Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading and hearing all the excitement from this last standing mile race from Nebraska, I think it would be cool to have another standing mile race this winter.

I have previously rented a test track here in Texas that has a 7 mile oval. This would be a good venue to do this kind of a shootout sometime this coming winter. The track is not far from San Antonio so we could make it a fun event.

So my question is simply, Who wants to play? We know what SVS and PC can do in the mile. How about any of the rest of you speed freaks? I will bring a car or 2 that will exceed my previous 197.8 mph standing mile test (670 rw hp).

We would probably do this in Jan. or Feb. of 2004. So please give me some feedback. Call your favorite tuner and tell them that this is their chance to come show everybody else how much better and faster that they are compared to their competitors.

I hope that SVS, PC (Heffner), WC Viper will come defend and improve on their recent mile runs. And I hope that drag racers such as Macedo / Roe, RSI, TNT, etc. will add an event such as this to their list of races.

The standing mile is truly a test of power, acceleration and reliability all rolled into one potentially very dangerous speed run.

We will most likely have different classes such as stock, bolt on, all motor, forced induction, nitrous and unlimited. Awards could be given for each class based on both terminal speed and ET.

OK - there you have it. Want a re-match from Sandhills? Want to show us how fast you can really go when you turn up the boost and take off the e-brake? Here is your chance. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
917 Posts
So you are saying you did 197 with only 670hp and SVS with 2oohp more only beat your record by 3mph???????Hmmm :idea: something dont sound right. I know about all the factors involved but with 200hp more............

·
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten
18,149 Posts

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Like all performance tests, there are so many variables and subjective things that affect the overall outcome that it's just ridiculous to keep making excuses, rehashing the same arguments, and so on.

A slight incline against a small head wind could greatly affect the outcome vs a flat or small decline and a small backwind. Altitude, barometric pressure, humidity, surface....it could go on and on.

I say just run, and you're final figure is your final figure. Just like the 1/4 mile, whoever makes it to the end first wins in my opinion. No sense in making excuses, that's just racing!

Sounds like a good event John. Hopefully you get it going. If so, I may just fly down and spectate.

Mike

·
Registered
917 Posts
Jerome said:
SnakeBit10 said:
So you are saying you did 197 with only 670hp and SVS with 2oohp more only beat your record by 3mph???????Hmmm :idea: something dont sound right. I know about all the factors involved but with 200hp more............
Read all the double talk on the m.org. :bonk:
I know. I was just there..SVS is claiming JH used 250hp shot of NOS on top of the 650hp to run the 197 in the mile.....Just doesnt make sense that a car with less hp[by 200] can be within 3mph even with all the variables that we know can a effect a cars performance especially at those extreme speeds....Wind, incline[apparantly this track had a slight incline], gearing, temperature etc.....

If JH really had 670rwhp then SVS with all the big talk, looks really stupid... Theres really no way to prove the hp either car was making at the time of the run..Boost could have been raised etc...I guess Ill just sit back and watch the show /images/graemlins/lurk.gif

·
Supporting Vendor
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having another standing mile event with a greater turnout of Vipers that were in Nebraska would help settle a lot of the bs that is going on now. SVS beat everybody at Sandhills I dont care if they were running 7 psi @ 850 rw or 27 psi @ 1200 rw hp - they won and thats what counts.

When we ran 8.93 nobody cared how much boost we ran, how much nos, etc., they just care that we turned the number. And that is how I look at the standing mile deal. If the owner of the car wants to under play or over play how they got the number, then thats fine. But the number speaks for itself either way.

So everyone needs to get over who ran how much boost, cfm, nos, tire pressure, etc at Sandhills, etc. Come to Texas this winter for a standing mile shootout and just kick some ass.

Personally, I would love nothing more than to spank any car that comes to the event. And I am sure that there are just as many who would like to kick my butt too in front of a crowd. Thats why this is a shootout.

I am calling out SVS and any other tuner who wants some of this action. And I am willing to put an event together to do it. Any takers?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PS - hey Jr., I dont need any nos to take you out either. Come find out in person LOL!

