars are reasonable. Normal maintenance is not crazy. Road trips are like any very low, small sports car.

The GTS is one of the best looking cars ever made.

hope that helps

·
Landscaping Professional
14,100 Posts
I prefer the body lines of a GTS. It also fits a golf bag in the back. Maybe two? RT/10 not a chance. It's got zero space back there.
Iaccoca told Bob Lutz the RT/10 had to have room for golf clubs. It will, but not a large bag, or with windows, toupee, and back glass stowed too.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
You can fit a set of clubs in/on any vehicle if you want to play bad enough. Even motorcycles. Only transportation I owned soooo

Reactions: Monopoly

·
Premium Member
20,172 Posts
A lot of great advice, but better would be buy one of each.

• Helpful
Reactions: 8.0L>1.8T

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lots of good responses! I appreciate everyone's input. The community I live in is near hey city that has a reputation for car theft and crime but thankfully I don't live in that city as I'm not stupid enough to drive the car in such a city. The community seems to be growing and the property values are going up along with it at a faster rate than some other communities in the area. On my block, One of the recent neighbors that moved in owns a classic super Bee, and I think he has a relative that has a final gen Viper that I've seen over there a few times. Before that there was a person that had a third gen Viper that lived in our subdivision. So I guess it's pretty safe. We've never had anything stolen to date in the over 10 years we've lived here though until recently we've never had anything all that impressive. Mostly just used sedans from non-prestigious divisions. We've got security system just to be safe. Our neighbors are safe and normal from what I can tell at least. The key thing is when you're driving on the interstate or from one community to the next just trying to think ahead about areas where problems could arise.

As for the driveway, it's got a bit of a curb we're able to get our sedans and our new edge mustang and out of the driveway without breaking anything. It just scrapes the lower air damp occasionally but that's it.

Between the two, I definitely prefer the looks of the GTS and the more functional element to it, I just need to have clarified in my mind that it's really going to be worth the extra money. I can afford either one but I can't afford both.

I have a new question. One of the cars I'm looking at has rear tires from 2017, but The dealer claims the front tires do not have a date on them. My understanding is that it would be necessary to replace the rear tires either in 2023 or 2024. If the front tire is truly are original, they obviously need to be replaced. Does it matter if the age of the front tires is a dramatic difference from the rear tires? I'm assuming that the front and rear tires need to be the same make and model? I know these cars are famous for being easy to lose control in and I am trying to be smart about this as I know the tires can make or break having a wreck. Also on the topic of tires, I know the rear tires are made in small batches as whether the 17 or the 18 in versions are not used on very many cars. Do the tire companies usually make a small batch run every year or once every so many years? Of them, which one is usually the best for a new driver of a car of this caliber to be driven in the rain If it happens. I know this is not a daily driver, just life happens sometimes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What tires are they? I bet there is a date code. Some models it is located on the inside wall.

Theft is everywhere. Hottest vehicles in my area are Toyota Highlander/4Runner, Lexus 350/450, Ford F-150, Land Rovers, etc… and newer models. Ones with FOBs. They’ve been found shipped overseas in Africa on used car lots. Best security system is to park a shitbox infront of your garage where your Viper is at night.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know yet on the tires. I know how to read codes on them, The issue is I haven't had a chance to see it in person as it's nearly 300 miles away from my house. I'm going off of what the dealer told me which I fully intend to verify.

Yeah this is why I'm avoiding the fob thing as long as I possibly can. It never has seemed to be a wise idea from my point of view to use a fob instead of a key. That and I don't see the point of pouring a lot of money into a daily driver That's just going to lose its value anyhow and the attractive to thieves.

I thought about doing that too about putting a car I don't care about behind it during night plus other things that I've dreamed up to boost security to the garage itself. Thankfully we have two to do the block garage tactic.

·
Sexist
45,211 Posts
Replace the tires when you can. Don't drive like an idiot and you'll have no worries about doing a dramatic TV show car flip.

Keep in mind, these cars are getting old. There will be things, little usually, sometimes big, that will need repair. But for the record, my Vipers are 98 and 97. The 98 has over 200K on it. The 97 is my tracker and has over 40K. No major surgery on either one. They are as bullet proof as one can expect a car can be.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts