Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you. The original hole made for the ezout was on center, but was challenging to keep on center when drilling the ezout. it kept wanting to wander around.
ok i'll also check the hardware store and see if they have one that's slightly shorter. hopefully it holds. i'll report back after i get everything reassembled and test drive.
thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I'm a machinist by trade and I can tell you there are some solid recommendations in this thread, and some not so solid ones. That said I'll add a few of my own since I do shit like this for a living. First and foremost you need to figure out the thread size. I have a Gen II engine in my basement so I checked the thread size for the thermostat housing and its 1/4-20. With that information you can determine what size drill is used to create the minor diameter of this particular thread, in this case a .201 diameter drill is used for a 1/4-20 thread. Since the broken extractor is out of the way now, use a drill that is slightly smaller than .201 (lets say .1875) so create a pilot hole. I have no idea what size hole you drilled to use the extractor, but hopefully it was smaller than .201. It is CRITICAL that the hole be ON CENTER. If the hole isn't on center you've opened up another can of worms that I won't cover in this post. After this hole that is ON CENTER as been created you may be able to pick out the remnants of the old bolt. If that isn't possible, then you gradually step up the size of the drill until you've reached the maximum drill size of .201. If you make the minor diameter any bigger than .201 you're going to start compromising thread strength. A 1/4-20 tap can then be used to chase out the remnants of the old bolt if you are unable to pick them out.
This is what I have done in the past and kind of what I was getting at in post#6 but didn't go into your details since my guess is he is free handing it with a hand drill and no jig. Problem is unless you experienced, doing it free handed with a hand drill you are not going to get it fully centered nor parallel with the thread.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
This is what I have done in the past and kind of what I was getting at in post#6 but didn't go into your details since my guess is he is free handing it with a hand drill and no jig. Problem is unless you experienced, doing it free handed with a hand drill you are not going to get it fully centered nor parallel with the thread.
This...the drill will slip, not be centered, the threads will get damaged and the shit show just gets started at that point.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I'm not a machinist but I like to think i have decent hand-eye coordination. the first hole i drilled thru the bolt was almost dead-on. drilling the broken the ezout is why it got a little messed up near the top (drill bit kept wanting to bounce around). but the newly tapped threads are holding torque so i'm hoping that's enough to not have any issues moving forward but i guess we'll see once everything's back together.

·
Sexist
43,890 Posts
Note to self: Lube the shit outta that screw before attempting to remove.

Good news is, it looks like there is plenty of material there so tapping for the next size screw shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
thats the same one i broke off on mine.
what a pain in the ass that turned into lol.

For sure Chuck! Hindsight 20/20 next time a bolt gets slightly tighter i'm gonna hose it down with pb blaster and tighten it back and let it sit for a while. I didn't think anything of it because the first two bolts did the same thing... got a little tighter on their way out. but both of them came out just fine and of course it's always the LAST bolt lol.

UPDATE: got the entire cooling system back together with all new silicone rad/heater hoses. new thermostat and gasket. hoping to get the intake back on today or tomorrow after work and taking it for a test drive.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I broke that same dang bolt to and I let it sit over night in penetrating oil. I even hit it with a hammer as someone else suggest and it still snapped right off flush with the block. I went through the same drilling episode with not as much luck as my easy out broke too after I got my pilot whole drilled.

Speaking of thermostat, I hope it was a MOPAR unit. I put a ROE 185 in as I had the car tuned by Dan L. at the same time I was doing all this. My car is now running stupid hot all the time and when speaking with Dan he advised that those aftermarket thermostats are notorious for not opening all the way and told me to go get a Gen3/4 185 Mopar stat. At nearly $300 it was sticker shock comparted to the $40 for the Roe unit. Just sharing so you don't fair the same as I did. I'm just praying that bolt holds again otherwise I'll be going with the Time Sert option as that is what he recommended.

Reactions: haneifk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yea once i have the intake back on i will take it for a test drive and hopefully will not find coolant seeping out of that area of the thermostat housing ://// speaking of which, I also ended up putting a lower temp thermostat in from viperpartsUSA. we'll see how it goes. hopefully i'll have some good news to share in the next day or two.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The problem with EZ outs on small bolts like that is that there isn't much meat left on the original screw when you drill it. So you have a tiny easy out. Then when you try to use the easy out it expands what's left of the bolt gets tight and breaks almost all the time. The other big problem is that you don't have a drill press to get in there so you are freehanding it which makes it impossible to be straight or on center. Done plenty of bolts like that. Bigger ones are easier. I was a machinist on an aircraft carrier and we were constantly fixing stuff like that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Update: Took it for a test drive tonight and the bolt held with no issues! Went thru a few temp cycles and everything was fine.

BigBadViper, that makes sense. Hopefully it won't happen again but if it does what would you advise? Was thinking maybe drilling and using a reverse-threaded bolt?

Rob, yes I understand it won't lower the maximum temp the engine will eventually reach

·
Sexist
43,890 Posts
From personal experience I can tell you that a 170° thermo in cold weather can prevent the motor from reaching optimum operating temps 190-210. Keep in mind I live in Florida so cold weather isn't really cold. My GTS has an aluminum radiator so that would also add to the operating temps. Just sayin' my temp gauge sat at 170° on the interstate on a cool night.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts