Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read online about owners modifying their factory airbox by taking out the rain baffle? does anyone have pics of this or a faq on it because i havent seen much info regarding this mod. anyone done it or seen it performed? thanks! /images/graemlins/smiles

· Registered
1,105 Posts
There is a baffle in the airbox to keep water from getting into the throttle bodies if the car is being driven in the rain.

Most have found no performance benefit to this mod. Don't do it.

Use the "search" feature if you want more information.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Once you take off the rear section of the airbox, the front part will come apart in 2 pieces - top and bottom. Which can make it easier to cut out the baffle, and rivet an aluminum floor in the bottom half like I did to cover up the sloping floor and deep rain trough that's there. The new Al floor starts near the front and goes right up in front of the filters. Incoming air now has nowhere to go but into the filters.

Results may vary, remember a lot of little things put together can add up to some gains along the way. A small section of sponge a bit longer and thicker than your NACA duct opening will seal it up if it's raining.

Keep in mind the ID of the airbox outlets never changed from 1992-2002, it's only like 2 1/4".

· Registered
3,847 Posts
[image]http://www.heffnersperformance.com/images/heffner%20airbox.jpg[/image]

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow guys, good info.

simms, are we looking at the top or bottom of the airbox in your pic? is that metal plate what is described in fe65's post a part that heffner sells? thanks and keep the info coming.

· Registered
3,847 Posts
That is the top of the airbox. The airbox in the pic is not mine, but from the ones I saw, the top portion of the airbox was cut out.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
The floor of the airbox (ahead of the filters) slopes down quite a bit into that rain trough. I covered it up with some sheet aluminum to provide a direct higher velocity path to the filters. -

· Registered
20 Posts
I have a stock box modded by Heffner like the picture Simms has. I am willing to trade for a Stock box that is still a virgin. I do not want anything for it but would like shipping fee.
Thanks
Bob Hummer

· Registered
771 Posts
I just re-baffled my air-box. My old one was busted and the idiot I bought it from had hacked it up real bad.

I got caught in a couple of torrential downpours and found water on my filters. Just a bit but enough for me to say screw it.

Also is easier to wash your car without worrying about shooting water into your NACA duct.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.