Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,557 Posts
I only had that happen ones, on my old 2000 Mountaineer. I actually just sold that truck, only vehicle out of them all I kept all those years since new in college. Lmao. Ford 5.0, except in the Explorers/Mountaineers it was a hybrid block, basically lower GT while upper was the Cobra aluminum manifold. Though they kinda gimped it with a different cam. But anyways they used steel bolts, which you can take a guess what happens over time with aluminum threads. I go to change the tstat years and yeeears ago, like 2007 I think for 1st time. I though I had the bolts slowly off. Nope, they not only seized but each (I think except 1) sheared clean off in the block. I'll never forget that. $10 tstat turned into a getting flatbedded and extremely slowly and carefully extracted, $700. Their in a very awkward position on those trucks, pain in the ass changing tstat as you had to remove hoses, the radiator hoses, and few other things b/c they crammed that engine into a bay never made for a V8 lol. Took hours and hours and hours with heat and slowly extracting as you didn't want to really damage the bolt housings. And due to location to correctly heat and extract yiu basically have to remove the whole front to get clean access and no wonky blocked angles. So remove radiator, again something on that truck which was a nightmare to replace, don't that before. They designed it at factory so it was already installed and than the body put on and the at they designed the clips to hold it, fuck me. Make you want to murder Ford engineers. That's why bolt extractions are so expensive on those trucks lol.

That truck got a 331 stroker eventually haha. That thing was a blast, lifted, 160k miles and still ran flawlessly. I just had no room for it with move and I hadn't driven it in over a year. Now I'm regretting, few more years and could've slapped antique tags on it lol.

But I'll never forget a $10 tstat job turning into getting flatbedded and $700 bill, called. Two other shops that were closer and both quoted estimated $1k. That shop we knew said pry 6-800, so smack in the middle.

·
Registered
12,557 Posts
I’m trying to make peace with drilling and tapping a new hole. Its not something I trust myself to get right when its the viper in the crosshairs; will be looking for a legit mechanic or someone more confident than I if this nut fails.
Why when I had that happen on truck above I didn't even attempt, called a shop. As 99% of people at home trying to extract fucked the aluminum upper manifold so bad you had to replace that for even more $$$. Yours seems like mine where it wasnt oh just a lil seize, mine was like the god of seized bolts did his dirty work and laughed. If I remember it took the shop like 3 days and a our 5-6 hours per day to carefully extract. I'm sure as fuck glad I didn't attempt that myself back then haha, I would've been out more thousands for the upper manifold at the time. All for a $10 tstat lol

Craziest part is I soaked those bolts in penetrating oil for a week and drove to let heat expansion and that work, or try to as I knew the horror stories. 1 week of that and made zilch difference

1 - 2 of 2 Posts