Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE PILOTS HAVE TO GO (THEY ARE THE WORST)
I NEED TO KNOW WHAT ARE THE BEST TIRES FOR THE 18X10 FRONT & 19X13 REAR?
IM LOOKING FOR A NONE RUN FLAT TIRE THAT IS MENT FOR THE TRACK BUT CAN BE DRIVEN ON THE STREET. ANY IDEAS WOULD HELP!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think the Pilot Zero Pressure tires are a pretty good street tire.

The SRT-10 entry in the 2003 One Lap of America ( One Lap Web Page ) ran the stock Pilot Sport Zero Pressure run-flats. That car was very quick on those tires and came in third place overall. They may have finished higher if they could have improved on their poor finish in the rain at Road America. For a little more background... the SRT-10 had ported heads, comp coupe camshaft (same as 1999 GTS), and no cats. The first place car was a 427 inch C5R motor with nitrous built by MTI in a widebody Z06 (Mich Pilot Sports). Second place was another 427 inch C5R motor with C5R heads in a Z06 built by Doug Rippie.

And from the drag racing side of things... MotorTrend was able to run a 10.76 second quarter mile and 0-60 in 2.99 seconds on the stock Pilot Zero Pressure tires. This was in a highly modified car (Venom 650R - stroker motor), but still demonstrates the ability of the tires.

Anyway... good luck on finding something better. Be sure and give us some feedback on what you end up trying.

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
I agree 100% with John - the new Pilots are badassed tires with a ton of R&D sunk into them. You can try Pirelli's, but don't expect to be blown away.

·
Registered
248 Posts
There was a thread on the m.org a little while ago about running bridgstone potenza re50's (OEM Enzo tires) on the SRT. They should be pretty sticky.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gentleman, i do realize the tire is a good one, until you take your car on the track and punish you car to the point that i have. i guess you will just not understand. the tires just get to the point that they do not work!
as for everyday driving..... yes they are good.

·
The Burn Clinic
12,779 Posts
That's going to happen to any street tire. If it's a real problem, it's always cheaper in the long run to run race rubber on another set of wheels.

The Pirellis are horseshit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
John Myrick said:
I think the Pilot Zero Pressure tires are a pretty good street tire.

The SRT-10 entry in the 2003 One Lap of America ( One Lap Web Page ) ran the stock Pilot Sport Zero Pressure run-flats. That car was very quick on those tires and came in third place overall. They may have finished higher if they could have improved on their poor finish in the rain at Road America. For a little more background... the SRT-10 had ported heads, comp coupe camshaft (same as 1999 GTS), and no cats. The first place car was a 427 inch C5R motor with nitrous built by MTI in a widebody Z06 (Mich Pilot Sports). Second place was another 427 inch C5R motor with C5R heads in a Z06 built by Doug Rippie.

And from the drag racing side of things... MotorTrend was able to run a 10.76 second quarter mile and 0-60 in 2.99 seconds on the stock Pilot Zero Pressure tires. This was in a highly modified car (Venom 650R - stroker motor), but still demonstrates the ability of the tires.

Anyway... good luck on finding something better. Be sure and give us some feedback on what you end up trying.
:clap: Good points!
mwag SRT 10 ... varying your tire pressure and/or seeking a more aggressive allignment may yield the improvement you're looking for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
since almost 100% of all SRT owners are also/have been GEN 1+2 drivers, we are all going to need another set of tires starting soon and continuing. Knowing the actual test numbers on these for street and best rims/tires swap for track for the best performance/value would be sweeet when buying.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Have you tried cranking up the pressure in your stock tires?

Mine tend to work better at the track with over 40psi in them.

Kai

·
Registered
932 Posts
Smackie said:
That's going to happen to any street tire. If it's a real problem, it's always cheaper in the long run to run race rubber on another set of wheels.

The Pirellis are horseshit.
Agreed in both points.

I run BFG g-force TA/KDs on one of the cars and it's a pretty decent street tire and an amazing (for a street tire) track tire.

I hate the Pilots on the track as well - Smackie is right and it's just easier/cheaper in the long run to run spare wheels + Hoosiers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I posted the Enzo deal, but the fronts are tooooooooo small, was going to go with a different size for the front but the tread design is Special for the Enzo, punting here /images/graemlins/freak

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.