Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

For those of you who drag race, what kind of Trap Speed and ET increases have you seen when going from Drag Radials to ET STREETS or SLICKS & SKINNIES?

One of you already told me that they saw 5 to 6 mph increase and half a second to 6/10ths of a second off on the ET. What were your results just from tire changes?

Also, what pressure are you running your Drag Radials at? I see posts with these all over the place, from 16 pounds up past 20 pounds. Has anybody actually run various pressures and feel quite certain that a particular tire pressure worked out much better? The guys I know run their Viper Drag Radials at 18 pounds.

-M

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I can only speak for drag radials... I run 15psi and heat them up as much as I can before launch. They run good and I've managed consistent 1.6 60ft times with an occasional 1.5x (but the x is usually a 9). Folks on slicks and skinnies often hit consistent 1.5x 60 ft times... i've even heard of 1.4 times.

So that can make a big difference.

But I won't know for sure until I run ET Streets.

JD

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Manny,

I dynoed 750RWHP and I managed 10.8 or was it 10.7 (?) at just over 138mph.

The track condition is a MAJOR factor. I remember before they prepped the track all I could do was low 130's. I remember then right before my run they stopped all action at the V10 nationals (anyone there can tell you the same) and prepped the track right before the eliminations were to take place. I had the 1st two runs pretty close together and my times dropped over 1/2 second to mid to high 10's and nearly 140 (up about 4 to 6 mph).

I think your car dyno's a high number and your HP is good, but your track conditions and aerodynamics of your body kit (Have you weighed your car yet?) combined are taking precious seconds and mph's off of your ever sought 140mph run!

Gerald

Gerald

·
Registered
863 Posts
Last month Hotrod magazine did a comparison test of the BFG's radials, ET bias plys and the new Mickey Thompson drag radials. It was a mid/low 11 second car. They ran the car with the three different tire types. This is from memory (I don't have the magazine anymore), the BFG's were a little slower then the ET's, perhaps 1-2 tenths. The new MT radials were the fastest, even better than the ET's.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Manny, I don't own a viper but have gone from drag radials to ET Streets.

Provided you are hooking well with the drag radials, ET Streets may not give you better ETs and in fact will likely give you lower trap speed. The harder radial sidewall has less drag then the softer ET Street and therefore will reduce MPH. If I recall correctly, I lost 1-2 mph.

As for ET, keep mind, many drag racers are running in Drag Radial classes running 8s and some 7s. The difference is they tend to be less consistent. This is important if you are bracket racing.

I used to run my Drag Radials in the 17-21 range depending on the track conditions. I start 21 and work down. ET Streets I run from 12-15 also starting at the high end.

Will ET streets and skinnies give you 5 tenths over drag radials? Not likely. Only if you are having hooking problems with the drag radials.

For comparison sake, my car has run 11.23 and as high as 122 MPH

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jack B said:
Last month Hotrod magazine did a comparison test of the BFG's radials, ET bias plys and the new Mickey Thompson drag radials. It was a mid/low 11 second car. They ran the car with the three different tire types. This is from memory (I don't have the magazine anymore), the BFG's were a little slower then the ET's, perhaps 1-2 tenths. The new MT radials were the fastest, even better than the ET's.
\

Jack, are these MT Drag Radials available for the Viper?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Manny, the MT ET Drag radials are slated to be made in 16 and 17 inch version but have not been made as of yet.

Currently only the one version of the 15" is available.

I was told by their tech that they would be making all the 15's then 16 then 17.

His estimate was they would begin makig 16s end of this month but I have heard projected date come and go all year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.