Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those of you that might still actually have a stock Gen1 Viper (not sure what years are considered a gen 1) what are the Quarter mile times and mph you were/are putting down, what tires were you using and what size?

·
Out to lunch
10,516 Posts
I have a stock 93. I have never taken to the track.
But I have floged it on the street a number of times against mulletwagons and such.

I find that LS1 (f-bodies) need to have a few mods to keep up.(Exaust, pullies computer,Ect)
I find that 5.0/4.6 need to have quite a few more mods(a new cobra will run on my fender wells till 90, watch out)
I find ricers need to get a fucking life.

I have a friend who runs a 2000 firebird with some mods to a consistent tune of 12.9 When we run we are usually side by side till about 80is then I pull away HARD. Oddly enough, cars that can keep up with me until 60-80 look like they hit a tree all of the sudden when we get to thoose speeds.

I also do not shift hard at all. I will race some one, get about a half leangth on him,shift and fall back a half leangth then catch up slowelly again. Once we hit 80 or better I Just walk away.

I would say a good driver in a stock gen 1 under gould conditions could hit 12.2-4.(and this has happened) I think a more average # would be 12.6-8. It says in the owners manual 12.9 @ 109.

It does not take much to put these cars into the mid 11's But the "Viper" tax is high, So parts are an ass ripping.

·
Out to lunch
10,516 Posts
BTW.....

GEN1 are RT10s from 92-95. 96 was also a gen1 but was slightly differant and rated at 415hp as opposed to 400hp.
Gen2 began in 96 with the introduction of the GTS with 450hp
the rt10 became a gen2 in 97.
Their are some suspensiondifferances as well but this is not my area.

·
Out to lunch
10,516 Posts
DreamsofViper said:
cool... so all the Gen 1's... up to 96 (RT/10's) are the ones with the head gasket problems?
I don't know what the last year of the head gasket problem was. I am going through it Right now, at 33k miles. IT is a pain in the ass, but it is not that much in the grand sceem of things(under $1500 total)

In all honesty the car runs great. it never gives me any trouble and I could easily drive it to over a 100k miles. they just are not that complicated a moter and are stoutly built. The new head gasket desighn is a permenent fix and the Weeping will not occure again.
A word of advice(not smack or a flame)
If you are having to sell what you have to buy a gen1 and if you are worried about a 1500 dollar problem(that I am Actually glad to be able to oversee myself than not know how or who did it in the past) This is not the car for you.
I have a nice gen1 but it is a toy and I had the extra CASH that If I spent it would not change my lifestyle in any way. I have other cars to that are a bit more practical.
If you have to finance a Gen1(hard to do on a car that old That will run you over 30k and you are young) you should not buy it.
If this is to be your daily drive you should not buy it.(you said you where trying to sell you bike and car for it.)
Gen1 rt10s are HOT, small, loud, chassis flexing, shitty AC, leaking in the rain, roughriding, gas guzzling beasts. They are funa s hell but not practicall if it is all you have.
Also don't forget everything cost so very nuch more.(I am going to compare to your camaro)
I don't know your age but if you are not 25 regardless of your record, If you can even get insurance it will come with a jar of vasoline to prevent anal tearing.
Your gas bill will double or triple for the same miles traveled.
Tires cost 2-3 times as much and will have to be changed 3-4 times as often.
An oil change at a jiffy lube(cheapest) is still 70-80 bucks (10qts the good stuff)
If something does break the cost of repair will be 250 to 1000% or more what it would cost in your camaro.
If you wan't it fixed right(and to keep your resale up with proper docs) you will have to use a recognized viper tech.
Their is a waiting time on these guys and parts are not ussualy instock.
Just a word of caution. I am not trying to be a dick I just think you should have a proper heads up.
WE have a fucktard on this board who thinks he can get a Viper at 17 by leveraging his game boy collecton. So you never know if someone is playing with a full deck of cards when they think the can afford something like this. I hope you can. You seem allright for the Alleys latest anal fissure /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do appreciate the fatherly advice. This will not be my only vehicle, this will be a toy for me, as is the Camaro and the bike. I am not worried about the 1500 dollar head gasket job, jsut curious to learn more about it thats all. Which yers had it, which ones dont. The tires arent gonna be a problem since I do run 300 dolalr tires currently on my Camaro (Michelin Pilot Sports) I have thought alot about this. MAybe not as much as I should but believe me, when it comes right down to it, if at the point I think i am ready to buy the car and I re-evaluate my situation and I really cant do it, then I wont, I will go with something cheaper like an 03 cobra (did I jsut say that) or a vette. I dont even plan on putting more than say... 8kmiles on the car per year, if that. I really do appreciate your advice and I will def consider all the great points you have made.

·
Registered
19,175 Posts
Buy it ASAP , and you will never regret it , it will change your life!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
viper spray said:
Buy it ASAP , and you will never regret it , it will change your life!
VS you sold your RT. When did that happen?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts