Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Out to lunch
Joined
·
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well on the way home from the Austin Get together a few weeks back my viper started leaking a little coolant. Everyone (myself included) thought it was the thermostat gasket or one of its components. I finally got it into the shop and it is pretty apperant I have the dreaded GEN1 weapy heads :bawling:

It is apperant that the heads have been wrenched before(socket marks on the bolts) and when I bought the car it did not have any documentation that this had been sorted out so one of the things I checked was to see if the bolts had marks.(I know this does not automaticly mean the heads were fixed) the car is a 93 and I bought it with 24k on the odometer, about 12 months ago. It now has 33k.

So here are my questions?
1.At what point do the weapy heads ussually apear?

2.If they had allready been fixed is it likely for it to occure again?

3.What causes it?

4.How much should it cost?

5.Is their a place it generaly happens?(mine seems to be passenger and driver side rear cylinders)


Any info would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,471 Posts
the weepy heads generally happen around 20K but of course that's not a guarentee.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,333 Posts
Usually the first tendency is to retorque the head bolts at signs of
head gasket problems. So maybe that was all that was done to your motor.
Although I doubt that would correct your problems now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,120 Posts
nohsreg2000 said:
Well on the way home from the Austin Get together a few weeks back my viper started leaking a little coolant. Everyone (myself included) thought it was the thermostat gasket or one of its components. I finally got it into the shop and it is pretty apperant I have the dreaded GEN1 weapy heads :bawling:

It is apperant that the heads have been wrenched before(socket marks on the bolts) and when I bought the car it did not have any documentation that this had been sorted out so one of the things I checked was to see if the bolts had marks.(I know this does not automaticly mean the heads were fixed) the car is a 93 and I bought it with 24k on the odometer, about 12 months ago. It now has 33k.

So here are my questions?
1.At what point do the weapy heads ussually apear?

2.If they had allready been fixed is it likely for it to occure again?

3.What causes it?

4.How much should it cost?

5.Is their a place it generaly happens?(mine seems to be passenger and driver side rear cylinders)


Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Just curious if you pulled the windshield cowl and checked the crossover at the thermostat? As for the leaking gen I heads.. its interesting.. some viper dealers will just pull the heads and change the gaskets with the newer style ones, others will send the engine in for an arrow rebuild. I seem to remember reading that the job for replacing the head gaskets runs about $1600 or so. It is caused by a failure in gasket material.. The older GenI gaskets would erode and at a certain point fail.
 

·
Out to lunch
Joined
·
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CitySnake said:
Chuck Tator 914 763-3136.
Thankyou! Citysnake. Chuck Tater is the ViperAlley hero of the day!!! I Gave him a call and He was great. I did not know that he owned the dealership? And I can't believe he took my call!!! If you know this guy personally citysnake you thank him for me if you would.(Nathan from san antonio)
Thats service, Even after I told him I just wanted to ask a few questions and I would not be doing business with him, He was still happy to talk to me. I would damn near drive to New York to buy a dodge from that guy :thumb:

I was shocked to learn that the new gasket set that will fix that problem is now $900 :doh:
 

·
Out to lunch
Joined
·
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just curious if you pulled the windshield cowl and checked the crossover at the thermostat? As for the leaking gen I heads.. its interesting.. some viper dealers will just pull the heads and change the gaskets with the newer style ones, others will send the engine in for an arrow rebuild. I seem to remember reading that the job for replacing the head gaskets runs about $1600 or so. It is caused by a failure in gasket material.. The older GenI gaskets would erode and at a certain point fail.
[/quote]

Yes, pulled the cowl and the crossover was dry. Presure tested the cooling system and it seems to be O.K. So as it stands right now it is probably the head gaskets. :bawling:
 

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
Joined
·
8,621 Posts
nohsreg2000 said:
CitySnake said:
Chuck Tator 914 763-3136.
Thankyou! Citysnake. Chuck Tater is the ViperAlley hero of the day!!! I Gave him a call and He was great. I did not know that he owned the dealership? And I can't believe he took my call!!! If you know this guy personally citysnake you thank him for me if you would.(Nathan from san antonio)
Thats service, Even after I told him I just wanted to ask a few questions and I would not be doing business with him, He was still happy to talk to me. I would damn near drive to New York to buy a dodge from that guy :thumb:

I was shocked to learn that the new gasket set that will fix that problem is now $900 :doh:
With some things I stopped giving my "expert" heresay advice and simply type his phone number. He REALLY knows his stuff, IS a Dodge dealer AND Viper Tech, and OWNS a Gen 1 Viper. He's also a straight up down to earth NICE guy! Happy to see he helped.

For the record, he's pretty good with parts too. 20% off Mopar and free shipping. He usually sends it out BEFORE you even mail your payment. Not too many like him around anymore. You can thank him yourself...I sent him a link to this thread! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,120 Posts
Sorry to hear that it wasn't the crossover noshreg. I am going to be changing that gasket in the next week or two, so that is why I asked. I agree with that Chuck Tator is a absolutely awesome person to work with. I have ordered several things from him and he is always prompt, and cuts you a great deal. My local 5 star is 10 miles away from where i live and I'd rather go through Chuck any day of the week.
 

·
FUSTFU
Joined
·
9,240 Posts
Take it to David Weaver /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,175 Posts
nohsreg2000 said:
CitySnake said:
Chuck Tator 914 763-3136.
Thankyou! Citysnake. Chuck Tater is the ViperAlley hero of the day!!! I Gave him a call and He was great. I did not know that he owned the dealership? And I can't believe he took my call!!! If you know this guy personally citysnake you thank him for me if you would.(Nathan from san antonio)
Thats service, Even after I told him I just wanted to ask a few questions and I would not be doing business with him, He was still happy to talk to me. I would damn near drive to New York to buy a dodge from that guy :thumb:

I was shocked to learn that the new gasket set that will fix that problem is now $900 :doh:
I also had heard that the gasket set went way way up recently , and called Darrin,(parts mgr.) at Maxwell Dodge to verify. He said that he can still get the head gasket set at the old low price. You should jump on this ASAP , if it is still available. I think they were selling for around $240 , but not sure. SPRAY!!
 

·
Out to lunch
Joined
·
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
viper spray said:
nohsreg2000 said:
CitySnake said:
Chuck Tator 914 763-3136.
Thankyou! Citysnake. Chuck Tater is the ViperAlley hero of the day!!! I Gave him a call and He was great. I did not know that he owned the dealership? And I can't believe he took my call!!! If you know this guy personally citysnake you thank him for me if you would.(Nathan from san antonio)
Thats service, Even after I told him I just wanted to ask a few questions and I would not be doing business with him, He was still happy to talk to me. I would damn near drive to New York to buy a dodge from that guy :thumb:

I was shocked to learn that the new gasket set that will fix that problem is now $900 :doh:
I also had heard that the gasket set went way way up recently , and called Darrin,(parts mgr.) at Maxwell Dodge to verify. He said that he can still get the head gasket set at the old low price. You should jump on this ASAP , if it is still available. I think they were selling for around $240 , but not sure. SPRAY!!

Post the Number or PM me please(to maxwell dodge). I will buy it tommorow. I called Arrow and they wanted about 400 for a complete upper gasket kit and I almost bit. So for 240 I am all over it.(BTW thanks for the Intel Viper Spray :thumb:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,175 Posts
Maxwell (512)219-3636 Don't quote me on the price , but I remember that is was less than $400 for sure!
 

·
Out to lunch
Joined
·
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
viper spray said:
Maxwell (512)219-3636 Don't quote me on the price , but I remember that is was less than $400 for sure!
Thanks Viper Spray I will call them first thing in the morning!

This thread has been a perfect example of how this site can be very helpfull and how the viper community is just great. I appreciate it! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Only thing to add, is that this is not a mileage problem,but a deteriation concern.
Make sure you get the current gasket, as there has even been revisions in the material used for some of the first fixes. Chuck can clue you in on this, but we have had numerous cars with the problem with only 3,000 - 5,000 miles, and you shouldn't be lulled into thinking you won't have this concern until later. This is a heads up for those of you who might read this and figure they have miles to go before the fix. Prices do somewhat vary for labor, but once you take it apart, I suggest you change all related gaskets also - instead of using the old ( 7-10 year old ones ). Best of luck and keep us posted on your fix.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top