Right now the drag racing scene is very boring. Holding the 3 quickest ET's of 8.93, 9.28 and 9.38 with the next closest Viper (RSI) over a half second off the pace, I was actually looking for something new to do. Bonneville is too expensive and too dangerous in my opinion, so this standing mile thing is very interesting to me.

How much shit do I need to talk to you bitches?

Hey at least in the standing mile, yall wont have to cry about the "unfair advantage of the auto trans" bs. Thankfully RSI is building some sort of twin turbo Viper. So that will lessen their excuse list somewhat.

·
Registered
694 Posts
John,

How about making the event open to other cars?

If so you can get some of the supra/vette/porsche etc crowds involved. Would make an interesting event.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rwhp - yes, I want to include other fast street cars as well. At this point, I think we will make it open to all Vipers and on an invitational basis for non-Vipers. So if a fast Supra, C5, Porsche, etc. wants to compete, they can ask for an invitation. This way, if the event is limited to a maximum number of cars to run, the Vipers will get first chance to participate.

As interest grows in this event, I will stress that this kind of a race is about as dangerous of a race as you can get. Losing a tire or control of your car at 150 - 200+ mph will likely result in you taking dirt nap for the rest of your life.

·
Enlightened
28,764 Posts
Actually, I think the commentary on the numbers is strictly one of curousity and not having the background to know weather it takes 670hp or 870hp to pull of those kinds of numbers in that kind of distance.

Why is it that whenever someone issues a challange to others, its always local to them and a hike for everyone else? :twocents:

You'd think being Big Dog would mean people should come to you! lol

·
Supporting Vendor
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Packet - good points.

Motor Trend tested our first Venom 800 3 yrs ago. The car made 670 rw hp and 770 rw tq. It ran 10.1 @ 137 in the 1/4. In the standing mile it ran 194 mph and 197.8 mph on a wet road. Certainly the differences of any track conditions will dictate a lot of the details such as how much rw hp does it take to go xxx.xx speed, etc. Just like in drag racing, altitude of the test, wind direction and speed and other factors can greatly effect performance on any given day.

I would be glad to go to Nebraska next year to do the mile, dont have a problem with that at all. I would just like to do a mile event sooner and there is a tire test track that I know that I can rent. It just happens to be in Texas.

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
Jerome said:
SnakeBit10 said:
Read all the double talk on the m.org. :bonk:
Gotta Link Jerome?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
John, I would love to come to TX in the dead of winter and run my car in the mile. Hopefully I will remember how to shift!LOL! I do, however, think you should add some dimension to the shootout by having a Texas State trooper hiding somehwere on the side radaring. When you are actually allowed to go that fast, it kind of takes some of the excitement out of it IMO. I think the winner should get to get mock arrested and handcuffed(By a hot Stripper dressed up like a Trooper) and taken to the winner's circle in the police car! Maybe she could be like the cop in the movie, "Days of Thunder" If you do this, just remember who thought of it! That would be great fun. Count me in!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
John Hennessey said:
PS - hey Jr., I dont need any nos to take you out either. Come find out in person LOL!
John thanks for the congrats e-mail. Sorry about the NOS comment. What I meant by it was:

If you would have been at the (sandhills) you would have needed a 300 shot or more on top of that 670 to make it to 190mph. Also their was about a 10-15mph tailwind. Stayed like that for the whole event.

Considering all the factors you must have had one heck of a great place to do that standing mile. :nod: Did you do it at that 7 mile test track?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Jr.

Yes, no telling how we would have done at Sand Hills. Elevation, wind, etc. are all big time factors.

We did the standing mile test here in Houston for the Motor Trend deal from a few years back. You know, the private test track that is 3 lanes wide with wide shoulders on each side. Flat and sea level. The only downside was that the road was damp from rain. I had to short shift each gear while feathering the throttle all the way thru 4th gear. Once in 5th, I was able to put the hammer down.

I hope you can come down here this Winter and run with us at the test track over past San Antonio.

Does Maxton require a full cage, fuel cell, etc. to run 190+ in the mile. If not, we may try to bring something to NC in Oct. Let me know if you could, thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts