Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home from work the Friday evening. I was cruising home from Manhattan on the Pulaski Skyway. My engine went BANG ! The rattle-rattle-rattle..... I imeadiately pushed the clutch pedal in and clicked the key. Looking behind me in the rearview mirror I saw black smoke that would make any locomotive envious. NOT GOOD!

Those that know the Pulaski Skyway, know it is not the place to break down.... It's a bridge with NO SHOULDER for approximately 2 miles, I was stuck in the hammer lane of 2 lanes..... As I was calling for the police to come and have a car sit behind me with its lights flashing, I literally thought I was done for 3 times- I was standing outside the truck. After the 3rd near impact- I decided the better- safer place would be inside the truck. As I was calling my brother to come rescue me with the roll back, I watched in the side mirror while I pressed the brake pedal like it was the hazard lights- I thought I was gonna get creamed by the cars wizzing into my lane..... It was crazy.

After a few more minutes of this I decided that if the engine cranks over I would limp it off of this madness...... It cranked sputtered and fired. NO OIL PSI.....I ran it carefully into 3rd gear and got up to a decent limp then clicked the key off again and coasted..... I literally smoked out all the lanes on both sides of the bridge...... After doing this twice I was finally able to coast down onto Route 1 and 9 onto the shoulder.......

As I waited for my brother to come with the rollback I spied a bulge in the oil pan on the passengers side, oil pissed from this bulge.....

When I finally got dropped into the driveway, I imeadiately started to tear into the oily mess. I discovered a window in the block on the drivers side, #3 connecting rod decided to part ways with the crankshaft......................

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now I am near yanking this hunk of broken oily aluminum, and I am in need of a replacement shortblock......

I spoke to Chuck Tator of Tators Dodge and he told me he has seen several Viper Engines with the same situation, #3 connecting rod failure......

Jeez I am known for finding the weak links in things far too often....

The engine is just about ready to yank after about 40+ something hours working on it.......

Damn- on my older Mopars I could have the engines out and on the engine stand in roughly 2 hours, taking my time no less:cursin:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
That sucks! At least you're saving money by doing the work yourself.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anyone has leads to a fresh short block I am all ears rite now.........:rolleyes:

·
Mercenary Mechanic
4,783 Posts
Hate it for you. Contemplating upgrades? A small hole like that could be repaired if nothing critical in the block got hit, and now's the time to get a stroker crank, rods, and forged pistons.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I won't know the extent of the damage until I can get it on the engine stand and flipped over for survey.....

Right now as it sits I am hunting for a short block...............

·
Premium Member
19,102 Posts
I've got an oil pan for you, it's a little beat up, but doesn't have any hole ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hate it for you. Contemplating upgrades? A small hole like that could be repaired if nothing critical in the block got hit, and now's the time to get a stroker crank, rods, and forged pistons.
I agree a small hole could be fixed but the extent of damage is far greater than that........

I finally pulled the top end of the engine....

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is # 4..............

Never actually seen a piston do this before- heard about it- never actually seen one.... until now....:cursin:

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Block is TOASTED...... notice cam- or rather the lack of the oiling galley thats supposed to be directly under the cam..... it's in pieces in the oilpan....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,078 Posts
You made a big error that could have cost you your life. Never sit in the vehicle. You must stay in front of the vehicle at least 100ft. I worked the BQE and Belt Pkwy in Brooklyn. We had more people killed or hurt from being in the car or sitting directly behind the car. You can see a lot more if you need to move from the front of the vehicle then the rear. When a car starts to skid he is more likely to crash behind your car or rearend it. If there is a storm out make sure you are not in that car in the hammer lane or you will be hammered.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I feel your pain!! The responsible party for who's dyno mine blew up on allowed me...oops I should say made me pay for the entire replacement of the motor :down:. They said it was because of nitrous but the piston shows no sign of that. I'll never purchase another vehicle from them again.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
how much you want for the blown up block shipped to 55110? i need a new coffee table at the shop.
Which one of us are you referring to? I'm certainly willing to sell mine but dont know what an unusable V10 aluminum motor goes for. Do you have a way for the motor to be shipped and will they come get it from 67735 zip code?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts